Upenn or NU or UCLA for BIGLAW LA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
enigmabk

Upenn or NU or UCLA for BIGLAW LA

Postby enigmabk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Upenn, NU or UCLA?

planning to work biglaw in LA

which schools would give me the best shot from best to worst.

PARTY

Re: Upenn or NU or UCLA for BIGLAW LA

Postby PARTY » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:16 pm

retake.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 pm

enigmabk wrote:Upenn, NU or UCLA?

How much will it cost? Where are you from?

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:25 pm

top30man wrote:
enigmabk wrote:Upenn, NU or UCLA?

How much will it cost? Where are you from?

Sticker at all of them, I'm from LA but not close enough to UCLA where I could commute from where i Currently live, I would have to relocate regardless.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 pm

retake

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:37 pm

danke, srfngdd6.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:38 pm

At sticker I'd pick your preference of Penn or NU. Sticker is going to require you to take biglaw wherever you can get it. That means you need to be willing to take NYC biglaw in the case that you strike out of LA biglaw. Penn/NU are going to give you a better shot in NYC than UCLA would. I don't think there is a significant difference in LA biglaw placement for someone from LA for these schools. Even if UCLA had a small advantage, it wouldn't be worth the corresponding disadvantage in NYC.

ETA: Wait is this hypothetical? If so then come back if/when you actually get into these schools at those prices.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:43 pm

bk1 wrote:At sticker I'd pick your preference of Penn or NU. Sticker is going to require you to take biglaw wherever you can get it. That means you need to be willing to take NYC biglaw in the case that you strike out of LA biglaw. Penn/NU are going to give you a better shot in NYC than UCLA would. I don't think there is a significant difference in LA biglaw placement for someone from LA for these schools. Even if UCLA had a small advantage, it wouldn't be worth the corresponding disadvantage in NYC.

This. I would also look seriously at NU in this case. Penn gives you a somewhat better overall shot at big law, but NU actually has a ton of people from the west coast and a lot of west coast employers at OCI.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 pm

good luck on the June LSAT

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Penn if for business. NU if litigation or looking at other markets like Chicago, DC, or NYC.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 pm

t14fanboy wrote:good luck on the June LSAT

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:00 pm

bk1 wrote:At sticker I'd pick your preference of Penn or NU. Sticker is going to require you to take biglaw wherever you can get it. That means you need to be willing to take NYC biglaw in the case that you strike out of LA biglaw. Penn/NU are going to give you a better shot in NYC than UCLA would. I don't think there is a significant difference in LA biglaw placement for someone from LA for these schools. Even if UCLA had a small advantage, it wouldn't be worth the corresponding disadvantage in NYC.

ETA: Wait is this hypothetical? If so then come back if/when you actually get into these schools at those prices.

So for LA Biglaw there isn't much a difference between the 3?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:14 pm

enigmabk wrote:

So for LA Biglaw there isn't much a difference between the 3?

If you've got LA ties, then there probably isn't a substantial difference. However, LA doesn't have a lot of legal jobs right now. If you find yourself at median or below after 1L, you would probably want the flexibility to bid NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”