South Carolina v Tennessee v Kentucky

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What school should I attend?

Uni of South Carolina
25%
Uni of Tennessee
50%
Uni of Kentucky
25%

Total votes: 4

wightjm

South Carolina v Tennessee v Kentucky

Postby wightjm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Small scholly at each school. NC resident and hoping to move back to North Carolina/ Charlotte preferably. I understand that I will be competing with NC schools, but UNC has yet to get back to me.

I understand the SC market is insular, but does it place in Charlotte?
I understand KY market is insular, but is leaving the state as hard as they say, even if I have ties?
I understand that SC is no longer a T2 school.

I am looking to get a state or federal clerkship in either state during the 1L or 2L summer.

I was hoping that the TLS community would have some insight on what school I should attend. Also if any current students from either school can weigh in.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by wightjm on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Re: South Carolina v Tennessee v Kentucky

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:10 pm

The facilities at & funding of South Carolina may be poor. A Kentucky degree is unlikely to place well in North Carolina. Tennessee is probably your best option, in my opinion.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Retake. Reapply.

Did you apply to Wake? That's going to give you much better options in NC than the other schools you mentioned.

E

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Your TLS profile shows a GPA of 3.5 & notes that WFU is your dream law school. Although rejected this cycle from WFU, your LSAT can't be horrible if you received scholarship awards from Tennessee, Kentucky & South Carolina. What is your LSAT score ? Have you taken it more than once ?

wightjm

Postby wightjm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Your TLS profile shows a GPA of 3.5 & notes that WFU is your dream law school. Although rejected this cycle from WFU, your LSAT can't be horrible if you received scholarship awards from Tennessee, Kentucky & South Carolina. What is your LSAT score ? Have you taken it more than once ?

First score Oct 157 after Kaplan Course, 159 Dec on retake with 2 months of sold prep in addition to the course. I know people say there isnt a cap, but I really cant see my self taking a year off. I don't want to sound arrogant, but the cost of attending does not have much influence on which school I attend.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

wightjm

Postby wightjm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
wightjm wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Your TLS profile shows a GPA of 3.5 & notes that WFU is your dream law school. Although rejected this cycle from WFU, your LSAT can't be horrible if you received scholarship awards from Tennessee, Kentucky & South Carolina. What is your LSAT score ? Have you taken it more than once ?

First score Oct 157 after Kaplan Course, 159 Dec on retake with 2 months of sold prep in addition to the course. I know people say there isnt a cap, but I really cant see my self taking a year off. I don't want to sound arrogant, but the cost of attending does not have much influence on which school I attend.

You taking out all loans, or is there some independent funding at play here?

Im lucky enough to have independent funding.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Didn't even check the profile. If you have a 3.5, I would def retake and reapply. With a solid score you should get cash from Wake. I wouldn't do TN, KY, or SC. It's going to be hard to get back into NC from any of these schools.

I just saw your post on your scores and I doubt you've hit a score cap. I really think you just need to look at some of the guides up here. Kaplan works for some people, but I honestly think it's crap. If you need a guide or materials send me a PM. There's no harm in a 3rd try. I've been there and taking the extra year was the best decision I ever made.

The cost of attending isn't the issue here. It's your ability to get a job after graduation in NC from one of these schools. I'm from NC and there are a lot of great schools there as you know. I really don't see you being that competitive from any of these schools, even if you're at the top of the class. Even if someone else is paying 100%, I don't think it's worth your time.

Just my 2 cents. hth

wightjm

Postby wightjm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:28 pm

JustE wrote:

Didn't even check the profile. If you have a 3.5, I would def retake and reapply. With a solid score you should get cash from Wake. I wouldn't do TN, KY, or SC. It's going to be hard to get back into NC from any of these schools.

I just saw your post on your scores and I doubt you've hit a score cap. I really think you just need to look at some of the guides up here. Kaplan works for some people, but I honestly think it's crap. If you need a guide or materials send me a PM. There's no harm in a 3rd try. I've been there and taking the extra year was the best decision I ever made.

The cost of attending isn't the issue here. It's your ability to get a job after graduation in NC from one of these schools. I'm from NC and there are a lot of great schools there as you know. I really don't see you being that competitive from any of these schools, even if you're at the top of the class. Even if someone else is paying 100%, I don't think it's worth your time.

Just my 2 cents. hth

I might consider making a deposit and begin preparing for the June test. I appreciate your help.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:Get your independent funding to pay for you while you retake and get into Wake.

+1 :D This is really the best answer. I just looked at their TLS profiles and none of these schools are good options for you. Good luck! And seriously, if you need materials, PM me. Trying to save you a couple thousand bucks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”