University of Denver Law vs. University of Miami vs. Temple? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Goldenmonkey

New

University of Denver Law vs. University of Miami vs. Temple?

Post by Goldenmonkey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 am

Although Temple is clearly the highest ranked out of all these schools, the idea of living in Philly just doesn't seem to appeal to me. I know that the job prospects out of all of these schools are more or less the same, however based solely on standard of living it seems like DU is my best option. Any advice or suggestions?

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: University of Denver Law vs. University of Miami vs. Temple?

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:55 am

There really needs to be a template for people who make these threads.

*What will your total COA be?
*What are your LSAT/GPA numbers?
*Most importantly, where are you from and where are your ties?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 pm

As someone strongly leaning towards DU for a number of reasons, here are my thoughts:

1) It's a really good option ONLY for people who want to live and work in Colorado as there is relatively low competition compared to other areas
2) Don't go at full price

Number two is probably the most important point. DU and Miami are both retardedly expensive at sticker. Miami has a big time TTT stip on their scholarships if you're looking at money there. DU is more reasonable.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 pm

if living in philly is not appealing to you then rule Temple out

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Goldenmonkey wrote:Although Temple is clearly the highest ranked out of all these schools, the idea of living in Philly just doesn't seem to appeal to me. I know that the job prospects out of all of these schools are more or less the same, however based solely on standard of living it seems like DU is my best option. Any advice or suggestions?
Yet another unfortunate victim of the "apply purely based on rank" philosophy.

If you want to end up in Colorado, Denver's your best bet, although I would not pay sticker or anywhere close to it. Also, do you have ties to the area? Denver is known for being somewhat insular, and going to law school there may not be enough to establish ties.

Goldenmonkey

New

Post by Goldenmonkey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:There really needs to be a template for people who make these threads.

*What will your total COA be?
*What are your LSAT/GPA numbers?
*Most importantly, where are you from and where are your ties?
1. They are all sticker right now.
2. 161/ 3.6
3. I'm from New Jersey but have gone to school at University of Miami for UG. I do not want to be in Miami anymore or Florida for that matter which essentially rules UM out.

[

I have no ties to Colorado whatsoever, yet I know that I would enjoy living there. My slight attraction to Temple comes from the fact that I have some connections in the northeast and could potentially pursue a career there easier from Temple than from a school in Colorado, no?

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:57 pm

You are probably going to get a lot of retake/reapply (/ED to UVA) responses if these are all at sticker. Those grades are pretty good, and I think that advice is credited.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Goldenmonkey wrote:
2. 161/ 3.6
3. I'm from New Jersey but have gone to school at University of Miami for UG. I do not want to be in Miami anymore or Florida for that matter which essentially rules UM out.

I have no ties to Colorado whatsoever, yet I know that I would enjoy living there. My slight attraction to Temple comes from the fact that I have some connections in the northeast and could potentially pursue a career there easier from Temple than from a school in Colorado, no?
If you want DU, reapply next year. I got pretty good money with a slightly better LSAT and a way worse GPA.

Sticker there is insanity. Not because the job prospects are incredibly poor, but because big law is unlikely which is what you'd need to service 170K of debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Goldenmonkey

New

Post by Goldenmonkey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:06 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Goldenmonkey wrote:
2. 161/ 3.6

If you want DU, reapply next year. I got pretty good money with a slightly better LSAT and a way worse GPA.

Sticker there is insanity. Not because the job prospects are incredibly poor, but because big law is unlikely which is what you'd need to service 170K of debt.

I still can't believe that I didn't get money from them OR Miami, especially Miami since I'm an alumni. DU I can understand a little bit more, because I applied in mid January, but I am still surprised.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Goldenmonkey wrote:

I still can't believe that I didn't get money from them OR Miami, especially Miami since I'm an alumni. DU I can understand a little bit more, because I applied in mid January, but I am still surprised.
Miami didn't give me anything either. Even if they had their scholarship have a TTTop TTThird sTTTip so I wouldn't have bothered

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Goldenmonkey wrote: I have no ties to Colorado whatsoever, yet I know that I would enjoy living there.
How do you know? Might as well come up with a really good answer now, because if you go to CU or DU, you're gonna get asked this all the time, and employers suspicious of you as "just another duder who thinks Coloroado might be fun" aren't gonna take you seriously.
Also this. It's a less insular secondary market than most because there are a lot of transplants there, but things like "I really like to ski" aren't going to cut it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Goldenmonkey

New

Post by Goldenmonkey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Goldenmonkey wrote: I have no ties to Colorado whatsoever, yet I know that I would enjoy living there.
How do you know? Might as well come up with a really good answer now, because if you go to CU or DU, you're gonna get asked this all the time, and employers suspicious of you as "just another duder who thinks Coloroado might be fun" aren't gonna take you seriously.
I have freinds who live out there and I've been out there many times before. I obviously would never say something like that in a formal setting like a job interview, but I know that I would enjoy the lifestyle out there. However this is another concern of mine. Are employers in Colorado going to be more sketpical of hiring someone like me who is from the northeast, moved to Miami, and then moved to Coloardo for law school? Won't attending law school in that market wouldn't be enough?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm

rad lulz wrote: Maybe you know better that I do, but my secondary market (FL) has a lot of transplants, and it's still pretty parochial. One doesn't necessarily follow from the other. But I'll defer to you since you're from there.

But yeah "I really like to ski" is possibly the worst thing you can say.
I'm actually not from CO, but familiar with it. Florida is a different beast (I'm semi-familiar with the FL market as well) but they're not completely comparable for 3 major reasons:

1) Despite there being a fair amount of transplants in FL, it still operates on a HUGE fucking good ol' boy network in many places
2) CO has 2 schools feeding into it, FL has 11 + Emory & Vandy, so competition is undoubtedly higher.
3) Nowhere was hit harder than FL during the economic downturn, so hiring is down and employers can be more picky

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Goldenmonkey wrote:
Won't attending law school in that market wouldn't be enough?
It'll be helpful since CO employers have a huge network of almost exclusively DU/CU grads, but you may be viewed as a flight risk due to your previous locations if you can't articulate a good reason for staying there, like having a wife with a job there or having family in the area. If you can't, you're going to fall behind CO natives, all else being equal of course.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Super expensive + no ties or tangible reasons for being in the market + questionable job placement to begin with = horrible decision. Retake and reapply or don't even bother.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:17 pm

:D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”