Picking between T14s

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

CLS (220k)
9%
NYU (160k)
10%
Boalt (160k)
47%
Mich (120k)
4%
Duke (80K)
4%
NU (60K 1 year off)
19%
Cornell (60K)
6%

Total votes: 77

lblelalr

Picking between T14s

Postby lblelalr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 pm

I've talked about where to go with parents, friends, and relatives and I'd like to get some TLS perspectives now. Numbers in the poll are total CoA through 3 years. I've narrowed my top choices to NYU and Boalt, and maybe Duke. I haven't heard back on schollies for Boalt or CLS yet but I have family in the Bay Area so CoA for Boalt is relatively low.
I'm K-JD, gunning for BigLaw and IP/Patent. I will have an engineering B.S, not in something as useless as industrial or optimization research but not EE either. I have extremely strong ties to Norcal (lived in the Bay since elementary school, family is here) and virtually no ties anywhere else. I would love to end up in Norcal for work; my list of locations goes SV>SF>SoCal>>>>>>>everything else.
Would it be crazy/stupid to pick Boalt over more prestigious or cheaper options given my goals?

Nelson

Re: Picking between T14s

Postby Nelson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Boalt and don't think twice.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Boalt easily

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:25 pm

kaiser wrote:Boalt easily

lblelalr

Postby lblelalr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Thanks for the responses! The main reason I'm hesitating in committing to Boalt is because of all the horror stories about Boalt OCI and the CA market. Does being IP make it easier to find a job in CA?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Strongly disagree with the above advice. You're going to clean house with an IP-eligible degree from any T14. And it sounds like ties to NorCal won't be an issue. So you might as well limit your debt.

No reason to take out huge loans for CLS and NYU. Boalt is incredibly expensive given your other options, and I just don't think being in your target market (given your other circumstances) is worth $100k more than Cornell/NU. I mean, dude, $100k is a fucking lot of money. Michigan should also probably come off the list. And unless you really love Duke, I think the choice boils down to your favorite between Cornell and Northwestern.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:38 pm

I voted for northwestern. I think the year off isn't a bad deal for you. I agree that paying that much for bolt when you are IP secure is a waste.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:40 pm

lblelalr wrote:Thanks for the responses! The main reason I'm hesitating in committing to Boalt is because of all the horror stories about Boalt OCI and the CA market. Does being IP make it easier to find a job in CA?

IP makes finding a job anywhere easier...but in SF/SV it is ten times easier to find a job with an IP background. Stanford and Boalt have awesome relationships with those firms as well.

Plus if you are considering the prestige of the business schools (which really doesn't matter for law hiring) Haas>Stern.

I would also say that you really can't predict the future job market but it sounds like you have other reasons for liking the Bay Area.
Last edited by shoeshine on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 pm

OP should leverage the money from NYU to pick up more scholly from Berkeley but given the geographic preference and personal ties, I think staying close to home is justifiable.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:46 pm

I haven't seen anyone produce a shred of evidence that Boalt OCI has gone any worse than you'd expect the past 3-4 years. Considering the mess Cali's economy is in, they've probably done better than you could expect. But I vote for NU.

Postby 071816 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:56 pm

lblelalr wrote:Thanks for the responses! The main reason I'm hesitating in committing to Boalt is because of all the horror stories about Boalt OCI and the CA market. Does being IP make it easier to find a job in CA?

They're overblown. People on this site just like to talk a lot of shit about Boalt.

Edit: that being said I don't think you can justify boalt at that price considering your other options. I voted for NU.
Last edited by 071816 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 am

If the schollies don't change then I'd pick your favorite of Duke/NU/Cornell. If Boalt becomes comparable then definitely take Boalt but if it remains around twice the price I can't see any justification for it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:20 am

Follow the money to NU. You have strong ties in the Bay Area, so getting back there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 am

HeavenWood wrote:Follow the money to NU. You have strong ties in the Bay Area, so getting back there shouldn't be much of an issue.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:30 am

bk1 wrote:If the schollies don't change then I'd pick your favorite of Duke/NU/Cornell. If Boalt becomes comparable then definitely take Boalt but if it remains around twice the price I can't see any justification for it.

I totally agree with bk.

Have you gone through the matching process at Berzerkeley yet? They will supposedly match Duke/Cornell offers, or at least offer something more comparable.

I've heard from IP people that work experience can help a lot. So the NU deal might not be bad if you can swing a good IP related job to help you sell at OCI.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 am

I would, without a doubt, take a year off, get work experience in engineering or something that will look good for future IP jobs (I don't know what that might be, sorry), and take the money from NU. WE + an awesome scholarship make me think NU is TCR.

lblelalr

Postby lblelalr » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:21 am

bdubs wrote:
bk1 wrote:If the schollies don't change then I'd pick your favorite of Duke/NU/Cornell. If Boalt becomes comparable then definitely take Boalt but if it remains around twice the price I can't see any justification for it.

I totally agree with bk.

Have you gone through the matching process at Berzerkeley yet? They will supposedly match Duke/Cornell offers, or at least offer something more comparable.

I've heard from IP people that work experience can help a lot. So the NU deal might not be bad if you can swing a good IP related job to help you sell at OCI.

I submitted my matching app already but looking through past threads, it looks like it's pretty rare for Boalt to give merit scholarships and there is no way I'll get any need based aid. I was initially leaning towards NU but I haven't been able to find any entry-level engineering jobs still hiring, especially because most of the interviews and hiring occurred before New Year's and I didn't participate since I assumed I'd be going straight to law school. I don't know if the work experience I'll likely end up with (probably tutoring) is worth it or if it'd give me any boost during OCI. I have some industry experience from multiple internships at a brand name corporation, would that qualify as (weak, I know) work experience?
One important reason I'm considering NYU and Boalt over the cheaper options is because a family friend who's a hiring partner at a V15 told me the grade cutoffs at CLS, NYU, and Boalt are lower than at the other schools. Does anyone know if firms will dig deeper into a class for IP/patent candidates or are grade cutoffs constant no matter what? Thanks again for the responses
Last edited by lblelalr on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 am

A bunch of people seem to be getting this 1 year deferral+ full ride from NU. Curious--what do they expect you to do for 1 yr, if you were already planning on graduating and going to law school? Would it satisfy NU if you worked retail for a year, just to get a year of actual work under your belt (not satisfy in terms of technically satisfying requirements for the deferral, which I guess it would, but rather satisfy their philosophical reasons for making this requirement).

One important reason I'm considering NYU and Boalt over the cheaper options is because a family friend who's a hiring partner at a V15 told me the grade cutoffs at CLS, NYU, and Boalt are lower than at the other schools. Does anyone know if firms will dig deeper into a class for IP/patent candidates or are grade cutoffs constant no matter what? Thanks again for the responses

Was this in the context of the California office only?
Last edited by ahnhub on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 am

Take the money, absolutely. 60K over 3 years is solid.

lblelalr

Postby lblelalr » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:30 am

ahnhub wrote:A bunch of people seem to be getting this 1 year deferral+ full ride from NU. Curious--what do they expect you to do for 1 yr, if you were already planning on graduating and going to law school? Would it satisfy NU if you worked retail for a year, just to get a year of actual work under your belt (not satisfy in terms of technically satisfying requirements for the deferral, which I guess it would, but rather satisfy their philosophical reasons for making this requirement).

Was this in the context of the California office only?

The family friend works in a CA office but I don't know if that's specific to the CA offices or to the firm.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”