University of Maryland, Michigan State, or Pace! Advice?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ernesto3298

University of Maryland, Michigan State, or Pace! Advice?

Postby Ernesto3298 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm

I've reached a conclusion and have narrowed down my list to three schools: Maryland, Michigan State, and Pace.

I'm a Mexican-American, 1st generation college student, with the intent of studying trial advocacy and immigration law.

Which of the three mentioned schools would you advise me to choose and, if possible, why?

Michigan State: 1/2 tuition scholarship. Fairly new immigration law clinic/well established trial advocacy institute.
Pace: $13,000 scholarship. Outstanding immigration law clinic. Trial advocacy clinic and several programs in the subject.
Maryland: No scholarship given as of this moment. Outstanding immigration law clinic and trial advocacy program. Top 50 law school. Most expensive of the three.

Side note: after cost of living and futher expenses are factored in, Michigan State and Pace would roughly cost about the same. (Give or take some).

Thanks!

abbottsbar

Re: University of Maryland, Michigan State, or Pace! Advice?

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:32 pm

I'll go ahead and chime in before anyone else does with the same advice.

There are several questions that need to be answered before anyone can give you any real advice. The first of these is where do you want to practice and where do you have ties?

Also, without knowing what you will get from UMD there's no way to completely evaluate the scenario.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:39 pm

what are your numbers? as a URM if u can up ur LSAT score, u need to retake

flem

Postby flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Not Pace.

Also, stats? I'd kill for a URM boost. Many will suggest you to retake for more options. They'd probably be correct.

Ernesto3298

Postby Ernesto3298 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 am

My numbers are 4.0 GPA, 151 LSAT, and outstanding resume. I have ties in the New York tri-state area and in Texas where I interned for a well-established litigation firm and had the opportunity to work for and meet many respected attorneys.

I apologize for the late reply.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:30 am

Ernesto3298 wrote:My numbers are 4.0 GPA, 151 LSAT, and outstanding resume. I have ties in the New York tri-state area and in Texas where I interned for a well-established litigation firm and had the opportunity to work for and meet many respected attorneys.

Jesus dude, retake. Hit a 160 and you're probably looking at the T14 due to that 4.0. High 160's and you're looking at a full ride to the T14.

Please, I beg of you. Retake retake retake.

Ernesto3298

Postby Ernesto3298 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 am

Jesus dude, retake. Hit a 160 and you're probably looking at the T14 due to that 4.0. High 160's and you're looking at a full ride to the T14.

I've heard that more than once, but it would set me back a full year and have already taken it twice. You honestly think that would be my best option?

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 am

Wow! I know this is not the answer you're going to want, but the only correct answer to your question is to retake and apply again next year.

Please, for the love of God, don't waste a 4.0 on any of those schools. Do you realize with a 10 point bump you're possibly looking at lower T-14 with a URM boost.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 am

Ernesto3298 wrote:My numbers are 4.0 GPA, 151 LSAT, and outstanding resume. I have ties in the New York tri-state area and in Texas where I interned for a well-established litigation firm and had the opportunity to work for and meet many respected attorneys.

I don't think I have ever said this.... But retake the fucking LSAT and reapply next year. Even if you bump it up to a 158 to 160, you'll be getting serious scholarship offers from NYC tier II schools. The fact that a school has a good trial advocacy and/or a good clinic, etc., should not impact your decision in any meaningful way.

Ernesto3298

Postby Ernesto3298 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 am

True. I've placed a deposit already so it gives me time to think about it. After all, I'm still young and waiting a year would not drastically impact anything..

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 am

Ernesto3298 wrote:
I've heard that more than once, but it would set me back a full year and have already taken it twice. You honestly think that would be my best option?

Would you rather go now, be out in three years, and have mediocre (at best) job prospects? Or retake, wait a year, enjoy Harvard/Yale/Stanford and make it rain?

For me the choice would be easy. I know it seems like a huge deal to wait/delay another year, but it's not in hindsight. Take a year off, study for the LSAT, gain work experience (which will help you in OCI) and profit.

edit:

Ernesto3298 wrote:True. I've placed a deposit already so it gives me time to think about it. After all, I'm still young and waiting a year would not drastically impact anything..

Looks like you already have a reasonable perspective on this.

Ernesto3298

Postby Ernesto3298 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks for the input guys. Frankly it's not what I wanted to hear, but its looking more and more that that's what I'm going to end up doing.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 am

Ernesto3298 wrote:

YES

A URM with a 4.0 and a low to mid 160s could kick ass in the T14 next year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”