Cornell (15K/yr) v. Boston University (37k/yr)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell or Boston University

Cornell (15k/yr)
83%
Boston University (37k/yr)
17%

Total votes: 18

MAapplicant

Cornell (15K/yr) v. Boston University (37k/yr)

Postby MAapplicant » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:37 pm

So I have narrowed it down to BU and Cornell. Originally I was dead set on Cornell, but after visiting BU and receiving a much better offer I am truly torn. Here is some info:

- RETAKE is not an option. :P

- Tried negotiating with Cornell, however was told $ would remain the same.

- Want to practice BigLaw.

- Market I want to work in is CA -> NY ---> Boston (CA schools are not an option as I am waitlisted at USC and UCLA).

I know COA for BU is about 62K a year whereas COA for Cornell is 72K, however I am having trouble trying to figure out how much I should accept in loans and what I would owe once interest was calculated. Also anyone that could do a rough estimate of monthly payments upon graduating would be greatly appreciated!!

Any other thoughts, advice, and/or warning are welcomed!

Doorkeeper

Re: Cornell (15K/yr) v. Boston University (37k/yr)

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Neither option is great at these prices, but if you want biglaw then Cornell is the only proper answer.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Neither option is great at these prices, but if you want biglaw then Cornell is the only proper answer.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Neither option is great at these prices, but if you want biglaw then Cornell is the only proper answer.

I guess that depends on your definition of great. More money would certainly be nice, but Cornell with 45k = other t14s with 30k and there are plenty of people attending those schools with that amount or less.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:28 pm

This is being too debt averse. Cornell with 15k/yr is a fine option unless you have a large amount of previous debt or have some other reason to need to avoid debt.

To OP, take Cornell, much better job prospects is worth the 60-70k additional cost.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”