Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Decisions Decisions (Updated Scholly Amounts)

Chicago-Kent, PT Evening, $11.5k/year *updated*
48%
DePaul, FT $15k/yr 3.2 Stip
11%
Oregon, FT $20k/yr *updated*
41%

Total votes: 27

ashen

Bronze

Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Post by ashen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Here's my situation:

I grew up in Chicago and my parents still live here.
As I'm nearing the end of my cycle (save for the waitlists), my top choices in Chicago are:
Chicago-Kent PT Evening and DePaul FT w/$15k/yr.
(WL at LUC and UIUC; not going to foolishly expect to get accepted off WL to either school)
Of course, I'd be moving back in with my parents and commuting so COL is negligible.

On the other hand, I've been itching to get out to the Pacific NW for the past few years. I would have happily spent 4 years at UW for undergrad if I didn't have 1/2 off tuition at UIUC.
This is where the twist comes in. I've gotten a small amount of money from Oregon (essentially in-state tuition), coupled with the fact that tuition at UO is tons cheaper than Chicago-Kent and DePaul. Brushing my obligatory attachment to Chicago aside, I'd love to live/work in Portland (don't bring up L&C; I didn't apply). My parents have offered to cover my COL during law school if I leave Chicago so attending Oregon would actually be cheaper for me than staying in Chicago.

Retaking the LSAT isn't an option for me and I will have to make do with the offers I have now.
In any case, I'm torn between these three schools and wouldn't mind any advice/insight.
Last edited by ashen on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

traehekat

Gold

Re: Chicago-Kent vs. DePaul vs. Oregon

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 pm

If you haven't taken the LSAT 3 times already, then you should retake.

Assuming you have taken the LSAT 3 times, going to Oregon doesn't make much sense. You didn't mention any ties to the Pacific NW, and the type of employers that are going to recruit from Oregon are for the most part going to be looking for ties to the region. Just going to law school there is not sufficient to qualify as a "tie" for most employers, and thus even with good grades employers are going to be hesitant to hire you. Not to mention Oregon's placement can't be very good to begin with. On the other hand, both Chicago-Kent and DePaul are being sued, so there's that...

I wouldn't recommend attending any of these school, but if I had to choose one I guess I would go with DePaul and just pray you land in the top 1-5% of your class.

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:21 pm

I am a Chicago-Kent Alum (Class of 2011, so recent alum), I enjoyed my time there. Not sure if it is worth full price.

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:53 pm

Kent is NOT worth that price, PT is still crazy expensive. DePaul isn't worth 27k a year with the scholly, plus only 30% keep it, and they WILL section stack.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:13 pm

I was concerned with attending Kent at sticker as well. But I'm wondering if, on the otherhand, factoring out COL makes a big difference. Chicago is an expensive city and the fact that I won't have to worry about expenses other than tuition puts me in a better position that some scholarship recipients financially.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 pm

ashen wrote:I was concerned with attending Kent at sticker as well. But I'm wondering if, on the otherhand, factoring out COL makes a big difference. Chicago is an expensive city and the fact that I won't have to worry about expenses other than tuition puts me in a better position that some scholarship recipients financially.
just focus on what YOU are spending, not what what you are spending relative to other people.

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Evening programs are tough. I went through the evening program because I was working full time, but if you have a choice of whether to attend a day or evening program, then go with the day program. You will get more of the law school experience. Also, you are done in 3 years rather than 4. Finishing my second year and only being at the halfway point kind of sucked.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Update: 4k/yr guaranteed at Chicago-Kent for a total of 16k.
Leaning really hard towards Chicago-Kent now. Don't want to deal with DePaul's gpa stip.
Also I've done some quick calculations and as it stands, I'm looking at roughly $114k in debt at Chicago-Kent or $81k at UOregon.
Jeebus, I'm guessing I'll be paying back loans for a couple of decades...
Last edited by ashen on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:30 pm

ashen wrote:Update: 4k/yr guaranteed at Chicago-Kent for a total of 16k.
Leaning really hard towards Chicago-Kent now. Don't want to deal with DePaul's gpa stip.
Why exactly isn't retaking an option for you? If you retook and went to a good 3-year program, you would graduate the same time as if you went to a 4-year program now...

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 pm

bdole2 wrote: Why exactly isn't retaking an option for you? If you retook and went to a good 3-year program, you would graduate the same time as if you went to a 4-year program now...
Been out of undergrad for a while now and taking another year off without employment isn't in my best interests. There's also the option of switching to FT after my first year.

Plus my very sub-par undergrad GPA isn't going anywhere. Regardless of how well I retake, I'll be limited to T1 schools as I doubt I'd be competitive at T14 schools without a 175+

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 am

I also applied to all of these schools. Tuition at Kent and DePaul are ridiculous. Oregon, definitely!

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 am

ashen wrote:
bdole2 wrote: Why exactly isn't retaking an option for you? If you retook and went to a good 3-year program, you would graduate the same time as if you went to a 4-year program now...
Been out of undergrad for a while now and taking another year off without employment isn't in my best interests. There's also the option of switching to FT after my first year.

Plus my very sub-par undergrad GPA isn't going anywhere. Regardless of how well I retake, I'll be limited to T1 schools as I doubt I'd be competitive at T14 schools without a 175+
T1 schools with money would be better than the options you have now. UIUC, IUB, WUSTL, etc... are all midwestern schools that accept splitters. You know what would be worse than being unemployed another year? Being unemployed with over $150,000 dollars in debt. Retake the LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 am

ashen wrote:

Get a job bagging groceries or stacking shelves. If your parents are willing to cover CoL for you to move to Oregon they will be willing to cover CoL so you can make a better investment in your future.

The Chicago schools you listed are not good investments at that price. UOregon might be if you had ties to Oregon.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:36 am

Oregon. If unhappy, this is one situation which should allow you to transfer back to Chicago area law schools if you perform at or near median.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

Deposited at Kent, waiting on UIUC WL action.
Hardcore studying for the LSAT this summer for a potential October retake.
If I can consistently PT in the 170+ range I'm withdrawing, retaking, and reapplying.
Took the LSAT after a week of studying last December before I even knew of TLS and scored a 160 (lost all my points on RC and LR :cry: ... Got -0 on LG after only skimming the first half of the LG bible).
Would it be reasonable for me to aim for 175+?
I sincerely hope I'm making the right choice.
If I prep for the LSAT, I won't have time to go gunner style 0L in the case that my PT scores don't show significant improvement and I give up on a retake and matriculate this Fall.

In any case, as harsh as your all of your advice has been, it has motivated me not to sell myself short and settle on law school.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:38 am

traehekat wrote:
I wouldn't recommend attending any of these school, but if I had to choose one I guess I would go with DePaul and just pray you land in the top 1-5% of your class.
I'd agree with this, but you can change the 1-5% to 1-10% as that is the automatic grade on to LR threshold (unless they have changed it) and having that means you have some tiny bit of hope of finding a job as opposed to utter despair. TBH I dunno if I'd pay to go there, though it seems you have close to half tuition and COL is negligible for you.

EDIT: I did pay to go there (now a 3L)...transferred out though and looking back I wouldn't have risked paying full freight

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:44 am

ashen wrote:Deposited at Kent, waiting on UIUC WL action.
Hardcore studying for the LSAT this summer for a potential October retake.
If I can consistently PT in the 170+ range I'm withdrawing, retaking, and reapplying.
Took the LSAT after a week of studying last December before I even knew of TLS and scored a 160 (lost all my points on RC and LR :cry: ... Got -0 on LG after only skimming the first half of the LG bible).
Would it be reasonable for me to aim for 175+?
I sincerely hope I'm making the right choice.
If I prep for the LSAT, I won't have time to go gunner style 0L in the case that my PT scores don't show significant improvement and I give up on a retake and matriculate this Fall.

In any case, as harsh as your all of your advice has been, it has motivated me not to sell myself short and settle on law school.
Good decision bruh. Aim for perfect. These were all terrible options.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

Great decision OP. Aim for the best score you can get. 175+ probably isn't happening (just based on the odds), but 170+ or even high 160s would make a huge difference for you. The schools you have on your list now are not in your long-term best interests, and some of them are just downright terrible financially. You are making the right call. Kick ass on the LSAT and good luck next cycle!

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Dammit... after committing to an October retake, Chicago-Kent has upped my scholly to 11.5k/year guaranteed (almost tripling the original amount). Already PT-ing 5-7 points higher than my official score after about a week of studying and I think I have a reasonable chance at 170+...

Total COA (regardless of whether or not I switch to FT) will come out to 80k minus whatever I earn through summer employment opportunities.

It's hard for me to turn this offer down especially considering I intend on staying in Chicago for the foreseeable future. With my plans, the only other reasonable schools I could attend with a retake are UIUC (where I am currently waiting out a WL) and Wash U. U of C of course is out of the question with my gpa and Northwestern would require I score at least a 172 and work for a couple of years for a reasonable shot.

Any thoughts/advice?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 08, 2012 3:24 pm

ashen wrote:Dammit... after committing to an October retake, Chicago-Kent has upped my scholly to 11.5k/year guaranteed. PT-ing 5-7 points higher than my official score after about a week of studying and I think I have a reasonable chance at 170+

Total COA (regardless of whether or not I switch to FT) will come out to 80k minus whatever I earn through summer employment opportunities.

It's hard for me to turn this offer down especially considering I intend on staying in Chicago for the foreseeable future. With my plans, the only other reasonable schools I could attend with a retake are UIUC (where I am currently waiting out a WL) and Wash U. U of C of course is out of the question with my gpa and Northwestern would require I score at least a 172 and work for a couple of years for a reasonable shot.

Any thoughts/advice?
Still concentrate on retaking. A total scholarship of 33K at Chicago-Kent isn't worth it when roughly only 60% of graduates are landing full time JD required employment

~60% figure comes from subtracting business and industry (likely non-law related low wage jobs like retail).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Even if they gave a full ride, I'd still retake. You can do better. You'll look back and be so glad you waited.

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Last edited by donniedarko on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 pm

This kind of thread necro but I couldn't help it.

Oregon has bumped my scholly up to 20k/year essentially dropping my total debt (if I attend) to less than 40k.

This is hands down my cheapest option this cycle and I am tempted to try my hand at a fresh start in the Pac-NW.

Of course, I haven't been WL Rejected at UIUC yet and my recent PTs are going great (in the low 170s already) but I just felt that the quadrupling of my initial scholarship was worth the consideration.

Thoughts?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:22 pm

ashen wrote:This kind of thread necro but I couldn't help it.

Oregon has bumped my scholly up to 20k/year essentially dropping my total debt (if I attend) to less than 40k.

This is hands down my cheapest option this cycle and I am tempted to try my hand at a fresh start in the Pac-NW.

Of course, I haven't been WL Rejected at UIUC yet and my recent PTs are going great (in the low 170s already) but I just felt that the quadrupling of my initial scholarship was worth the consideration.

Thoughts?
Do you have outside financing or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”