BU vs GW vs UT - IP Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU vs GW vs UT for IP law

BU
14%
GW
52%
UT
34%

Total votes: 29

kutn

BU vs GW vs UT - IP Law

Postby kutn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Which school is better for IP law: BU vs GW vs UT? I understand that UT is higher-ranked but GW is always ranked very high for IP. Also, BU is ranked pretty high.

Also, how is Texas for the IP market?

cinephile

Re: BU vs GW vs UT - IP Law

Postby cinephile » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:24 pm

How much will it cost you to attend each?

kutn

Postby kutn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Let's say money is not a factor and no ties anywhere.

I'd like to evaluate purely from the job prospects for an international student.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 am

I'd take UT. Unless you'd really rather live on the East Coast.

kutn

Postby kutn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 pm

Surprisingly more people chose GW. Could people please share reasons why one school is better than the other? Thank you.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 pm

I would choose Texas. Lower COL in Texas than in DC or Boston (I think). Austin is a pretty decent place to live in, though I hate DC, so I might be a bit biased in that regard.

If you have a hard science background for IP and make good grades at Texas, you would theoretically be pretty well set up for a big law position in TX doing IP work. TX isn't my market, but from what I've heard, things are pretty good there right now and my friends with TX positions cannot top bragging about their low COL, lack of state income taxes, and various other things.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Oh, and, undergrad coeds at TX are a plus as well.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:14 pm

NinerFan wrote:I would choose Texas. Lower COL in Texas than in DC or Boston (I think). Austin is a pretty decent place to live in, though I hate DC, so I might be a bit biased in that regard.

If you have a hard science background for IP and make good grades at Texas, you would theoretically be pretty well set up for a big law position in TX doing IP work. TX isn't my market, but from what I've heard, things are pretty good there right now and my friends with TX positions cannot top bragging about their low COL, lack of state income taxes, and various other things.

This. Plus, for IP you don't necessarily have to do well (which I imagine would be the same at the other schools). Everyone I know with a hard science background had something 1L summer and 2L summer, regardless of grades.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Keep in mind Texas places best locally. While it is a good school, without regional ties to another market, you might be stuck there.

kutn

Postby kutn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 am

Thank you Cupidity, f0bolous, NinerFan, and cinephile!!!

Two questions:
1. Why are regional ties so important for lawyers? This is not even a factor for other jobs.

2. Why is GW ranked so high in the IP field? Does this really matter? I heard that the overall ranking is what truly matters.

Thanks.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:06 am

1. It's partly because Firms invest a lot in you when you summer with them, beyond just the salary. They want to make sure you actually will work there if they perma offer you. Personally, I think it's stupid. People want jobs. Unless they're superstars, they're not really going to have all that many options at 3L oci/post clerkship.

2. I could be wrong, but I don't think GW's IP ranking really means anything. If you do IP at UVA, or Duke, or Michigan, or etc, you're a more competitive candidate than an IP person from GW. (I don't know the IP rankings, I assume they're ranked lower)

It's overall ranking to some extent, where they're located, and some firms like certain schools more than others. One firm I'm familiar with favors UVA grads because they've had good experiences with them.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:31 pm

I would think through where you'd like to live post-graduation. If you want New England, take BU. If you want DC, take GW. If you want NY, its a toss-up between all three. If Texas or none of the three markets named, then likely UT.

GW is supposed to have a great IP program, but COL in DC is insane. Boston is much cheaper, but I think COL in Texas is even cheaper than Boston.

Overall, the "best" school of the three is probably UT - but this decision really comes down to where you want to live post-graduation.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I would think through where you'd like to live post-graduation. If you want New England, take BU. If you want DC, take GW. If you want NY, its a toss-up between all three. If Texas or none of the three markets named, then likely UT.

GW is supposed to have a great IP program, but COL in DC is insane. Boston is much cheaper, but I think COL in Texas is even cheaper than Boston.

Overall, the "best" school of the three is probably UT - but this decision really comes down to where you want to live post-graduation.

Credited. Take UT unless you don't want to stay In Texas after graduation

Return to “Choosing a Law School”