GWU v WUSTL v UMN v W&L v St J v Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Oh, Where to Go

Cardozo (95k off, CoL n/a)
4%
WashU (65k)
40%
UMN (65k)
24%
GWU (30k)
32%
St Johns (free, CoL n/a)
No votes
Washington & Lee (60k)
No votes

Total votes: 25

elr5

GWU v WUSTL v UMN v W&L v St J v Cardozo

Postby elr5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:33 pm

GWU 10k per year scholarship
WUSTL, UMN, W&L half scholarship
Cardozo 32k per year scholarship
St John's full scholarship

From Long Island NY, open to relocate. Would commute from home if going to either NY school. No ties except to St J alums (of course). Just want to maximize job prospects vs debt. Any ideas?
Which school, if any, could get me to Colorado? Boulder wait-listed me somehow.
If I have no desire to remain in Missouri after graduation or the southern Midwest in general, is it too risky to attend WUSTL?
Interested in environmental or IP but that can change in 3 years.
Feel like I would most likely succeed in terms of class rank at St J just by virtue of the lower student quality but don't know if graduating highly there is preferable to being a middle of the road student at a T30.

Tips, advice, ideas on any of the issues above are welcomed.
Last edited by elr5 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bdole2

Re: GWU v WUSTL v UMN v W&L v St J v Cardozo

Postby bdole2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm confused....do you live in New York or in Missouri?

If you want Colorado you should have applied to CU.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 pm

It will be difficult to get to Colorado from any of these schools since you apparently lack any sort of ties.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elr5

Postby elr5 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 am

I hope I'm not assuming anything, it's more like a gut-feeling that the overall quality of the student body at St. John's would pose less of a challenge than those of a GWU or WashU. St J kids just don't inspire the same level of intimidation in me. I don't feel that's too controversial a statement.

The real question I'd like to extract from this is whether it's better to be in the top half of a 20-25 school or Law Review at St. John's? These are not assumptions but are where I would hope to find myself if things went well for me, which I well realize is not a given at any school.

checkster

Postby checkster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 am

elr5 wrote:I hope I'm not assuming anything, it's more like a gut-feeling that the overall quality of the student body at St. John's would pose less of a challenge than those of a GWU or WashU. St J kids just don't inspire the same level of intimidation in me. I don't feel that's too controversial a statement.

The real question I'd like to extract from this is whether it's better to be in the top half of a 20-25 school or Law Review at St. John's? These are not assumptions but are where I would hope to find myself if things went well for me, which I well realize is not a given at any school.

That is very dangerous thinking. Never assume you will do significantly better at a lower level school.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am

Send LOCI to UC-B immediately, if you haven't. If you are accepted, negotiate for money.

elr5

Postby elr5 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 am

I've sent them multiple LOCI's since landing on the wait-list. I even told them yesterday that the brother of Congressman Polis would like to write me a recommendatio (which he does). Hopefully I can crack through the wait-list, in the meanwhile my first deposit deadlines need acting upon.

I've essentially ruled out UMN, despite the quality of the school I just don't think it's a good fit for me. Besides them I see people are splitting their votes between WUSTL and GWU, are there any particular reasons for this? And why no love for Cardozo? For these schools I realize that Colorado is out of reach and would make due as best I can manage.

My main concern with WUSTL is that I have no clue of where I would land a job. The "national" reach of the school, from what I can tell, seems to just be kids going back home. Since home for me happens to be NY is it worth it to go there for twice as much (factoring in CoL) than it would to go to Cardozo?

BobbyDylan

Postby BobbyDylan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:39 am

If you go to GW, W&L, WUSTL or MINN, you'll probably have a legal job 9 months after graduation. That's assuming you're at median. It might not be a killer job, but you'll likely be doing real legal work as a lawyer in some capacity. The kicker is that you will almost certainly be in/around either D.C., St. Louis, or Minneapolis, respectively. Personally, I'd give either D.C. (for excitement) or Minneapolis (for COL and general QOL) the edge in that regard, but that's neither here nor there. There's also about a 20%-30% chance you'll have a "good" legal job (classically defined as Big Law, or a "good" state clerkship, respectable PI, or a local government position). At W&L, WUSTL and MINN, you'll probably graduate with about $95K in debt (roughly 17K/yr tuition, plus 15K/yr for living). Tack on about $15K for additional COL for GW (for $110K).

I'd rule Dozo out because even with that scholarship, you're staring down the barrel of $105K in debt (plus interest), for tuition and COL loans (it's insane how high their tuition is. That's just nuts. Figure 15K/yr for tuition, plus 20K/yr for living). That's just not worth it for the "opportunity" to compete in the flooded NYC market as a 3rd-rate graduate.

So that leaves St. John's, where, if you live on your own, you're still looking at about $60,000 in debt (plus interest) due to COL loans.
However, there's probably only a 50% chance that you'll have a legal job 9 months after graduation (assuming you're median). That's a coin flip that actually get to be a lawyer.

If you really want to be a lawyer, even if it means working in a small shop, and you'd be ok leaving NYC for good, I'd probably choose one of the non NYC schools. And from there, it's just a matter of where you want to live.

EDIT: and as I posted in another thread, if you really want to stay in/around NYC, just go to Rutgers. They'll give you instate and a $15K scholarship, and you'd probably be able to graduate with around 70K in debt if you're smart about it, and the job prospects are somewhat brighter than St. Johns, which is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel in NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”