Is DU worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flem

Re: Is DU worth it?

Postby flem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Is that just the hippie nature of Boulder? Why would you go to a law school without intention of practicing law?

You've clearly never been to Boulder. Trust fund hippies who "just want to help people, bro" are everywhere.

I'm not saying it's like half the class, but there are a fair amount.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:29 pm

CU Law student here.

OP, DU at 35k is a really good deal. DU is a good school and you'd be silly to go to Illinois for 100k if DU is 35k, especially of you prefer Colorado.

However, don't fool yourself about competition from CU. What do all CU and DU Law students have in common? They all applied to CU Law.

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:30 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
However, don't fool yourself about competition from CU. What do all CU and DU Law students have in common? They all applied to CU Law.

That was pretty good

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:39 pm

flem

Postby flem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:43 pm

R86 wrote:Worst part is if it came down to it, and I was offered admission and the same scholarship to both CU and DU, I'd still be pretty tempted to go with DU because I really don't want to move to Boulder and I don't think I could handle a roundtrip commute on 36 everyday...

I mean people have any number of reasons for choosing one over the other, brah. There's not really a wrong answer if you know you want to stay in CO

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:51 pm

People who think that the traffic in Colorado is bad kill me. Compared to the other cities I've lived in- Houston, Austin, D.C.- traffic in the Denver metro is a joke.

It is only 25 miles between Boulder and Denver. You drive 75 mph most of the time, and 50 mph in "traffic."

I live in Loiusville/Lafeyyete and it's 10 minutes to Boulder and 15 minutes to Denver.
In Austin, my commute to work everyday was two hours round trip and I DID NOT live in the suburbs.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Bottom line is that DU is worth 35k. Nice work OP.

Husker-6432

Postby Husker-6432 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:07 pm

After reading through these posts and changing my mind about once every hour, I think I have a plan of action. Put a seat deposit down at DU, sit for the LSAT in June, and if I score my average PT, retract and hold off for a year and reapply. Does this seem like the right thing to do?

flem

Postby flem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Husker-6432 wrote:After reading through these posts and changing my mind about once every hour, I think I have a plan of action. Put a seat deposit down at DU, sit for the LSAT in June, and if I score my average PT, retract and hold off for a year and reapply. Does this seem like the right thing to do?

yup

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 pm

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:People who think that the traffic in Colorado is bad kill me. Compared to the other cities I've lived in- Houston, Austin, D.C.- traffic in the Denver metro is a joke.

It is only 25 miles between Boulder and Denver. You drive 75 mph most of the time, and 50 mph in "traffic."

I live in Loiusville/Lafeyyete and it's 10 minutes to Boulder and 15 minutes to Denver.
In Austin, my commute to work everyday was two hours round trip and I DID NOT live in the suburbs.

Denver Traffic isn't as bad as ATL, Houston, NYC, LA, etc. but it's definitely among the worst in the country. 8th worst by most accounts, and getting worse. Traffic also doesn't move 75mph most of the time between Boulder and Denver. More like 50mph, unless it's after 10pm.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18992013

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/2 ... 66518.html

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Husker-6432 wrote:After reading through these posts and changing my mind about once every hour, I think I have a plan of action. Put a seat deposit down at DU, sit for the LSAT in June, and if I score my average PT, retract and hold off for a year and reapply. Does this seem like the right thing to do?

Sounds like a great plan if you do two things:

1) Study your butt off. Yes DU (or Illinois) would be fine options, but go into the LSAT pretending like you don't have those options. Think of it like you need to get the best LSAT score you can, like your life depends on it. Fight for every point, because every point can mean the difference in big $$$ and big employment prospects. Start studying ASAP. 2-3 months, 2-3 hours a day. Read the LSAT guides on TLS and set up a gameplan. You can do this.

2) If you don't do any better, hey no loss. You can go to DU and come out without too much debt, and it is a decent school. But if you do a lot better, you need to be willing to withdraw your apps and reapply. This is a great opportunity for you, so make the most of it!

Good luck OP. Keep us informed on how it goes.

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Is this report about traffic now or who traffic might be in 25 years?

Look, I live off of 36 and I use it everyday. Traffic runs at 75 mph nearly all the time, with the exception of between 7:30 - 9:30 and 4 - 6. During those times, traffic isn't bad unless there is an accident, but you could say that about any city/town. Even during these "rush hours," traffic only slows down around the big exits and coming right into Boulder-- although it runs at 75 ish right up until the baseline exit, the one you would take for the law school. I slow down for the MCaslin exit and then once 36 becomes 28th within Boulder proper. Otherwise, the traffic is moves really well.

This is coming from someone who makes this drive everyday.

However, keep in mind I am not coming in from Denver. I live roughly halfway in between Denver and Boulder right off 36. If your house was in E. Denver, maybe the traffic would be worse for you. I do know that when I drive to downtown Denver I get door to door in 15 minutes from my house.

86 why don't you just rent a place in Boulder county? Couldn't you sublet your house?

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Is this report about traffic now or who traffic might be in 25 years?

Look, I live off of 36 and I use it everyday. Traffic runs at 75 mph nearly all the time, with the exception of between 7:30 - 9:30 and 4 - 6. During those times, traffic isn't bad unless there is an accident, but you could say that about any city/town. Even during these "rush hours," traffic only slows down around the big exits and coming right into Boulder-- although it runs at 75 ish right up until the baseline exit, the one you would take for the law school. I slow down for the MCaslin exit and then once 36 becomes 28th within Boulder proper. Otherwise, the traffic is moves really well.

This is coming from someone who makes this drive everyday.

However, keep in mind I am not coming in from Denver. I live roughly halfway in between Denver and Boulder right off 36. If your house was in E. Denver, maybe the traffic would be worse for you. I do know that when I drive to downtown Denver I get door to door in 15 minutes from my house.

86 why don't you just rent a place in Boulder county? Couldn't you sublet your house?

The first is about current conditions. But I was def. talking about commuting from the city (Downtown area/Park Hill/DTC (God forbid)/etc.). It's a lot better if you live off of 36.

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

[quote="R86"] as she loves her nursing job and refuses to look for work in Boulder (widely different patient population/attitude towards care).

/quote]

This sounds fascinating.. There is a difference between how sick people treat caregivers in Denver and Boulder? My experience with the "Boulder culture shock" is that it does not exist. Seems like a well educated town with with a state school that brings in some diversity of opinion-- kids from all areas of the state/country. Heard a lot of rumors going in but mostly from people who had either never been to Boulder or had only been to Boulder once.

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm

R86 wrote:It's probably limited to her specific field. I don't see why I shouldn't go into specifics, so here I go. She works in the post-partum "Mom/Baby" unit at Denver Health, and feels the patients she gets now are significantly preferable to the ones she would get in Boulder, which I thought was interesting but now I think I understand it.

Basically, even though many of the very diverse patients she has now have some serious psycho-social shit going on (family issues, drugs, domestic violence, extreme poverty, etc) and despite the widespread language/cultural barriers she faces, they are receptive to whatever care is best for them. Alternatively, many more educated, usually white women (the type you would mostly serve in Boulder) are the ones with strict birth plans, 'alternative views', and straight-up dumb ideas that can (and sometimes do) put them and their newborn at risk. It also makes the nurse's job exponentially harder/more frustrating when the patients you're caring for refuse the best options for care.

Too much information?

I don't perceive there being any Boulder culture shock. As I said, my brother lives there and I come up all the time. She's just dead-set against it, and I respect her reasons.

Sorry to hijack this thread, by the way.

Interesting. Didn't know where you were going to go with that one but this answer makes sense. I could see there being some high maintenance mommies in Boulder.

Scubasteve1315

Postby Scubasteve1315 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Coincidentally, my wife is also a nurse in Mom/Baby at DH. I laughed when I read your post because I think she would agree completely. Many of the patients certainly have more than their share of problems, but for the most part they are grateful for her professional help and let her do what she is trained to do.

Does your fiance have to work nights? All the new nurses get stuck with nights and I am assuming she is not a long timer. Nights suck for my wife and its probably going to be a while before she has any shot at days. Oh well.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”