NYU (50k) vs Chicago (75k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU
41%
Chicago
59%

Total votes: 63

semantic

Postby semantic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 pm

well hello
Last edited by semantic on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Re: NYU (50k) vs Chicago (75k)

Postby soj » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 am

I think the difference is big enough to choose Chicago barring strong personal reasons to prefer NYU. Wanting to wind up back on the east coast doesn't affect your choice much since these schools are similarly strong for that.

stabiloboss

Postby stabiloboss » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:00 am

great options my man. I thought I'd add something perhaps many ppl don't talk about as much. The small size of U Chicago means there are less degrees on the market, so it's a "rarer" degree than NYU's. If you end up bidding DC or NYC, you might be one of only a handful Chicago grads...should help you.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 am

If you want to work in NYC, then it would be tough to turn down one of the big 2 NYC schools, especially with a scholarship. Chicago is an amazing school, and you would likely still get to NYC from there, but NYU has an alumni network in NYC that is insanely broad (and insanely helpful, and I can say that from experience, since some of my best interviews came through working the alumni network, entirely outside the OCI/EIW channel). Also, at NYU, every single NYC office from essentially every big firm is there, and not just during OCI. You get lectures, symposia, discussion panels, etc. with the very people who do hiring at the big NYC firms. You can network and meet up with attorneys at the firms you are interested in, and be back on campus for class within 20 minutes.

I can't really speak to DC, but if you want NYC, I wouldn't turn NYU down.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:39 am

kaiser wrote:If you want to work in NYC, then it would be tough to turn down one of the big 2 NYC schools, especially with a scholarship. Chicago is an amazing school, and you would likely still get to NYC from there, but NYU has an alumni network in NYC that is insanely broad (and insanely helpful, and I can say that from experience, since some of my best interviews came through working the alumni network, entirely outside the OCI/EIW channel). Also, at NYU, every single NYC office from essentially every big firm is there, and not just during OCI. You get lectures, symposia, discussion panels, etc. with the very people who do hiring at the big NYC firms. You can network and meet up with attorneys at the firms you are interested in, and be back on campus for class within 20 minutes.

I can't really speak to DC, but if you want NYC, I wouldn't turn NYU down.

Chicago will get you in no matter what. There really aren't that many New York natives at Chicago and there are way more spots at top firms than can be handed out for natives at Chicago. I would venture to say that there are 150 spots for Chicago people in NYC and only 15 or so natives. To put it in perspective, I know people who had bottom 20 percent GPAs that had never set foot in New York that got several V15 offers in New York.

I think the biggest advantage in going to Chicago is that you will have a really great chance at the elite firms because you will be unique. I can almost promise that there will be a V15 firm with a NYC office that you interview with that will be left with you as the only New York native Chicago law person on their callback list-- which should get you the job easily. For Chicago-based firms like Kirkland and Sidley you will have an unfair advantage over NYU people.

In terms of DC, I don't know if NYU places as well there, but I do know that you will be an East Coaster in a very small class gunning for DC. This should be advantage enough for you because you are one of 35 people looking at DC instead of 150.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:41 am

These are peer schools. From a purely economic standpoint, Chicago would probably be the right decision. But it's hard to put a price on living in [insert your favorite city] for 3 extra years. If you think you'd be happiest at NYU, then go ahead and pick that.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:38 am

Bronck wrote:These are peer schools. From a purely economic standpoint, Chicago would probably be the right decision. But it's hard to put a price on living in [insert your favorite city] for 3 extra years. If you think you'd be happiest at NYU, then go ahead and pick that.

Good point

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 am

Yeah, all things equal, Chicago makes more sense just for the money, but if you find you have a preference for NYU (neighborhood, city, size, etc.) then I think you should go to NYU. I would take with a grain of salt the suggestion that you'll have an advantage for NYC firms coming from UChicago. Your odds of NYC biglaw are going to be pretty much equal at both schools, and if there is going to be a slight difference nobody can really predict which way it will cut. (Small school advantage to Chicago? Hometown advantage to NYU? Will firms like seeing you are a rare NYC native at Chicago or will they like seeing that you are really dedicated to being in NYC by going to NYU? etc. etc. etc. It's really just impossible to weigh the differences and ultimately it doesn't much matter, IMO.)

ETA: If you have other interests it might make the school choice more clear. Clerking/academia would lean Chicago, public interest would lean NYU.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 am

Chicago would easily get you to NYC--don't base your decision on that. If anything, the "rarity" of the degree will help you.

Keep in mind that in addition to the bigger scholarship (WTF that doesn't even make sense), Chicago's COL is also much lower. So Chicago would be cheaper. NYU has the market edge for public interest--don't know how their LRAP programs compare, though.

Have you tried getting NYU to match the scholarship from Chicago?

semantic

Postby semantic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 am

well hello
Last edited by semantic on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:41 am

semantic wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

I tried without success.

Is Chicago the clear winner for DC / clerkships?

I don't want to say "clear winner," and people who focus entirely on DC can strike out if they're below top quarter or so (that's true of any non-HYS), but yes, probably. Given that Chicago is both offering you money AND is in a lower COL area, you'd be pretty crazy to take NYU.

iThwl

Postby iThwl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am

Sounds like you would be happier in NYU. But Chicago is better for academia?
Last edited by iThwl on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 am

Visit both, then decide.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:44 pm

semantic wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

I tried without success.

Is Chicago the clear winner for DC / clerkships?

Chicago certainly has a higher percentage of its class get clerkships, but that could also reflect the more academic nature of the student body. It probably is also slightly easier to get to DC from Chicago, but unless you have gov't experience and/or DC ties its going to be pretty hard from both Chicago and NYU. I would probably recommend Chicago except for the fact that Chicago isn't for everyone. I would visit both and see how you feel. If visiting pushes you in one direction or the other go with it, if you still can't decide, go to Chicago.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”