Full ride at UT Austin v 1/2 ride at Michigan

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UTA full ride or UM 1/2 ride

University of Texas (Free)
18%
University of Michigan (1/2 Free)
82%

Total votes: 34

NW Transplant

Full ride at UT Austin v 1/2 ride at Michigan

Postby NW Transplant » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:01 pm

I just got home from UM's Preview Weekend, and I was absolutely convinced that Mich was the right choice for me over Columbia. Then I opened my mailbox and found a full ride from UT. I'm not very interested in practicing in the South; I've been living in Texas for a few years now and it is not a good fit. I would love to get back to my native Pacific Northwest, and I am reasonably sure that UM would be a better vehicle for that goal. But I'm not sure if its 75k better. Thoughts?

Also, not totally amused by this "sixigan" nonsense.

rad lulz

Re: Full ride at UT Austin v 1/2 ride at SIXIGAN!

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:05 pm

j
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Depends on how D_E_B_T averse you are. I personally think it would be crazy to turn down UM for 75k. A Mich degree is more portable than a Texas one, maybe not for the pacific northwest because I don't know that region, but in general.

eaper

Postby eaper » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:47 pm

NW Transplant wrote:I just got home from UM's Preview Weekend, and I was absolutely convinced that Mich was the right choice for me over Columbia. Then I opened my mailbox and found a full ride from UT. I'm not very interested in practicing in the South; I've been living in Texas for a few years now and it is not a good fit. I would love to get back to my native Pacific Northwest, and I am reasonably sure that UM would be a better vehicle for that goal. But I'm not sure if its 75k better. Thoughts?

Also, not totally amused by this "sixigan" nonsense.

Mich because of bolded. You can definitely get out of the south with a degree from Texas, but it would be considerably harder than with a degree from Mich (Unless you're really worried about that extra debt/super debt adverse).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”