UNC vs. Wake Forest Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DoctorSpanky

New

UNC vs. Wake Forest

Post by DoctorSpanky » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey yall, I am trying to choose between UNC and Wake and I was hoping for some input from NC folks. Thanks to financial aid, my cost of attendance for these two schools is as near as makes no difference. What I am really looking for is advice concerning relative prestige of each school, job opportunities at graduation, and whether either school seems to better prepare its students to be lawyers in any meaningful way.

Thanks in advance!

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Re: UNC vs. Wake Forest

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Many, many, many threads exist on this. If cost is the same, go with whichever one you like better. Anyone who claims there is a meaningful difference between the two in terms of job prospects is wrong.

Seriously, just visit them both and go with whichever strikes your fancy.

anan

New

Post by anan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 pm

UNC is better.

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 pm

The search function would be good for this. That bring said, if the cost is the same, UNC is the better choice IMO.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Many, many, many threads exist on this. If cost is the same, go with whichever one you like better. Anyone who claims there is a meaningful difference between the two in terms of job prospects is wrong.

Seriously, just visit them both and go with whichever strikes your fancy.
Exactly. If you want a bigger state school and all the pros and cons that go along with that, go to UNC. If you want a smaller, more personalized school, also with plenty pros and cons, go to Wake. If you do well and want to work in NC, your employment prospects will be pretty much the same from either school. They're both good schools, and, honestly, if the prices are the same, there's really no wrong answer. Given the same choice (same cost of tuition for both, etc.), I picked Wake, but I know people who chose UNC too. Just visit both if you haven't already, meet the people, look around the towns, and you won't have that hard of a time figuring out which one fits your personality best.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mh2015

New

Post by mh2015 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:22 am

As others have suggested, go with whichever is the right fit for you; they are very different schools with very different feels. The only additional piece of advice I would offer is to look into the specific area of law you are interested in, if you know it. If you are more interested in Public Interest, UNC may be better for that; if you are more interested in litigation, Wake may be a better fit. Speak with specific professors at both schools to get a feel for which is a better fit for you. I was in a similar situation (with the same schools, in fact), and one professor actually told me that while they would really like me to attend their school, for what I am interested in, the other may be actually be a better fit. Advice like that, from a professor who really knows what they are talking about, is incredibly valuable.

Best of luck in your decision process!

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:07 am

Not an NC person, but if cost is the same, I feel like UNC is far superior in the state, in the region, and nationally than Wake Forest.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:39 am

NinerFan wrote:Not an NC person, but if cost is the same, I feel like UNC is far superior in the state, in the region, and nationally than Wake Forest.
Cool story bro. You're wrong.

If you wanna split hairs, then Wake has outpaced UNC in NLJ250 placement 9 years in a row now. UNC is better for DA/DOJ/PD/etc. The difference in placement in any category, however, is pretty negligible.

mh2015

New

Post by mh2015 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 am

NinerFan wrote:Not an NC person, but if cost is the same, I feel like UNC is far superior in the state, in the region, and nationally than Wake Forest.
Yeah, in general, Wake tends to be a little better all-around than UNC, but really it comes down to which school has the better fit for you. Both are really good choices, so you can't really go wrong either way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:41 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
Cool story sister. You're wrong.

If you wanna split hairs, then Wake has outpaced UNC in NLJ250 placement 9 years in a row now. UNC is better for DA/DOJ/PD/etc. The difference in placement in any category, however, is pretty negligible.
Well, I've seen many more attorneys with a UNC Jd than a Wake JD in firms around the state.

And, Chapel Hill >>>>>>>>>> Winston Salem

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:13 pm

NinerFan wrote: Well, I've seen many more attorneys with a UNC Jd than a Wake JD in firms around the state.

And, Chapel Hill >>>>>>>>>> Winston Salem
UNC is ~225 persons a class, Wake Forest is 160.

And I thought Winston-Salem was rather charming. Plus 18 year olds are the most annoying species on the planet.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Hm, I guess the Winston v Chapel Hill debate might depend on if OP is in their early 20's or a 30 year old.

But considering how well the Triangle is regarded, I'm skeptical that Winston Salem is better than Chapel Hill.

Eastcoast77

New

Post by Eastcoast77 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Wake seems better nationally not so north Carolina focused however they r similiar I would pick wake

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:10 pm

NinerFan wrote:Hm, I guess the Winston v Chapel Hill debate might depend on if OP is in their early 20's or a 30 year old.

But considering how well the Triangle is regarded, I'm skeptical that Winston Salem is better than Chapel Hill.
I go to Wake and think W-S sucks as a city. Plenty of people disagree with me and that's fine. But if you are debating the quality of education/job prospects, these two schools are basically the same and therefore should visit both and assuming costs are equal attend the one you "fit" with better.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”