Notre Dame v Cardozo 30k/yr, NY native

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
primetimejoncell

Notre Dame v Cardozo 30k/yr, NY native

Postby primetimejoncell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Accepted to ND Law, waitlist fordham, GW, BC. Cardozo 30k a yr scholarship. Considering trying to pursue but would end up paying sticker and I just cant afford that kind of debt, commuting from home unlikely and undesirable if I went to Fordham. Tough decision because of family and friends in NY, home short train ride from nyc. Although ND is much better with ranking and not a ton more expensive because of the cost of living even with a scholarship to Cardozo, not 100% what to do. Preferably would like to work in nyc after law school. I guess the real question is whether or not a ND degree is worth the extra cost and spending another three years away from family (i have been away for four years already for undergrad) and being far away from my friends and girlfriend of 2 yrs as well. Although girlfriend is not the main issue, cardozo would be hours away from her regardless. ND was above my numbers and I could not believe I got accepted there. Softs and GPA paid off. Any comments and help would be appreciated.

tennisking88

Re: Notre Dame v Cardozo 30k/yr, NY native

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 pm

primetimejoncell wrote: Preferably would like to work in nyc after law school.

Then ND is not for you.

primetimejoncell wrote: I guess the real question is whether or not a ND degree is worth the extra cost and spending another three years away from family (i have been away for four years already for undergrad) and being far away from my friends and girlfriend of 2 yrs as well

No. It's not. Congrats on the acceptance but..ND at sticker+you wanna be in NY is a recipe for disaster.

VY10

Postby VY10 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 pm

primetimejoncell wrote:Accepted to ND Law, waitlist fordham, GW, BC. Cardozo 30k a yr scholarship. Considering trying to pursue but would end up paying sticker and I just cant afford that kind of debt, commuting from home unlikely and undesirable if I went to Fordham. Tough decision because of family and friends in NY, home short train ride from nyc. Although ND is much better with ranking and not a ton more expensive because of the cost of living even with a scholarship to Cardozo, not 100% what to do. Preferably would like to work in nyc after law school. I guess the real question is whether or not a ND degree is worth the extra cost and spending another three years away from family (i have been away for four years already for undergrad) and being far away from my friends and girlfriend of 2 yrs as well. Although girlfriend is not the main issue, cardozo would be hours away from her regardless. ND was above my numbers and I could not believe I got accepted there. Softs and GPA paid off. Any comments and help would be appreciated.

Any stipulations on the Cardozo scholly?

Cardozo will place you as well in NY as ND will. ND hardly places in NY at all, and given your situation and desire to stay close to family and stay in NY, I would take the 90k at Cardozo.

primetimejoncell

Postby primetimejoncell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:57 pm

scholarship is gauranteed for all three years

abceasy

Postby abceasy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:00 pm

I had a similar situation, but with different schools.

Regardless of your three years at school, it sounds like you definitely want to make it back to NYC after graduation. I'm not sure what the exact stats are but I'm assuming that Cardozo sends a higher percentage of its grads to NYC than ND does. However, I think you can't underestimate the ND alumni network. ND has a ridiculous network and alumni seem to be thrilled to help fellow Irish get jobs, career advice, etc. That's very valuable in any economy, especially a crap economy. So I think that ND could definitely help you get a job in NYC, even though they probably place most grads in Chicago and throughout the midwest.

Concerning money, I think you should approach ND and ask if they can match your Cardozo scholarship. Maybe you've already done that, but if you can convince ND to throw in some money, it might be easier for your to compare apples to apples.

primetimejoncell

Postby primetimejoncell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:07 pm

I would love to ask them for money but I really dont have much leverage with my numbers at all. Was a large reach school. Advisor was shocked I was accepted.

primetimejoncell

Postby primetimejoncell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Absolutely loved ND when I visited and am a fan in general of the school. Just is very far from home.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:17 pm

primetimejoncell wrote:I would love to ask them for money but I really dont have much leverage with my numbers at all. Was a large reach school. Advisor was shocked I was accepted.

Yeah, it might be a long shot, but it's totally worth it to ask. Can't hurt.

Also, I know you want to go back to NY, but if you think there's a good chance you will ever want to leave NY then it's ND by a mile.

primetimejoncell

Postby primetimejoncell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Cant disagree with that point about leaving NY. And I am wondering because if i were to stay with my GF that would be a real possibility because she is from another state and because she is hoping to pursue another degree, one that may take her anywhere. Phd which takes six years. I am not basing anything on this because I am mature enough to know how unpredictable a relationship can be, but I dont want to regret things either. It's a complex decision. I dont think ND really could be a "bad choice." I am not horribly against being away from home again at all and i believe in my abilities. It is just a complicated cost-benefit weigh out of the schools.

abceasy

Postby abceasy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:14 pm

It doesn't matter if your numbers made you a weak applicant. You're already in and that's what matters. Ask for money. ND wants to finalize its incoming class and wants to have good yield numbers. If you let them know that they can entice you to come to ND, maybe they'll throw you some cash. Give it a try.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”