Hedge my bets for deposits?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rowdyrr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Hedge my bets for deposits?

Postby rowdyrr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi,

Backstory: I applied to a small/medium crop of schools, including a couple safety and reaches, T1 being reach, and T2/T3 being mid-range/safeties respectively. I have mediocre/little below average stats with good soft factors and nothing that would warrant further digging into my application. This was back in December and applied to a couple in early January. Immediately got into all my safety's and slowly denied from most reach schools. My mid-range/few reach schools, for some reason are taking forever to get back to me. That is, they haven't even wait-listed me or communicated with me in any way since applying to them months ago. These schools include Wisconsin, Indiana, LSU, and Penn State.

After applying to Penn State back in December, I just found out that I was denied from there a couple hours ago.

Now my question: Seeing as how seat deposits are due in a week, should I just go ahead and pay my seat deposit to the one safety school that I would consider going to (Univ. St. Thomas in MN), or should I wait for word from my remaining schools (Wisconsin, Indiana, LSU)?

This late in the cycle, do they even offer any more seats for those that haven't been wait-listed? Why would they wait that long in the first place, without any word and not just out-right denied me? These are the only mid-range schools that I applied to, and thought I would be able to get in easily to at least one of them.




P.S. Did my undergrad/got LettersofRec at Wisconsin and am a Wisco resident. Also, just got off the phone with Indiana admissions who said that they have to review my files further, which could take as long as another month. She advised that I pay the deposit for whatever school right now.

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Hedge my bets for deposits?

Postby bdole2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 pm

rowdyrr wrote:Hi,

Backstory: I applied to a small/medium crop of schools, including a couple safety and reaches, T1 being reach, and T2/T3 being mid-range/safeties respectively. I have mediocre/little below average stats with good soft factors and nothing that would warrant further digging into my application. This was back in December and applied to a couple in early January. Immediately got into all my safety's and slowly denied from most reach schools. My mid-range/few reach schools, for some reason are taking forever to get back to me. That is, they haven't even wait-listed me or communicated with me in any way since applying to them months ago. These schools include Wisconsin, Indiana, LSU, and Penn State.

After applying to Penn State back in December, I just found out that I was denied from there a couple hours ago.

Now my question: Seeing as how seat deposits are due in a week, should I just go ahead and pay my seat deposit to the one safety school that I would consider going to (Univ. St. Thomas in MN), or should I wait for word from my remaining schools (Wisconsin, Indiana, LSU)?

This late in the cycle, do they even offer any more seats for those that haven't been wait-listed? Why would they wait that long in the first place, without any word and not just out-right denied me? These are the only mid-range schools that I applied to, and thought I would be able to get in easily to at least one of them.




P.S. Did my undergrad/got LettersofRec at Wisconsin and am a Wisco resident. Also, just got off the phone with Indiana admissions who said that they have to review my files further, which could take as long as another month. She advised that I pay the deposit for whatever school right now.



Do you want to work in Wisconsin after you graduate? If so then why are you applying to schols like LSU and Penn State? Take a year off and retake the LSAT. Reapply this fall and try to get in with $$$ at Wisconsin.

rowdyrr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Hedge my bets for deposits?

Postby rowdyrr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:44 pm

bdole2 wrote: Do you want to work in Wisconsin after you graduate? If so then why are you applying to schols like LSU and Penn State? Take a year off and retake the LSAT. Reapply this fall and try to get in with $$$ at Wisconsin.


To put it shortly, no. If I had no better options, then I'd stay in Wisconsin. I basically only applied there by default. I applied to other schools because I wanted to get out of Wisconsin, but still be at a somewhat comparable school albeit in a different state.

jdamele76
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:49 am

Re: Hedge my bets for deposits?

Postby jdamele76 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Same thing here for ASU and Alabama. Actually we are in almost exactly the same situation. I am reserving deposit for my top 3 schools because each has said they will review scholarships after deposit deadline. I shouldn't go as far as recommending that because I don't know your exact situation and I am by no means an expert but I figure my choice could inform you as to what others are doing.

rowdyrr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Hedge my bets for deposits?

Postby rowdyrr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 am

jdamele76 wrote:Same thing here for ASU and Alabama. Actually we are in almost exactly the same situation. I am reserving deposit for my top 3 schools because each has said they will review scholarships after deposit deadline. I shouldn't go as far as recommending that because I don't know your exact situation and I am by no means an expert but I figure my choice could inform you as to what others are doing.


You also haven't heard a thing from them since you applied? What if you don't get into any of them?

Honestly, I'm not too worried about scholarship offers at this point and I assume scholarship money is all but dried up this late in the game. I'm just focused on being admitted.

jdamele76
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:49 am

Re: Hedge my bets for deposits?

Postby jdamele76 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:01 am

rowdyrr wrote:
jdamele76 wrote:Same thing here for ASU and Alabama. Actually we are in almost exactly the same situation. I am reserving deposit for my top 3 schools because each has said they will review scholarships after deposit deadline. I shouldn't go as far as recommending that because I don't know your exact situation and I am by no means an expert but I figure my choice could inform you as to what others are doing.


You also haven't heard a thing from them since you applied? What if you don't get into any of them?

Honestly, I'm not too worried about scholarship offers at this point and I assume scholarship money is all but dried up this late in the game. I'm just focused on being admitted.


Yeah, I keep calling but they tell me it will be later (last time they said mid March) My top 3 schools are not Alabama or ASU (well Alabama would be one if they accepted me, but I am only counting those which have accepted me) Scholarship money should become more readily available once deposits are in because the school has a much better opportunity to know who is actually serious about going. This is at least what admissions tells me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests