Am I crazy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
viacavour

Am I crazy?

Postby viacavour » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm

To turn down HLS for Chicago?

I just came back from Chicago's ASW and loved it. I really feel like I could/would be happy there, I loved the small size and the emphasis on student/faculty interaction.

I haven't visited Harvard yet, and their ASW is after Chicago's deadline so I'm in a bit of a bind. Harvard's large size intimidates me and I'm not sure that I would actually benefit from the pass/high pass system.

But I feel like I'm a little crazy to turn down Harvard. Any thoughts?

skers

Re: Am I crazy?

Postby skers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Well, how important is a non-diluted faculty to you?

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm

#humblebrag

Nice options though

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Well, how important is a non-diluted faculty to you?

TITCR

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 pm

If no money from Chicago, yes you crazy.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:31 pm

I don't think you're crazy, especially if Chicago has offered you some money. Both schools perform very well across the board when it comes to jobs/clerkships/academia, and it's very important for you to be at the school that you feel the most comfortable at and you feel like you will succeed at. If you feel like Chicago would be a better place for you, go to Chicago and don't second guess yourself.

viacavour

Postby viacavour » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Its important to me to have access to professors, to not to have to work really hard/ suck up to build relationships with them as I had to in UG

And there's 60k on the line from Chicago but ultimately money isn't going to be a deciding factor for me (I could pay for enough out of pocket that I could finish Harvard with only ~50k in debt)

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I don't think you're crazy, especially if Chicago has offered you some money. Both schools perform very well across the board when it comes to jobs/clerkships/academia, and it's very important for you to be at the school that you feel the most comfortable at and you feel like you will succeed at. If you feel like Chicago would be a better place for you, go to Chicago and don't second guess yourself.

Reeks of someone who is held at Harvard. amirite?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I don't think you're crazy, especially if Chicago has offered you some money. Both schools perform very well across the board when it comes to jobs/clerkships/academia, and it's very important for you to be at the school that you feel the most comfortable at and you feel like you will succeed at. If you feel like Chicago would be a better place for you, go to Chicago and don't second guess yourself.

Reeks of someone who is held at Harvard. amirite?

I'll freely admit that I'm held at Harvard. I have no qualms about saying that, and neither does that situation in any way change what I said.

OP has stated a strong preference for Chicago and money isn't an issue, even though he/she has scholarship money from Chicago. Further, the OP has not indicated in any way that he/she wants to gun for position in which Harvard would actually be better (prestigious clerkships or V10 firms). If the OP said in the post that he/she wants to have the best shot at an Article III clerkship, then I'd say Harvard hands down. This not being the case, and considering the OP's strong feelings for Chicago and the 60k scholarship, I don't think it's crazy for the OP to choose Chicago at all.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Most people would not make the decision the OP is making, but it is certainly not crazy and I say if OP is really happy about UChi, then he/she should go for it.

This coming from a guy who got in and loves Harvard...and UChi was the first school I withdrew from.

puppylaw

Postby puppylaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 pm

I also don't think it's crazy. Chicago is a great school and is pretty different from Harvard as far as top law schools go. If it feels better, it feels better.

jd5

Postby jd5 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Most people would not make the decision the OP is making, but it is certainly not crazy and I say if OP is really happy about UChi, then he/she should go for it.

This coming from a guy who got in and loves Harvard...and UChi was the first school I withdrew from.

+1. But OP should visit Harvard before making a final decision. If it turns out you really like HLS as well, then there's really no reason at all to go to UChi.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Also, OP went to an Ivy for undergrad. I feel like that makes the decision of turning down the Harvard lay-prestige a little more reasonable. I know that's a silly reason, but for me, it would factor in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”