Peer Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rayiner

Re: Peer Schools

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:53 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
rayiner wrote:Peers in what context? From the perspective of big law hiring or clerkships, the hierarchy is basically:

1) Yale, Harvard, Stanford
2) Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Penn
3) Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley NU, Cornell, Duke
4) NU, Cornell, Duke
5) Georgetown

Blatant pro-Penn, pro-Northwestern, pro-Cornell, and pro-Duke trolling.

Those are the traditional USNWR tiers. They are, unsurprisingly, not a precise proxy for job placement. Penn's smaller size and NYC connections don't count for USNWR, but Michigan's academic reputation score among professors don't seem dispositive for employers.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 pm

I thought peer schools meant the schools you usually compete against. Meaning that if you are in GA you would likely be in a mix comprising of Emory, UGA, and Mercer. My tendency is to believe that hometown and state schools are peers, with some obvious exceptions. If the GA firm looking to hire likes me, I am better off than someone from out of state, and it would not matter which GA school I attended.

My understanding is that the T-14 are all national peers feeding off several very large cities and then the process becomes local in nature as city size decreases.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:17 pm

I really only know of a few truly peer schools (yes, one is usually better than the other, but the difference is rather small):
Columbia/NYU
UCLA/USC
BU/BC
Rutgers/Rutgers (and Seton Hall?)
Cardozo/Brooklyn

I also figure some TTTs are probably peers, but I don't think anyone particularly cares about those.

An argument can be made for Fordham/GW; I consider those equivalent schools, but not peer schools as they are in different markets

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
rayiner wrote:Peers in what context? From the perspective of big law hiring or clerkships, the hierarchy is basically:

4) NU, Cornell, Duke
5) Georgetown

Look at job placement, bro. I wouldn't go so far as to say Penn is equal to NYU, but it's not terribly far-off. Penn is a solid pipeline into NYC. It's an oft-repeated myth that NYC employers will take anyone from anywhere if their rank is high enough. While NYC is the easiest market to break into without ties, going to a reliable feeder school like Penn helps a lot.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:22 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

4) NU, Cornell, Duke
5) Georgetown

Look at job placement, bro. I wouldn't go so far as to say Penn is equal to NYU, but it's not terribly far-off. Penn is a solid pipeline into NYC. It's an oft-repeated myth that NYC employers will take anyone from anywhere if their rank is high enough. While NYC is the easiest market to break into without ties, going to a reliable feeder school like Penn helps a lot.

In both 2009 and 2010, Penn placed more people into firms with 500+ attorneys and more people into Federal clerkships than NYU. NYU has an edge in its name, but Penn puts about half as many people every year onto the job market.

dolphin

Postby dolphin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Will a degree from Stanford give me a better chance of employment ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY than all schools ranked #4 and beyond? Discuss.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm

HY
Other T-14s
Other schools

Cooley

anstone1988

Postby anstone1988 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:HY
Other T-14sOther T-14s less Stanford
Other schools less Stanford

Cooley

Stanford

Blatant pro-Stanford trolling. FTFY.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm

anstone1988 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:HY
Other T-14s
Other schools

Cooley

Blatant anti-Stanford trolling.

Stanford doesn't place much outside of Cali. Yeah it's mostly self-selection, but whatever

dolphin

Postby dolphin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
anstone1988 wrote:HYS CCN MVPB and so on so forth; the entrenched tiers don't depend on USNews. Even if H/Y/S drops to #5 or Columbia rises to #1, it would still be HYS CCN MVPB ...

That is soooo 20 seconds ago. The new world order, YSH. The next should be CNC, if one is really talking peer. Then PBV, or BPV or whatever that peer abv. turns out to be.

Ceteris paribus, is a Stanford degree really better than a Columbia/NYU degree for finding work in NYC? In Chicago, does a Stanford graduate have better job prospects than Chicago/NW grads?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”