Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Decisions Decisions (Updated Scholly Amounts)

Chicago-Kent, PT Evening, $11.5k/year *updated*
13
48%
DePaul, FT $15k/yr 3.2 Stip
3
11%
Oregon, FT $20k/yr *updated*
11
41%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Postby Birdnals » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 pm

ashen wrote:This kind of thread necro but I couldn't help it.

Oregon has bumped my scholly up to 20k/year essentially dropping my total debt (if I attend) to less than 40k.

This is hands down my cheapest option this cycle and I am tempted to try my hand at a fresh start in the Pac-NW.

Of course, I haven't been WL Rejected at UIUC yet and my recent PTs are going great (in the low 170s already) but I just felt that the quadrupling of my initial scholarship was worth the consideration.

Thoughts?


Even if you bomb the LSAT, all these options will still be there next year. Get an entry level job, get some WE on your resume, bump up your LSAT, and apply right after you get your results back.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Postby Paul Campos » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:08 pm

ashen wrote:This kind of thread necro but I couldn't help it.

Oregon has bumped my scholly up to 20k/year essentially dropping my total debt (if I attend) to less than 40k.

This is hands down my cheapest option this cycle and I am tempted to try my hand at a fresh start in the Pac-NW.

Of course, I haven't been WL Rejected at UIUC yet and my recent PTs are going great (in the low 170s already) but I just felt that the quadrupling of my initial scholarship was worth the consideration.

Thoughts?



These schools keep dropping the price because they're having trouble filling their classes. They're having trouble filling their classes because a lot of their grads aren't getting jobs, and a lot of the rest are getting low-paying very insecure legal jobs that don't justify COA. In other words they're trying to get you to buy something that has negative net present value.

When you take the LSAT without proper preparation you get a low score.

When you get a low score you get admitted to schools with terrible employment stats.

When you get admitted to schools with terrible employment stats you talk yourself into going because they offer you a great "deal."

When you talk yourself into going because they offer you a great "deal" you end up deeply in debt and seriously under-employed.

When you end up deeply in debt and seriously under-employed, you spend a lot of days drinking vodka and OJ before noon and posting on JD Underground.

Don't spend your days drinking vodka and OJ before noon and posting on JD Underground.

Retake the LSAT.

ashen
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Postby ashen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:
ashen wrote:This kind of thread necro but I couldn't help it.

Oregon has bumped my scholly up to 20k/year essentially dropping my total debt (if I attend) to less than 40k.

This is hands down my cheapest option this cycle and I am tempted to try my hand at a fresh start in the Pac-NW.

Of course, I haven't been WL Rejected at UIUC yet and my recent PTs are going great (in the low 170s already) but I just felt that the quadrupling of my initial scholarship was worth the consideration.

Thoughts?

Do you have outside financing or something?

Parents have offered to cover Room and Board and living expenses. I just have to pay for tuition.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:59 pm

Going to Oregon wouldn't be the stupidest idea, but I wouldn't go to a regional school in the region I'm not from, and I'm not sure your parents would still be up for funding you if they knew what was up w the legal market these days.

Just so we're clear, "wouldn't be the stupidest idea" isn't saying much.

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Postby abc12345675 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I disagree with some of the posts that going to school in Oregon is not sufficient ties. Get out there, establish Oregon residency, do legal internships in Oregon during your time there and I think you'll be good to go. You're not tied to the place you were born for legal employment. I just don't believe that. Maybe BIG firms in Oregon are like that, but really I think you'd be okay.

I voted Oregon. You have the best scholarship there and though its a smaller market you have a better shot of finding solid employment than you do in Chicago out of Kent or Depaul. Just my 2 cents. But make sure you're okay living in Oregon long term.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Postby Icculus » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 pm

If you're already PT'ing in the low 170s I think your best bet is to retake in October and not attend any school this fall. Rather, get a job, any kind of job, and reapply for next year. YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF even if you only improve to a mid-high 160s. Your parents will also be happy when they realize how much better off you'll be. As someone said earlier, worst case scenario these options will be around next year, and you give the economy another year to recover.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Postby flem » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 am

Paul Campos wrote:These schools keep dropping the price because they're having trouble filling their classes. They're having trouble filling their classes because a lot of their grads aren't getting jobs, and a lot of the rest are getting low-paying very insecure legal jobs that don't justify COA. In other words they're trying to get you to buy something that has negative net present value.

When you take the LSAT without proper preparation you get a low score.

When you get a low score you get admitted to schools with terrible employment stats.

When you get admitted to schools with terrible employment stats you talk yourself into going because they offer you a great "deal."

When you talk yourself into going because they offer you a great "deal" you end up deeply in debt and seriously under-employed.

When you end up deeply in debt and seriously under-employed, you spend a lot of days drinking vodka and OJ before noon and posting on JD Underground.

Don't spend your days drinking vodka and OJ before noon and posting on JD Underground.

Retake the LSAT.


I lol'd

Bro just concentrate on retaking the LSAT in October if you're already PTing that high. Even if you bomb you'll still get into these same schools with equal or better scholarships. Get 'dat 170+ and laugh at the fact that you considered these schools while you're enjoying top schools that will allow you to make it rain on 'dem hoes.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: erinkh and 2 guests