WUStL vs NUSL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
solenoid

WUStL vs NUSL

Postby solenoid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Admitted to WUStL w/ $24,000/yr and to NUSL w/ $10,000/yr. I got my BA (Biology) from WUStL (and I'm getting my MS from UAB in May). I'd like to do patent law, ideally in Boston, but definitely on the Northeast coast. My thought process so far: WUStL is a higher ranked school offering me more money in a city with a lower cost of living (and I loved my four years there). NUSL isn't as highly ranked and would end up costing more, but is in the city where I want to practice, and the co-op program really excites me (as a scientist, I dig hands-on). I'm quite torn. Advice?

bdole2

Re: WUStL vs NUSL

Postby bdole2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 pm

What's a NUSL?

No BU/BC?

Postby 2014 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Guessing Northeastern.

Why no BU/BC is a valid question and if you are sold on Boston you probably should hold off a year and apply to them.

solenoid

Postby solenoid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Yes, NUSL == Northeastern. Waiting to hear back from BC and BU (also Harvard, Columbia, and Penn [double legacy, if they care]). If I don't get in this round, there really isn't anything I can do to improve my chances (low undergrad GPA (3.2), high grad school GPA (3.9), 170 LSAT), so reapplying ins't an option. If I get into BC, BU, or an Ivy, I'll likely end up there, but having not heard back yet, I'm making contingency plans.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 pm

If these are your only two options, WUSTL easily. But I would wait and see what BU/BC give you in terms of scholarships (both risky at sticker). You also could ED to UVA for your best biglaw chances. But with your IP background and solid scholarship from WUSTL, I think it would be a fine choice as well. How do you feel about ending up in the Midwest long-term if the east coast doesn't work out?

By all accounts, people who came to WUSTL with IP backgrounds did very well at OCI, but stratocophic would know far more than I would about this.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:31 am

So here's the danger for you. By all accounts, biology without a PHD doesn't qualify as IPSECURE like engineering does. You'll probably still be in better shoes than if you were an English major, but your degree may not carry the kind of knowledge that makes it a gamechanger for employers (or so at least that's how they might treat it). Romo's right that between those two the answer is almost certainly WashU for both the rep and our IP program (which is very strong, tons of offerings compared even to other top schools, etc.). If BC or BU comes into the picture it gets tricky since you'd have home court advantage there, but sticker price probably isn't worth it because you'd be paying twice as much and likely be totally screwed instead of pretty screwed if you struck out. Either way, 24k/yr is a pretty good scholarship for WashU and would probably be worth taking for someone interested in IP. I'd say it's definitely worth taking for an IP dude but again, bio and how employers view it are not my wheelhouse. If one of BC or BU gives you decent money you should probably take them up on it, but if not I'd probably go WashU. If nothing else, people all up and down the curve with tech backgrounds, which you have, landed biglaw jobs and your scholarship is sizable. Also, Boston's big on biotech as a city, so that would be another thing that would help out even if you were trying to get back there from WashU - it wouldn't be like you were trying to crack Silicon Valley with a civil engineering background.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am

UVA ED is the right answer next year. It offers much better job prospects as compared to WUSTL or northeastern.

If you have WE you can also apply to Northwestern.

Postby 2014 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 am

With a 3.2/170 you almost surely will get into BC/BU and they should give you a relatively comparable offer to WUSTL.

I would deposit at WUSTL by the Sunday deadline and use your scholarship to negotiate with BC/BU in the next month while the WUSTL deposit is refundable.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”