Public Interest: Michigan ($) vs. NYU (sticker) vs. Duke ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU vs. Mich

NYU (sticker)
69%
Michigan (45k)
14%
Duke (67.5k)
17%

Total votes: 29

explorergirl

Public Interest: Michigan ($) vs. NYU (sticker) vs. Duke ($)

Postby explorergirl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm having a hard time reaching a decision and any input will be appreciated!
I've narrowed down my choices to NYU and Michigan, where I have a scholarship offer of $15k/year. After having visited both schools I was definitely more impressed with public interest programs and opportunities at NYU. Also, their LRAP program seems slightly better (even with the Mich scholarship, I'll still be paying off debt).
I'm specifically interested in environmental justice and want to end up up NYC eventually. But is it worth giving up 45k at Mich?
Last edited by explorergirl on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Re: Public Interest: Michigan ($) vs. NYU (sticker)

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:05 pm

explorergirl wrote:I'm specifically interested in environmental justice and want to end up up NYC eventually. But is it worth giving up 45k at Mich?

Yes. It sounds like you very much prefer NYU, and although $45k isn't anything to scoff at, it's not nearly a make or break amount imo.

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:06 pm

IMO, the 45K scholarship makes M a valid contender against NYU for PI. However, your desire to end up in NYC tips the scales in favor of NYU.

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Yeah, I think NYU wins this one. If it were more money I'd go with Michigan, but either way you're relying heavily on LRAP. Also WE ACT and Sustainable South Bronx are in NYC, so there's that...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Environmental justice networks will be massive in NYC compared to nil in Ann Arbor. You'll be paying out the nose anyway, so NYU for sure.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 pm

I'd probably pick NYU because it's still a ton of debt either way and you'll be using LRAP.

shepson

Postby shepson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:11 pm

I am actually facing the exact same decision, though with a slightly higher award from Michigan (no money from NYU). I'm looking for a career in public interest/international law, so NYU is a better fit in that realm. The debt 200k plus debt burden is intimidating to say the least, but I'll probably stomache it in the hopes of getting a better education and tapping into an alumni network that is more robust in the field I hope to work in.

shepson

Postby shepson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:14 pm

But to address your situation - I think in the long run the benefits of NYU, especially as far as alumni connections go, outweigh the lost 45k. At least, thats my own calculus.

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:19 pm

shepson wrote:But to address your situation - I think in the long run the benefits of NYU, especially as far as alumni connections go, outweigh the lost 45k. At least, thats my own calculus.
Yeah, alumni connections+NYC network+PI focus+[partial] irrelevance of debt due to LRAP>$45,000. I didn't apply to Michigan, but I imagine the magic number for me would be somewhere around $90,000.

aekea

Postby aekea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm

I agree with everyone that NYU seems like the better fit for you. Just wanted to note, however, that this isn't a $45k difference in cost. NY cost of living will be around $10k more a year so you're looking at taking out an extra $75k in loans for NYU. With interest that's going to be more than $75k.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Consider telling Mich how much you'd need for them to offer you in order to pick their school over NYU. See if they bite.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Michigan doesn't guarantee funding for PI in 1L summer, whereas NYU does. That should narrow the $ gap a little.

explorergirl

Re: Public Interest: Michigan ($) vs. NYU (sticker) vs. Duke ($)

Postby explorergirl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks for the input! All of these pro-NYU arguments are pretty much what I was already thinking, so it is good to get confirmation.
HOWEVER in an ironic turn of events, I just found out today that Duke is offering me a 67.5k scholarship. This should be good news, but I can't help but feel frustrated because I thought my decision was finally made, and there is no way I can make it to Durham to visit in the next few weeks. Do the same reasons NYU>Michigan still apply? Or does Duke's strong environmental law program and east coast location change things?

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I'd do Michigan or Duke, but I'm just opposed to paying sticker anywhere unless they're Yale or maybe H/S

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:07 pm

In this case, yes. NYU ftw.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:20 pm

NYU. Their LRAP is pretty amazing and you can make up to $80,000 without paying a cent, which is awesome. If you're just going to use LRAP it doesn't really matter exactly what your debt is anyway. And for public interest you really need to work and do internships during the school year and make connections, and NYU will help you get there.

explorergirl

Postby explorergirl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:26 pm

freestallion wrote:If you're just going to use LRAP it doesn't really matter exactly what your debt is anyway.

True true, but still scary to be in so much debt, even with the promise of having it all taken care of eventually. And we have to just trust that 13 years from now the federal program will still be active...

shepson wrote:The debt 200k plus debt burden is intimidating to say the least, but I'll probably stomache it in the hopes of getting a better education and tapping into an alumni network that is more robust in the field I hope to work in.

I'm leaning this way too, but I'm attempting scholarship negotiations before making a final decision. Does anyone think Michigan/Duke offers will hold any sway at NYU?

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:55 pm

PI Jobs aren't exactly plentiful right now, so it's a bit of an assumption to think that someone can just casually incur 200k in debt and LRAP it away. IMO it's easier to get a biglaw job from NYU/Mich/Duke than a PI job, especially if only interested in environmental work.

Taking the scholarship from Mich/Duke will allow you to hedge your bets a bit AND both of them have lower COA. To me, NYU at sticker if your goal is PI is not the best call.

Also remember that you're locking yourself into PI for 10 years, and while you may feel passionate about XYZ field now, who know if you'll feel that way after 5 years on the job?

If you go to NYU, you'll probably end up okay, but I think Mich/Duke is the safer choice. Both of them can place you into PI.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”