Washburn Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
washburndude

Washburn Law

Postby washburndude » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 am

I am a Kansas resident, I intend to practice here when I graduate. Someone please tell me anything and everything you know about this school including quality of education, overall reputation, and -this sort of goes without saying- JOB PROSPECTS.

I look forward to any responses for or against.

*I initially posted this in the wrong forum-sorry!

JasonR

Re: Washburn Law

Postby JasonR » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:00 am

Probably places OK in Topeka and Kansas in general, though KU will do better. It's a 3rd-tier (almost 4th-tier) school, so no job prospects outside of KS. If you can't get a nice scholarship package, it's not worth the debt.

What's your LSAT/GPA? Are you a URM?

AshC1013

Postby AshC1013 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:44 am

As a student of Washburn right now, I can say that I have had really good resources and connections available for finding work in Kansas. I was hired at a local Topeka firm for my entire 2L year, and a lot of my friends are busy clerking with local judges, Federal judges, working at Government legal departments, etc. I'm planning to return back to Kansas City and have accepted an internship in the Kansas City area for my 3L year.

It's been my experience that just as many law students apply from different area schools, but just as many Washburn students are hired as other law schools. It just depends on your personal achievements and merits, not the name of a particular school over another. Washburn is also wonderful about scholarships and financial aid, so if you're able to reduce your debt that way then you're really helping yourself in the long run by avoiding further loans.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Is it Washburn at full price or do you have scholarships? What about KU?

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:47 pm

A lot of good lawyers come out of Washburn, they just by and large start up their own firms. Don't count on having a job under someone else's roof after graduation.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 pm

AshC1013 wrote:As a student of Washburn right now, I can say that I have had really good resources and connections available for finding work in Kansas. I was hired at a local Topeka firm for my entire 2L year, and a lot of my friends are busy clerking with local judges, Federal judges, working at Government legal departments, etc. I'm planning to return back to Kansas City and have accepted an internship in the Kansas City area for my 3L year.

It's been my experience that just as many law students apply from different area schools, but just as many Washburn students are hired as other law schools. It just depends on your personal achievements and merits, not the name of a particular school over another. Washburn is also wonderful about scholarships and financial aid, so if you're able to reduce your debt that way then you're really helping yourself in the long run by avoiding further loans.

Can't wait for the ensuing shitstorm re: the bolded.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I have 5 family members who got their JD at Washburn. They all loved it. Even though the rankings have KU ahead of Washburn, Washburn is looked at as its equal throughout the state. Washburn grads are in every single town in the entire state of Kansas. If you want to practice in Kansas then you can't go wrong with Washburn.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm

AshC1013 wrote:As a student of Washburn right now, I can say that I have had really good resources and connections available for finding work in Kansas. I was hired at a local Topeka firm for my entire 2L year, and a lot of my friends are busy clerking with local judges, Federal judges, working at Government legal departments, etc. I'm planning to return back to Kansas City and have accepted an internship in the Kansas City area for my 3L year.

What kind of job/salary do you expect to land?

Private firm? Salary range?

What % of this year's 3L's do you expect to be employed at graduation?

noBass

Postby noBass » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:33 pm

The Phelps guy (who protests soldiers funerals) went to Washburn

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:56 pm

noBass wrote:The Phelps guy (who protests soldiers funerals) went to Washburn

completely irrelevant

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm skeptical of the bolded, unless by "clerking" you mean "interning," rather than an actual, post-graduate clerkship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”