UMD v. Wake v Georgia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

???

Georgia (Tuition Equalization)
58%
Wake (23k)
33%
UMD (sticker)
8%

Total votes: 12

Marie34

UMD v. Wake v Georgia

Postby Marie34 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 pm

So I've narrowed it down to three options. I got 23k a year at wake, Tuition Equalization at Georgia, and nada at UMD. UMD right now is at the top of my list. I'm from NY and want to eventually work in the northeast, so I feel like Maryland would be my best bet for future job prospects. But then again, is it stupid to give up great scholarships at two other schools that are just as good? Money is not really an issue, as my parents are well off and have graciously offered to pay for everything (I will be taking out loans regardless though), but still I don't want to push a huge expense on them either. I eventually want to practice some type of Business Law; I know none of these three are really strong on this area, but from doing research it seems Georgia and Maryland have the stronger business law program out of the three...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

eandy

Re: UMD v. Wake v Georgia

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Retake and reapply to a school in the northeast. Those are all regional schools.

Marie34

Postby Marie34 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:29 pm

eandy wrote:Retake and reapply to a school in the northeast. Those are all regional schools.

...and i forgot to mention a stipulation of my parents paying for law school is that I go straight from undergrad. I know, don't ask why but they won't budge from that. Kind of ridiculous and pathetic but I'd rather take the money then wait a year. I wouldn't mind working in the Maryland area, I just know I won't want to work in NC or Georgia...

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Marie34 wrote:
eandy wrote:Retake and reapply to a school in the northeast. Those are all regional schools.

...and i forgot to mention a stipulation of my parents paying for law school is that I go straight from undergrad. I know, don't ask why but they won't budge from that. Kind of ridiculous and pathetic but I'd rather take the money then wait a year. I wouldn't mind working in the Maryland area, I just know I won't want to work in NC or Georgia...

Maryland by a mile then. You should never attend a regional school if you don't like the place, because the odds are that you'll be there a while.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Marie34 wrote:

You need to sit down and explain to them how legal hiring works (if you understand it yourself). Eandy is right, these schools are regional.

Otherwise, Maryland.

iosborn12

Postby iosborn12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 am

Just going to comment on UMD since I'm a 0L, but do live in Baltimore. If you going to spring for UMD, make sure your OK with Baltimore permanatly. It is a very quirky city, and although there are more and more transplants coming here, it is a very insular city. It has a much different atmosphere than NYC or Boston. You may make a lot of friends here, but it is very difficult to really crack their inner circles made up of former high school friends. The place is bizzarly cliquey based on the high school one goes to (if you ask someone in Baltimore where they went to school they will tell you their high school, not undergrad). I would imagine this carries on to professional circles as well which can be an important part of bringing in business (or a possible hindrance in your case).

Also make sure you check out where the law school is in Baltimore. It is in a pretty sketchy area, and you would want to live at least a few miles away from campus. If you wind up there feel free to PM me and I can tell you a few places to check out for housing.

iosborn12

Postby iosborn12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 am

Marie34 wrote:
eandy wrote:I wouldn't mind working in the Maryland area, I just know I won't want to work in NC or Georgia...

Also what is it about Maryland you like more than NC or Georgia? Baltimore is a homeless man's Charlotte, and I don't even need to compare it to Atlanta. Keep in mind that once you get outside of Baltimore, it turns real southern real fast. Some of the most southern acting friends I have from undergrad in South Carolina are from the rural parts of Maryland.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:58 am

I feel the comment about the parents. My parents had similar issues, but they are much happier and I'm in a much better position than I might have been 4 years ago. Time off is almost always a plus. There are plenty of things you can do.

Retake. Reapply.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”