Cardozo (full ride) v. Hastings ($$) v. Davis (TBD) v. USC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I make a seat deposit?

Cardozo (full ride)
24%
Hastings ($$)
43%
UC Davis (?)
5%
USC (sticker)
29%

Total votes: 21

jjjetplane

Cardozo (full ride) v. Hastings ($$) v. Davis (TBD) v. USC

Postby jjjetplane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 pm

thanks for the replies.
Last edited by jjjetplane on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flem

Re: Cardozo v. Hastings v. Davis v. USC (?)

Postby flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Throw out Cardozo. Since you're interested in smaller firm work, Hastings and Davis are peer schools so go to whichever is cheaper/wherever you prefer to live.

As long as USC gives you no money, obviously.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 pm

jjjetplane wrote:
I'm not retaking the LSAT. It's just not happening.

rad lulz wrote: Retake?

OK, I lol'd

jjjetplane

Postby jjjetplane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:50 pm

What's the reasoning behind throwing out Cardozo?

flem

Postby flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 pm

jjjetplane wrote:What's the reasoning behind throwing out Cardozo?

Shitty placement, across the country from where you want to be, hyper competitive region, etc

Unless you have a GUARANTEED job waiting for you and really want to live in NY before you die, of course.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Cardozo is an ok school

Basically, you're never gonna make big bucks doing immigration law, so price should be the predominant factor, particularly if you've already got connections SMS/or want to open your own shop

However, based on the schools you've listed, I gather you'd rather be in California.
That does make Dozo less appealing - if you don't have connections it's not particularly portable

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Davis has an immigration law clinic which could be appealing to you.

I'm in the same boat as you (waiting on USC and in final review today) and I visited Hastings and Davis earlier in the month. Visiting both really helped me. It knocked Hastings out of the running and made Davis one of my top choices. If Davis comes through on their estimated need-based grant they are much more generous than Hastings. I got 7.5k a year from Hastings and Davis has estimated I'll get 13k a year in grants from them.

Cost for both is very similar so I think it comes down to visiting both and seeing where you'll be happy and able to succeed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Cardozo is on the other side of the country, Hastings, Davis and USC are all going to be too expensive, especially given that you're not looking for biglaw.

Retake. 2-4 points changes the whole ballgame for you.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:24 pm

You might be competitive for the MLK fellowship actually, but in any event from similar choices I went to Davis and like it. $120K is a lot of debt though. I don't understand why people are so averse to retaking the LSAT.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Hastings is optimal in your situation. There are a lot of immigrants in San Francisco.

You will probably find Hastings' Refugee and Human Rights Clinic, or Hastings' Immigrants' Rights Clinic useful.

jjjetplane

Postby jjjetplane » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 pm

I really appreciate the responses, everyone.

Apollo-- there are lots of immigrants in New York, too. There are also tons of immigrants in the Davis area, as well as LA. Why not Davis or SC? And, given the money, why not Cardozo? Also, I know that Hastings has certain name recognition in SF, but Dozo and Hastings are pretty comparably ranked.

I realize that a lot of people are going to get pissed with me soliciting more input (there are so many angry souls on these boards!!) but I'd appreciate feedback.

And what's the deal with everyone's vote of no confidence for Davis? I thought it was a pretty good school.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:56 pm

jjjetplane wrote: Dozo and Hastings are pretty comparably ranked.

QFP

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 pm

jjjetplane wrote:
Apollo-- there are lots of immigrants in New York, too. There are also tons of immigrants in the Davis area, as well as LA. Why not Davis or SC? And, given the money, why not Cardozo? Also, I know that Hastings has certain name recognition in SF, but Dozo and Hastings are pretty comparably ranked.

Davis is a upper middle class utopia in the middle of nowhere, basically. There are nowhere near as many immigrants there as there are in San Francisco. If you didn't get into Hastings, I would say it would be optimal for NorCal. But, you did get Hastings. Hastings has the larger alumni network, and is in the more centralized location.

If you want to work in California, Hastings and USC are more optimal than Cardozo, because of their alumni networks in California. If you want to work in the Bay Area go with Hastings. If you want to work in Los Angeles go with USC.

JamesChapman23

Re: Cardozo (full ride) v. Hastings ($$) v. Davis (TBD) v. USC

Postby JamesChapman23 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 pm

What kind of people are voting for this guy to attend UC Hastings- which will easily go over the 150k mark?

I wouldn't go to law school with any of these choices if you have to pay. 100k+ for a group of mediocre schools- you are going to have a bad time. Cardozo might be fine if you really want to spend 50-60k to enter a area of law that is among the worst for salaries. Not to mention the competition and high volume nature of the practice.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:59 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
jjjetplane wrote:

Davis is a upper middle class utopia in the middle of nowhere, basically. There are nowhere near as many immigrants there as there are in San Francisco. If you didn't get into Hastings, I would say it would be optimal for NorCal. But, you did get Hastings. Hastings has the larger alumni network, and is in the more centralized location.

If you want to work in California, Hastings and USC are more optimal than Cardozo, because of their alumni networks in California. If you want to work in the Bay Area go with Hastings. If you want to work in Los Angeles go with USC.

You do realize Sacramento is 10 minutes away and has a metro area population close to 2 million, yes?

jjjetplane

Re: Cardozo (full ride) v. Hastings ($$) v. Davis (TBD) v. USC

Postby jjjetplane » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:17 pm

edit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”