UT $ vs GULC sticker (and other options)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Options

GULC
16%
UT
68%
Boston U
No votes
Baylor
No votes
SMU
No votes
U of Houston
No votes
William & Mary
4%
Texas Tech
8%
Ride out Michigan
4%

Total votes: 25

eaper

UT $ vs GULC sticker (and other options)

Postby eaper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 am

Well, I've put off making this, hoping I can make a choice myself without feeling worrying about it, but I don't think I can. I have instate and 9.5k/year at UT, acceptance at GTown. I would prefer living in Texas, but I'm really interested in Curriculum B. I also really liked D.C. and GULC when I visited, and wouldn't be opposed to working outside of Texas. I'll also post other acceptances and offers here.

UT law: 9.5 k/year scholly and instate tuition, Debt of ~38922/year
GULC: Debt of ~$70,500/year
Boston U: $60,332/year- will hopefully get some scholarship money, still waiting though.
SMU: $26000/year scholly, ~38255 debt/year
U Of H: $15000/year scholly, ~29164 debt/year
Baylor: 30000/year scholly, ~11,706 debt/year + CoL (not listed on the site)
William & Mary's: 12000/year scholly, ~40000 debt/year
Texas Tech: Full tution, ~13711 debt/year for CoL
Michigan: WLed.

Wait listed at UCLA and Notre Dame.
For money reasons, I'm leaning toward UT (probably 100k less debt, maybe more since my parents said they'd "help out some for CoL" if I stayed in Texas). However, being T14 and being much better suited toward my interests makes GULC attractive.

I suppose I'm going to go for big law, especially if I will be going 6 figures into debt. However, if big gov starts hiring by then (I suppose it's possible), or if some elusive midlaw opportunity arises, I probably wouldn't be opposed to that. I also have ~15k worth of undergrad debt. I haven't tried negotiating scholarships yet, but I doubt I'd be able to get anything more for Texas or GULC with what I have. SMU, Baylor, U of H, Tech and William and Mary's all have around top half to top 2/3 stip on the scholarship, Texas is good standing.

hookem12

Re: UT $ vs GULC sticker (and other options)

Postby hookem12 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 am

UT from a financial standpoint, with reduced tuition and possible COI aid. If you're strongly considering government, Georgetown is the way to go. Something else to consider is that SMU does place very well in Dallas firms, with good pay, and you can make great connections there. So if you're thinking about staying in Texas, it wouldn't hurt to look into SMU a bit more. But overall, UT has my vote.

Also, hey numbers twin! And very similar schools/results.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 am

This is UT, hands down. You can take whatever classes you want to take your second two years. Trust me, you will not lack for academic options at Texas. Don't pay twice as much for a roughly equivalent school in a location you like less for Curriculum B.

You need to eliminate the other options maybe except for Michigan, like, yesterday.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 am

Hey Eaps,

Go UT and ride the Mich WL...

until you get accepted, then come to Mich.

Just my personal opinion.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:32 am

UT and it's not even close.

Michigan is a viable alternative at sticker if you get off the WL.

texas man

Postby texas man » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 am

UT.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 am

UT. What is it about Curriculum B that you like so much? (Maybe I can offer some perspective on how the curriculum at UT would compare.)

Even if you get off the Michigan WL, I still think UT is probably the better choice if you want to work in Texas after graduation. While Texas firms will hire a little deeper from Michigan, I don't think the difference is worth an additional $75K total.

eaper

Postby eaper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the quick responses! (Definitely had a dream where I checked this thread and it was getting trolled hard core... I think I may need to spend less time on the internet).

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:UT. What is it about Curriculum B that you like so much? (Maybe I can offer some perspective on how the curriculum at UT would compare.)

Even if you get off the Michigan WL, I still think UT is probably the better choice if you want to work in Texas after graduation. While Texas firms will hire a little deeper from Michigan, I don't think the difference is worth an additional $75K total.

I just really enjoy philosophy and history type courses. When I was looking around UT's courses and it seemed they lacked a lot of jurisprudence-y courses, which I'm really interested in. I guess it goes beyond just Curriculum B (I find all of those courses more interesting, though) and more into the upper level electives they offer (more specifically, Comparative Jurisprudence, Great Philosophers on Law, International Legal Philosophy, Law, Mind and Brain Seminar, and Introduction to Roman Law are all classes that really struck up interest). I do feel like kind of an odd-ball considering GULC mainly because of the type of classes I can take, though.

And, if the markets were different, I would be strongly considering government. I just don't think I can say I'd do that in a time like this with the hiring freeze and all.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:43 pm

I think you have to do UT here for the financials involved, but stay on the Michigan waitlist and see what happens.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”