Arkansas (50%) vs FSU (Instate) vs Cincinnati(40%)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rockydbull

Arkansas (50%) vs FSU (Instate) vs Cincinnati(40%)

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:30 am

HI everyone,

I am a Florida resident but was born in Maryland and lived there until 10. I have lived in Miami and then Tampa for undergrad. Through this cycle I have received alot of attention from tier two schools (50-100) and they all seem to offer a similar scholarship (10k a year).

So far I have narrowed down my choices to three, Arkansas with ending debt about 30k, FSU with ending debt about 65k and Cincinnati ending debt about 40k (if I did GMR rate and lived in Kentucky).

I also was accepted to Maryland, Indiana, Miami, Stetson (almost full ride), FIU, WVU (10k)

Now I know most on this board believe that my school prospects are up there with the University of Phoenix and ITT Tech in terms of job prospects but I would still like to hear any advice offered.

Background: FL resident but would not mind practicing anywhere but West Coast. I am also not looking Big law exclusively I want to be a lawyer for the job not necessarily money otherwise I would have built on my science undergrad.

Out of curiosity is undergrad debt ever taken into account or is it assumed that if your on this forum you paid very little if anything for undergrad? If relevant I owe about 8500 in undergrad debt

lawlcat4179

Re: Arkansas (50%) vs FSU (Instate) vs Cincinnati(40%)

Postby lawlcat4179 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 am

I hope you are telling the truth when you say you are not looking for biglaw exclusively, because none of these schools really place better than 10% or so into biglaw (and even that might be generous).

Its really going to come down to where you want to work the most. You're undergrad debt of only 8500 is really good, so thats not an issue. Seems like with your ties, Florida State makes the most sense. I personally think 65 grand is way too much to pay for Florida State given its placement, but coming out with 75 grand in total debt isn't completely unmanageable.

Ideal obviously is to retake the LSAT and try to get more money from Florida State.

You just need to think about what region you want to live in and go from there. When evaluating these options though, just go in expecting to come out making 35-40k a year when you start (if you are lucky enough to get any job from them). Then run the numbers on what your loan payments will be and whether or not it will be worth it to you.

Best of luck to you though, regardless of what way you decide to go.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:57 am

rockydbull wrote:HI everyone,

I am a Florida resident but was born in Maryland and lived there until 10. I have lived in Miami and then Tampa for undergrad. Through this cycle I have received alot of attention from tier two schools (50-100) and they all seem to offer a similar scholarship (10k a year).

So far I have narrowed down my choices to three, Arkansas with ending debt about 30k, FSU with ending debt about 65k and Cincinnati ending debt about 40k (if I did GMR rate and lived in Kentucky).

I also was accepted to Maryland, Indiana, Miami, Stetson (almost full ride), FIU, WVU (10k)

Now I know most on this board believe that my school prospects are up there with the University of Phoenix and ITT Tech in terms of job prospects but I would still like to hear any advice offered.

Background: FL resident but would not mind practicing anywhere but West Coast. I am also not looking Big law exclusively I want to be a lawyer for the job not necessarily money otherwise I would have built on my science undergrad.

Out of curiosity is undergrad debt ever taken into account or is it assumed that if your on this forum you paid very little if anything for undergrad? If relevant I owe about 8500 in undergrad debt

Well since you blatantly said you are not looking for big law exclusively which is pretty much an idiot proof statement (might be lying lol)... I would say go to FSU. If you wanted to stay in tampa bay near your undergrad I would also say that stetson at "almost full ride" would not be bad if its a good academic standing stip, but really FSU instate is your best option

Disclaimer: you should retake and get into yale......

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:00 am

lawlcat4179 wrote:I hope you are telling the truth when you say you are not looking for biglaw exclusively, because none of these schools really place better than 10% or so into biglaw (and even that might be generous).

Its really going to come down to where you want to work the most. You're undergrad debt of only 8500 is really good, so thats not an issue. Seems like with your ties, Florida State makes the most sense. I personally think 65 grand is way too much to pay for Florida State given its placement, but coming out with 75 grand in total debt isn't completely unmanageable.

Ideal obviously is to retake the LSAT and try to get more money from Florida State.

You just need to think about what region you want to live in and go from there. When evaluating these options though, just go in expecting to come out making 35-40k a year when you start (if you are lucky enough to get any job from them). Then run the numbers on what your loan payments will be and whether or not it will be worth it to you.

Yeah I figured first job would pay peanuts at any of these schools, thus making debt very important. Is it possible to use June 2012 LSAT for Fall 2012 scholarship negotiation? I would really prefer not to sit out a year

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:02 am

SunshineMagic wrote:

Well since you blatantly said you are not looking for big law exclusively which is pretty much an idiot proof statement (might be lying lol)... I would say go to FSU. If you wanted to stay in tampa bay near your undergrad I would also say that stetson at "almost full ride" would not be bad if its a good academic standing stip, but really FSU instate is your best option

Obviously biglaw would be interesting but I just want to work as a lawyer. If damn FSU would have given any money this would be an easy decision.

Yale really? I hear Cooley is the place to be

lawlcat4179

Postby lawlcat4179 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:15 am

rockydbull wrote:
lawlcat4179 wrote:I hope you are telling the truth when you say you are not looking for biglaw exclusively, because none of these schools really place better than 10% or so into biglaw (and even that might be generous).

Yeah I figured first job would pay peanuts at any of these schools, thus making debt very important. Is it possible to use June 2012 LSAT for Fall 2012 scholarship negotiation? I would really prefer not to sit out a year

I doubt that the June LSAT would really help you much for scholarship negotiation, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. At least then when you get your score back you can evaluate whether or not the new score would be worth reapplying the next year.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:18 am

rockydbull wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

Obviously biglaw would be interesting but I just want to work as a lawyer. If damn FSU would have given any money this would be an easy decision.

Yes yale is really the only logical option for any question on this site.

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 am

SunshineMagic wrote:
rockydbull wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

Yes yale is really the only logical option for any question on this site.

I feel that sometimes people will even choose other career choice over yale if you have a connection or two lol

I would hate to see what it is like for undergrad forums. "If you don't go IVY you will die alone in a ditch while people walk by and laugh"

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:30 am

Just got an email from FSU saying that my scholarship appeal will be heard this week. My Stetson appeal will be heard this week as well.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:12 am

rockydbull wrote:Just got an email from FSU saying that my scholarship appeal will be heard this week. My Stetson appeal will be heard this week as well.

I bet stetson will increase

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 am

SunshineMagic wrote:
rockydbull wrote:Just got an email from FSU saying that my scholarship appeal will be heard this week. My Stetson appeal will be heard this week as well.

That would be interesting it got to full ride. Stetson does seem to have some traction in Florida especially government but still a tier 3

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:56 am

Don't forget how easy it is to gain Arkansas residency status, which could potentially keep your tuition costs at UofA down to about $16k total. The letter you received from them details how to achieve resident tuition status. It becomes even easier if you are over 23 years of age.

That said, I still like your Florida options.

Sorry, I am no help, just wanted to remind you of the Arkansas residency option.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 am

Either retake/reapply or go to FSU. No reason to be considering Arkansas or Cincinnati if you're from Maryland and Florida.

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 am

Oklahoma2014 wrote:Don't forget how easy it is to gain Arkansas residency status, which could potentially keep your tuition costs at UofA down to about $16k total. The letter you received from them details how to achieve resident tuition status. It becomes even easier if you are over 23 years of age.

That said, I still like your Florida options.

Sorry, I am no help, just wanted to remind you of the Arkansas residency option.

yeah if I play my cards right I should be a resident by Second semester of 1L. I am not 23 though but am willing to make all the changes to reach residency where ever I go

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:39 am

romothesavior wrote:Either retake/reapply or go to FSU. No reason to be considering Arkansas or Cincinnati if you're from Maryland and Florida.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Who did you e-mail? I sent one to Jennifer K. and got no reply.

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:21 pm

noleknight16 wrote:

Who did you e-mail? I sent one to Jennifer K. and got no reply.

It was Jennifer K. I sent an appeal letter and then she sent an email to me asking to include the scans of my offers. From there she said she would forward it to the committee. I did not hear anything from her for 2 weeks so I did a follow up on the same email chain and she responded saying they would meet this week.

If I were you I would try again so far she seems pretty good at answering emails promptly. your email may have just gotten lost in the shuffle.

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:51 am

SunshineMagic wrote:

Neither Stetson or FSU increased however both have offered me (and I accepted) extensions on deposit deadlines so that my scholarship may be reconsidered post deadline when scholly money is freed up. Yesterday I sent my deposit to Arkansas, seeing as it is only 75 bucks it was worth the risk to me.

At this point I am still leaning heavily to Arkansas because of the COL/tuition and culture/atmosphere. I know many people say go where you have ties but I just don't see the "ties" I have in FL helping me considering the saturation of market there is here for lawyers.

I appreciate everyone's responses here but I am not sure if I can tolerate continuing to live in FL past law school so I am thinking law school in Arkansas may be a great way to start fresh.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:54 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:14 am

$75 seat deposit is cheap for the extra time, in my opinion. I did the same thing yesterday, haha. While I wait on an increased scholarship offer that is supposed to arrive any day now from another school.

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:16 am

rad lulz wrote:
rockydbull wrote:At this point I am still leaning heavily to Arkansas because of the COL/tuition and culture/atmosphere. I know many people say go where you have ties but I just don't see the "ties" I have in FL helping me considering the saturation of market there is here for lawyers.

When they ask you why you want to work in FL, at least you can articulate a reason.

You can't do that for Arkansas. But at least if you're unemployed debt is only $30k.

edit: put wrong amt.

You must not live in Florida its harder to come up with a reason TO live here than not.

I know the second part is sarcasm but its also true in the sense that my combined debt would be around 40k for ug and law and my job prospects can not be any worse than without the law degree (thinking total job market not just legal).

On a side note while I may not agree with you in my particular situation I can not imagine those that have this discussion looking at 150k in debt for law alone with a degree from Stetson (somewhere I may go but only with a full ride).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:06 am

Are you willing to share your numbers (LSAT/GPA) ? How many LSAT sittings ?

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:18 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you willing to share your numbers (LSAT/GPA) ? How many LSAT sittings ?

Sure 164/3.2 University of South Florida I sat for the lsat twice. First time was 160 second was 164.

I think my biggest regret was starting as a science major in UG. I thought it was my passion but my grades did not translate as well. I switched my major to economics about half way through and had a steady 3.5 in major classes the rest of the way.

I know my gpa is what is standing between me and a FSU scholarship.

My softs are ok too. I am actually graduating with two separate degrees a BS in Biomedical Sciences and a BA in Economics. In addition I have 3 years of Student Government Experience (its pretty serious in FL), I was paid and managed a team of 5. I also sat on General Education Council (faculty and student board that certifies new UG classes).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:Either retake/reapply or go to FSU. No reason to be considering Arkansas or Cincinnati if you're from Maryland and Florida.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:50 pm

If your acceptances to FSU & Stetson were based on the 160 LSAT score, then you should receive increased offers based on your more recent score of 164.

Obviously, as you noted, your GPA is holding you back. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com to see what LSAT score might get you into Virginia ED (you would have to apply ED which may not be shown on lawschoolnumbers.com).

If applications are down again next cycle, as expected, then an increase of just two points on the LSAT to 166 could dramatically affect your options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”