What to Do - Pending Deadline Edition Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

University of Chicago (15k/yr)
65%
NYU
6%
UCLA (20k/yr)
6%
USC (40K/yr)
6%
Hold out for CLS/HLS/SLS (even if it means missing the UChi deadline)
18%

Total votes: 17

likemike

New

What to Do - Pending Deadline Edition

Post by likemike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Getting increasingly concerned about the UChi deadline coming up and still haven't heard from my three big hitters. I'm not holding my breath (170/4.03) on these schools, but do you think it's worth it to potentially pass on UChi to still have a shot at these schools, since UChi requires you to withdraw when you send in your acceptance form?

About me: want to work in LA most likely in corporate law. Flexibility in prospects is important too though.

Thanks

bobbyh1919

Silver

Re: What to Do - Pending Deadline Edition

Post by bobbyh1919 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:34 pm

I would say throw out NYU and UCLA as there are similar offers that trump them. The USC and UChi offers seem pretty good here and I'm not sure if you can go wrong with either of them.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 pm

likemike wrote:Getting increasingly concerned about the UChi deadline coming up and still haven't heard from my three big hitters. I'm not holding my breath (170/4.03) on these schools, but do you think it's worth it to potentially pass on UChi to still have a shot at these schools, since UChi requires you to withdraw when you send in your acceptance form?

About me: want to work in LA most likely in corporate law. Flexibility in prospects is important too though.

Thanks
Is UChicago far and away your fourth choice? Or is it a close call? Also, are there other similar deadlines that you're facing with the remaining schools? How long could you afford to stay in limbo? Also, would you drop whatever school you'd otherwise attend for one of your "three big hitters" if admitted a couple days before classes were to start? I'm unclear on your game plan.
Last edited by woeisme on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm

According to the online commitment form, Chicago "requests," not requires, that you withdraw. I've asked the admissions office what would happen if I refused to withdraw pending applications, and you should probably do the same. I think a lot of people would appreciate the clarification.

larsoner

Bronze

Post by larsoner » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:49 pm

soj wrote:According to the online commitment form, Chicago "requests," not requires, that you withdraw. I've asked the admissions office what would happen if I refused to withdraw pending applications, and you should probably do the same. I think a lot of people would appreciate the clarification.
What did Chicago tell you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

likemike

New

Post by likemike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 pm

woeisme: SLS is the one drop everything for school. The other two I plan to evaluate my feelings for after UChi ASW.

soj: will do at ASW. thanks

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:55 pm

larsoner wrote:
soj wrote:According to the online commitment form, Chicago "requests," not requires, that you withdraw. I've asked the admissions office what would happen if I refused to withdraw pending applications, and you should probably do the same. I think a lot of people would appreciate the clarification.
I haven't received a response.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:23 pm

soj wrote:
larsoner wrote:
I haven't received a response.
Just tell them you're waiting to hear back from Cooley

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”