UVA (Half) v. Gtown ($135k) v. Vandy (Full + Stipend)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me decide:

UVA ($75k)
20%
Georgetown ($135k)
22%
Vandy (full ride + stipend)
58%

Total votes: 99

danielhay11

Re: UVA (Half) v. Gtown ($135k) v. Vandy (Full + Stipend)

Postby danielhay11 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for all the incredibly helpful and honest feedback.

@Rad's question: If I had to decide today, I'd probably want to either come back to DE or move to DC. I have decent-to-strong ties in both regions.

As far as what type of law I want to practice, I'm not especially tied to one field or another, thou the default as of now is private practice/big law. If I returned to DE, I'd be interested in commercial litigation (perhaps clerking for the Chancery Court) or, in in DC, election law. Also, as a teacher, I'm interested in remaining in the education policy space, but I don't know if that's a feasible JD career or just something I should pursue personally (volunteering, board service, donating, etc.).

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 am

danielhay11 wrote:Thanks for all the incredibly helpful and honest feedback.

@Rad's question: If I had to decide today, I'd probably want to either come back to DE or move to DC. I have decent-to-strong ties in both regions.
As far as what type of law I want to practice, I'm not especially tied to one field or another, thou the default as of now is private practice/big law. If I returned to DE, I'd be interested in commercial litigation (perhaps clerking for the Chancery Court) or, in in DC, election law. Also, as a teacher, I'm interested in remaining in the education policy space, but I don't know if that's a feasible JD career or just something I should pursue personally (volunteering, board service, donating, etc.).

If you don't want the South then G'town at that price is a pretty sweet deal

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 am

You sound like my gf's TFA boss. Could it be true?

Gtown, btw.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 am

These are not the three schools I would have narrowed it down to based on reading your results in your profile. Nevertheless, of the listed options, I think I'd go with Vandy (mainly because of your expressed preference).

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:47 am

danielhay11 wrote:@Rad's question: If I had to decide today, I'd probably want to either come back to DE or move to DC. I have decent-to-strong ties in both regions.

According to rad's numbers on Vandy and Gtown, I think Gtown has the huge edge in placing people in the Mid-Atlantic region. Gtown is 61% in NYC and DC alone, and Vandy is 41% for all of the Mid-Atlantic and South Atlantic. Rad, I get your point that Vandy is more portable within the East Coast than I had initially thought, but I still think Gtown has the edge here considering the OP's geographic preferences.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”