USC 90K vs. Cornell Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell (sticker) vs. USC 90K

Cornell
27%
USC (90K)
73%

Total votes: 130

NYC2012

Re: USC 90K vs. Cornell Sticker

Postby NYC2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:51 am

Have you ever been to Ithaca in the middle of the winter? Do you really want to live there for 3 years? I know it may seem insignificant but... the choice is obvious, pick USC.

ktsai4

Postby ktsai4 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:31 pm

I am in the same dilemma you are in, with 90k at sc and currently no offer from Cornell (although I am currently waiting for the offer and perhaps even bumping up that 90k).

FWIW, i just went to the Cornell ASW and their career service center seems incredibly competent and it seems as though if you want to come back to CA (which I do because I am from LA and went to undergrad in SD) and have ties to the city/region, they seem willing and able to make that happen.

With this said, the thought of 200k+ debt is absolutely frightening and without an offer from Cornell, I will more than likely choose USC over Cornell despite the slight drop in prestige/ranking. However, most firms don't give 2 shits for the rankings and if you play your cards right and make the right connections in LA, these effort may prove to be more valuable than any ivy league law education can provide. Also, regardless of your school, you will have to work your butt off first year for any chance at biglaw and play your cards right.

If you'd like, pm me and we can chat a bit more because this has definitely become a difficult decision for me as well.

BTW, Ithaca apparently had the best weekend it has had in months and I still froze my ass off

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm

ktsai4 wrote:I am in the same dilemma you are in, with 90k at sc and currently no offer from Cornell (although I am currently waiting for the offer and perhaps even bumping up that 90k).

FWIW, i just went to the Cornell ASW and their career service center seems incredibly competent and it seems as though if you want to come back to CA (which I do because I am from LA and went to undergrad in SD) and have ties to the city/region, they seem willing and able to make that happen.

With this said, the thought of 200k+ debt is absolutely frightening and without an offer from Cornell, I will more than likely choose USC over Cornell despite the slight drop in prestige/ranking. However, most firms don't give 2 shits for the rankings and if you play your cards right and make the right connections in LA, these effort may prove to be more valuable than any ivy league law education can provide. Also, regardless of your school, you will have to work your butt off first year for any chance at biglaw and play your cards right.

The bolded is patently false. However, 90K at USC may be the better deal here. This choice should probably have little to do with the weather, and everything to do with the desire to work in CA and keep down debt. If you just wanted to work Biglaw and didn't care about location, or wanted to work anywhere but CA, Cornell would be the winner.

If you'd like, pm me and we can chat a bit more because this has definitely become a difficult decision for me as well.

BTW, Ithaca apparently had the best weekend it has had in months and I still froze my ass off

tlsposter

Postby tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

USC on that scholarship is a no-brainer, unless you have your heart set on NY biglaw.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 am

Well if you miss Big Law at USC, it'll still be hard to pay off but perhaps not completely life crushing if you get shitlaw. If you miss it at Cornell, I'm not sure about their LRAP, but it could be pretty bad.

Although your likelihood of getting good employment out of Cornell is higher.

I hate to say it, but I would take Cornell here. Job in NYC > no job, and 140k debt from USC with no job still sucks, despite the 90k discount.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”