Importance of the Law School Dean

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
huck2012

Importance of the Law School Dean

Postby huck2012 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:50 pm

In light of the recent announcement that Larry Kramer is stepping down as Dean of Stanford Law School, I was wondering how (and whether) I ought to incorporate the news into my law school decision. For full disclosure, I am choosing between HLS and SLS. Although I have visited both schools and spoken with numerous professors and students, I am still undecided. How important is the news? If I choose SLS, will the transition to a new dean offer new opportunities or hardships?

flem

Re: Importance of the Law School Dean

Postby flem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Resignation of the dean is bound to expose Stanford for the TTT it truly is. OCI will reflect this new development. It's going to be toiling in obscurity for a long time.

You should ED to ASU instead, it's on the rise.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 pm

No. It will have exactly ZERO effect. Deans come and go constantly. Nobody cares.

Oh and
flem wrote:Resignation of the dean is bound to expose Stanford for the TTT it truly is. OCI will reflect this new development. It's going to be toiling in obscurity for a long time.

You should ED to ASU instead, it's on the rise.

TITCR

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:00 pm

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:00 pm

It's only important if the dean you are talking about is the Valvoline Dean.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm

huck2012

Postby huck2012 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:33 am

While I appreciate the humor (I think all future lawyers could use more), I was wondering if someone had a serious answer to my question about whether the leadership of the law school should factor into my decision process?

flem

Postby flem » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:42 am

huck2012 wrote:While I appreciate the humor (I think all future lawyers could use more), I was wondering if someone had a serious answer to my question about whether the leadership of the law school should factor into my decision process?

arhmcpo wrote:No. It will have exactly ZERO effect. Deans come and go constantly. Nobody cares.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 am

Deans are primarily hired to: (1) raise money; and (2) bring in faculty.

Neither of those will be affected dramatically for your 3 years at SLS, or in the long run because, being SLS, they will always be able to attract a famous, respected, and capable dean (just as YHS and HLS will always be able to do so).

abacus

Postby abacus » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:26 am

monkey85 wrote:Deans are primarily hired to: (1) raise money; and (2) bring in faculty.

Neither of those will be affected dramatically for your 3 years at SLS, or in the long run because, being SLS, they will always be able to attract a famous, respected, and capable dean (just as YHS and HLS will always be able to do so).

Actually, I too am choosing between HLS and SLS and am slightly concerned about the new dean situation. Recent alums have told me that Dean Kramer had a great relationship with the students and often made calls to prospective employers on their behalf. SLS is a tiny school and the dean has the potential to have a significant impact on the lives of individual students. It was definitely a 'pro' for SLS on my list of pros/cons.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 am

This is just a fact of life. People come and go. And it is not to say that you won't enroll in the other school and that dean will leave shortly thereafter. So go with the school that fits best, not the dean that fits best. This should be a non-factor.

danielhay11

Postby danielhay11 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:06 am

How important are deans? Very important. How much should Dean Kramer's departure affect your decision? Very little. The success of SLS predates the current dean and will continue after he leaves. Harvard has done alright since Dean Kagan took that public interest job in DC.

Perhaps (perhaps!) this would matter at a mid-tier school on the ascendancy. For example, let's pretend ASU's rise was due primarily to a transformational dean who attracted outstanding faculty and dramatically expanded the number of firms at OCI. If it seemed unlikely that the school would get that lucky again, then maybe it'd be worth factoring into your decision. But I think you can safely assume that SLS will find a competent and well-connected administrator to replace Dean Kramer.

Good luck with this "tough" decision. I don't envy you....except that I totally do!

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:31 am

Also, this isn't something you should use for leverage, unless you want to make the people reading that letter laugh.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:17 pm

monkey85 wrote:Deans are primarily hired to: (1) raise money; and (2) bring in faculty.

This is true, though I would add that there are ways in which individual deans can make an impact. I'm a joint degree student, and I've definitely benefitted from Kramer's heavy emphasis on making SLS interdisciplinary and obscenely joint-degree friendly. I don't expect that direction to change now that he's leaving, but I'm not sure that joint degrees would be quite what they are today without his influence. So there are ways in which particular deans can leave a lasting impact. That said, there's almost no way to know these things prospectively, and I don't think you should base your decision to attend on it unless you have a really good reason to.

huck2012

Postby huck2012 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for all of the very helpful answers! Although, after reading this ABA article written by Kramer, I am nonetheless disappointed I won't have the opportunity to learn under his leadership if I choose Stanford: http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/a ... ekly_email

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Actually, changes in dean can effect much at the school. Some deans are pro-faculty and essentially strengthen the faculty's hold on school policies. Some deans are brought in to raise $$$ for student scholarships and better faculty. Some deans are industry-connected all stars who may have a meaningful effect on employment at a school.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:01 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Actually, changes in dean can effect much at the school. Some deans are pro-faculty and essentially strengthen the faculty's hold on school policies. Some deans are brought in to raise $$$ for student scholarships and better faculty. Some deans are industry-connected all stars who may have a meaningful effect on employment at a school.

It's fucking Stanford, bro.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm

flem wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Actually, changes in dean can effect much at the school. Some deans are pro-faculty and essentially strengthen the faculty's hold on school policies. Some deans are brought in to raise $$$ for student scholarships and better faculty. Some deans are industry-connected all stars who may have a meaningful effect on employment at a school.

It's fucking Stanford, bro.

It wont effect Stanford negatively. I'm just talking about the deans in general.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”