GULC sticker, Cornell 45k, Vandy 75k, UT 85,500

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

GULC sticker
4%
Cornell 45k
66%
Vandy 75k
18%
UT 85,500
13%

Total votes: 80

msblaw89

Re: GULC sticker, Cornell 45k, Vandy 75k, UT 85,500

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I'm still not convinced OP should go to law school.

Explain please?

Career goals aren't very compatible with you and you fiancee(?)'s lifestyle, specifically valuing mobility.

Others and I already pointed out 1) the ties problem and 2) how planning on moving around every few years isn't very compatible with being a partner in a firm and/or in-house.

When I mentioned traveling...it would be like potentially one move after 3-5 years...and then potentially another 10+ years. The big unknown is just what city we will be moving to when I graduate in 3 years.

Also, if I get a GREAT biglaw/ in-house job.. a move in not inevitable. We would probably do a cost benefit analysis, and then my fiance can travel and visit on weekends if need be.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:When I mentioned traveling...it would be like potentially one move after 3-5 years...and then potentially another 10+ years. The big unknown is just what city we will be moving to when I graduate in 3 years.

Also, if I get a GREAT biglaw/ in-house job.. a move in not inevitable. We would probably do a cost benefit analysis, and then my fiance can travel and visit on weekends if need be.

There are just so many unknowns. Your husband's job can be a tie, definitely, it's just not a sure thing. After that initial move, 3-5 years actually isn't a terrible time to leave a big law firm (that's when most people leave), but you may have specialized in a practice area there isn't a lot of in whatever city it is, it could be another problem. It may not entirely be up to you what practice are you start with in your first firm. For example, I know you're not gonna be in NYC, but if you firm specialized in hedge fund work, and you had to make a move to, say FL, it's gonna be harder to get a jerb at firms or in-house.

It's just not a great situation. I might still go to Vandy in your situation given the large alumni network and preexisting Southern ties.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 pm

rad lulz wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:When I mentioned traveling...it would be like potentially one move after 3-5 years...and then potentially another 10+ years. The big unknown is just what city we will be moving to when I graduate in 3 years.

There are just so many unknowns. Your husband's job can be a tie, definitely, it's just not a sure thing. After that initial move, 3-5 years actually isn't a terrible time to leave a big law firm (that's when most people leave), but you may have specialized in a practice area there isn't a lot of in whatever city it is, it could be another problem. It may not entirely be up to you what practice are you start with in your first firm. For example, I know you're not gonna be in NYC, but if you firm specialized in hedge fund work, and you had to make a move to, say FL, it's gonna be harder to get a jerb at firms or in-house.

It's just not a great situation. I might still go to Vandy in your situation given the large alumni network and preexisting Southern ties.

Thanks for the continued input. I think I will take one step at a time. I will obviously assess whatever situation comes up and determine then what my options are (ie to move or not to move). But first, to chose a law school!

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:34 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I have no preference...but I don't think I want NYC...does that change anything?

If you don't want NYC, you can pretty much nix Cornell. Then again, without ties to a larger Southern market, the appeal of Vandy for you would be its relatively good placement into... NYC. In that case, assuming you have ties to Texas and wouldn't mind working there, UT hands down.

This is my situation...My fiance has a good job that has little to no work in NYC..but just about every other major US city ( Syracuse, Chicago, San Diego, San Antonio, Atlanta, Charlotte, Boston, Philly, etc.) and there is a chance we will be relocating every so often.

Go to Cornell. It is the cheapest out of the options you have; in addition, you can always live in Philly or some other northeastern state. Like you stated in the list, northern states are an option, but NYC is not, correct? So, I would do that; in addition, Cornell has a strong alumni network. It is an excellent school and a t14. I would go there. Also, while it would easier to find a job up north, you can find job in other areas if you get an internship over the summer. And again, you also said northern states are fine, so you still should not have any problems. Cornell+cheapest+t14=win.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 pm

b33eazy wrote:Go to Cornell. It is the cheapest out of the options you have; in addition, you can always live in Philly or some other northeastern state. Like you stated in the list, northern states are an option, but NYC is not, correct? So, I would do that; in addition, Cornell has a strong alumni network. It is an excellent school and a t14. I would go there. Also, while it would easier to find a job up north, you can find job in other areas if you get an internship over the summer. And again, you also said northern states are fine, so you still should not have any problems. Cornell+cheapest+t14=win.

It's not the cheapest. Also "It's a T1411!!1!" isn't a good reason in itself.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 pm

I think the fiance living/working there can possibly be a strong enough tie to an area. I used that as my only tie to the supposedly insular PNW market and have an SA lined up with a biglaw firm. They seemed to have no problem at all with that being my tie to the area (and going to school here).

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 pm

clintone88 wrote:I think the fiance living/working there can possibly be a strong enough tie to an area. I used that as my only tie to the supposedly insular PNW market and have an SA lined up with a biglaw firm. They seemed to have no problem at all with that being my tie to the area (and going to school here).

Great to know. Thanks!

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

b33eazy wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I have no preference...but I don't think I want NYC...does that change anything?

If you don't want NYC, you can pretty much nix Cornell. Then again, without ties to a larger Southern market, the appeal of Vandy for you would be its relatively good placement into... NYC. In that case, assuming you have ties to Texas and wouldn't mind working there, UT hands down.

This is my situation...My fiance has a good job that has little to no work in NYC..but just about every other major US city ( Syracuse, Chicago, San Diego, San Antonio, Atlanta, Charlotte, Boston, Philly, etc.) and there is a chance we will be relocating every so often.

Go to Cornell. It is the cheapest out of the options you have; in addition, you can always live in Philly or some other northeastern state. Like you stated in the list, northern states are an option, but NYC is not, correct? So, I would do that; in addition, Cornell has a strong alumni network. It is an excellent school and a t14. I would go there. Also, while it would easier to find a job up north, you can find job in other areas if you get an internship over the summer. And again, you also said northern states are fine, so you still should not have any problems. Cornell+cheapest+t14=win.

Well, it isn't the cheapest....does that change your mind at all?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm going to bump this thread everyday

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I'm going to bump this thread everyday

The poll concensus seems pretty clear. I'm not sure what you're looking to hear. Why is this a difficult choice? I'm not trying to be cold, I just don't really understand the dilemma..?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Visited Vandy and liked it. Will be going to visit Cornell this weekend to make a final decision. Withdrew from UT today

Return to “Choosing a Law School”