Loyola (LA) vs Tulane

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dox

Loyola (LA) vs Tulane

Postby dox » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:01 pm

I am so torn between the two. I want to end up doing some sort of corporate/international law and I want to later gain admission to the NY bar.

I really cannot decide. Not considering money at all, which would you attend? Which has the more prestigious name and the more "national" reputation? Which offers the better law experience in your opinion?

I have visited both LA and New Orleans and I love em both. I pretty much wanna know which of the two is typically considered the better school overall. They are also tied on US News' rankings, so i cant even use the rankings as a tie breaker! lol

HELP!

thanks in advance

pugilistjd

Re: Loyola (LA) vs Tulane

Postby pugilistjd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:05 pm

If you want to practice in NY, go to a school in NY, unless you go to a T14.

dox

Postby dox » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:11 pm

thanks for ur response.

in NY, i got into Brooklyn law school. But I think Tulane and Loyola are simply better schools.

Besides, I'm sure its very feasible to practice in NY coming from a school out of state.

Bro, if i could go to a T14, I would, but I cant. Graduated from Vandy with a 3.7 but did horrible on the LSAT (159).

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 pm

dox wrote:Besides, I'm sure its very feasible to practice in NY coming from a school out of state.

This is feasible if you place in the top 10% and/or have strong ties to NY. For what its worth, I'm pretty sure top 10% at Tulane beats top 10% at Loyola in NY. But you shouldn't go to law school assuming that you'll be top 10%. Its healthy to aim for that, but only while keeping in mind the very real possibility that you might get stuck in either LA or NOLA after graduation.

checkster

Postby checkster » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:34 pm

If you aren't worried about $, its Tulane. Period.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38 am

dox wrote:Bro, if i could go to a T14, I would, but I cant. Graduated from Vandy with a 3.7 but did horrible on the LSAT (159).

Yes you can. Retake the LSAT, bro.
Last edited by bdole2 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:41 am

1) Retake
2) If you refuse to retake, go to a school in NY. Tulane is not so much better than Brooklyn that you should choose it over Brooklyn if you want to practice in NY
3) not sure this is actually real

dox

Postby dox » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:40 am

ilovesf wrote:1) Retake
2) If you refuse to retake, go to a school in NY. Tulane is not so much better than Brooklyn that you should choose it over Brooklyn if you want to practice in NY
3) not sure this is actually real

what do u mean you're not sure this is actually real?

I'm really against retaking, as I am living abroad in the middle east working at an IP firm until July/August (I grew up in the Middle East so I am an international student, but a dual citizen). Don't really have time for it. And, I doubt I can score much higher if I retake anyway. Time really killed me on the LSAT, even though I don't find the test hard in terms of content, etc.

And, when you all say "retake", does that imply not going to any school this fall and reapplying in the next cycle? Why the heck would I waste another year (I graduated college a semester early, and spent a year and a half trying to find a job before deciding to go to law school).

Thanks for your advice all. I think I'm leaning towards Tulane. I just dont understand going to an inferior law school just because it's in NY. After Tulane or Loyola, couldn't I just take the NY bar?? Then I'd be able to practice law in NY, right? Sometimes this forum is a little intimidating with everyone asking others to retake or just spend another year going thru this damn law school application process.

dox

Postby dox » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:43 am

bdole2 wrote:
dox wrote:Bro, if i could go to a T14, I would, but I cant. Graduated from Vandy with a 3.7 but did horrible on the LSAT (159).

Yes you can. Retake the LSAT, bro.

If I retake the LSAT, does that mean I have to wait another year to go to law school? If so, that's not an option. Wouldn't it be better to work hard in my first year wherever I go, and then maybe transfer somewhere a little better?

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 am

dox wrote:If I retake the LSAT, does that mean I have to wait another year to go to law school? If so, that's not an option. Wouldn't it be better to work hard in my first year wherever I go, and then maybe transfer somewhere a little better?

No no no no no.

If you go to one of these schools, then yes you could take the NY bar after you graduate. The problem is, employers in NY will be much less likely to hire someone coming from Loyola or Tulane. Only a select few schools are "national" in that you can work almost anywhere after you graduate.

Law school is different from undergraduate institutions in that they curve their grades. Going in to law school, everybody thinks that they are going to end up in the top 10%. 90% are wrong. Do not go to a law school that you would not be happy graduating from.

And yes, retaking the LSAT does mean that you would have to wait another year. And yes, it is an option. Many people have raised their score by significant margins. You need to take as many timed practice tests as you can. I know it sucks, but if you improve your LSAT score and get into better schools that will place you in NY, it will be worth it.

dox

Postby dox » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 pm

what happened to all the posts? "retake" has been replaced with "you should go to law school this cycle" and "bro" to "sister" and a bunch of other things.. lol what the hell?

ckelly85

Postby ckelly85 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 pm

April fools. I was seriously confused there for a couple of minutes.

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 pm

dox wrote:what happened to all the posts? "You should go to law school this cycle." has been replaced with "you should go to law school this cycle" and "sister" to "sister" and a bunch of other things.. lol what the hell?
Also "mad skrilla" and "T19."

Return to “Choosing a Law School”