FSU, GW, scholarships oh my!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jace90

FSU, GW, scholarships oh my!

Postby Jace90 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:14 am

Hello everyone! so far I've been admitted to FSU and GW and so far I've received an annual scholarship that covers $15k of the $19k tuition at FSU. Though a phenom school/offer, the DC/NYC area is where I'd ultimately like to end up because of Fed. political aspirations. On top of that, the IP, Environmental, Healthcare, Govt. are my main fields of interests. Though GW has yet to let me know of any sort of fin aid package, (just filled out need based grant form, GW students feel free to chime in for how this works) from walking on campus, it has seemed like the right place for me. I even have family in the area whom I can stay with. Despite the feelings however, money talks and FSU is talking! Overall, the other schools I'm looking into are University of Maryland, University of Florida, Chicago-Kent, Regent & Fordham. Also, I've been wait-listed at Hastings and William & Mary.

Any advice anyone may have would be welcomed, thanks!

Jaeger

Re: FSU, GW, scholarships oh my!

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:17 am

Jace90 wrote:Hello everyone! so far I've been admitted to FSU and GW and so far I've received an annual scholarship that covers $15k of the $19k tuition at FSU. Though a phenom school/offer, the DC/NYC area is where I'd ultimately like to end up because of Fed. political aspirations. On top of that, the IP, Environmental, Healthcare, Govt. are my main fields of interests. Though GW has yet to let me know of any sort of fin aid package, (just filled out need based grant form, GW students feel free to chime in for how this works) from walking on campus, it has seemed like the right place for me. I even have family in the area whom I can stay with. Despite the feelings however, money talks and FSU is talking! Overall, the other schools I'm looking into are University of Maryland, University of Florida, Chicago-Kent, Regent & Fordham. Also, I've been wait-listed at Hastings and William & Mary.

Any advice anyone may have would be welcomed, thanks!

Don't go to GW without significant fin aid. And I'm guessing you won't get much. Also, political aspirations have little to do with being in DC.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:21 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

checkster

Postby checkster » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:17 pm

4k a year for FSU, with ties? Take it.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:I take it you're from FL? If so, go to FSU.

GW at anywhere close to sticker is a fool's errand.

Also if you want to do politics just do politics. Go work on some campaigns. Don't go to lawl school.

+1.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:34 pm

Jace90 wrote:the IP, Environmental, Healthcare, Govt. are my main fields of interests

That's quite a wide range of interests.

Radlulz has a point about GW being a risky bet. But if it is your top choice based on location, student body, and professional area of interest, then go for it. HOWEVER , if you do attend GW work your butt off, do not slack, otherwise you risk all sorts of problems related to debt/jerblessness.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Jace90 wrote:the DC/NYC area is where I'd ultimately like to end up because of Fed. political aspirations.

What does Fed. political aspirations mean?

NoleMatt

Postby NoleMatt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:30 pm

checkster wrote:4k a year for FSU, with ties? Take it.

This (no homer)

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Rememer to account for tuition increases. 19k - 15k is 4k but next year I know that UF is upping tuition to 21k. You might end up paying 6k a year or more when you only accounted for 4k.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm

seancris wrote:Rememer to account for tuition increases. 19k - 15k is 4k but next year I know that UF is upping tuition to 21k. You might end up paying 6k a year or more when you only accounted for 4k.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Always Credited wrote:
seancris wrote:Rememer to account for tuition increases. 19k - 15k is 4k but next year I know that UF is upping tuition to 21k. You might end up paying 6k a year or more when you only accounted for 4k.

GIF fail.

But really, if tuition increase 15% a year over three years the difference isn't something you should just ignore. If OP thinks she'll be on the hook for 12k and is really on the hook for double that, it's worth pointing out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”