Need Decision Help: UCI $$$ vs. Loyola $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
decisions/are/hard
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Need Decision Help: UCI $$$ vs. Loyola $$$

Postby decisions/are/hard » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 pm

So here it is (by the way I want to go into entertainment or media law)

Loyola with $32,000 scholarship per year dependent on a 3.2 GPA stipulation. However, I will save money by living at home and I want to practice law in Los Angeles.

UCI with $30,000 per year dependent on a 2.0 GPA stipulation. And I will have very expensive housing costs, all of the housing at UCI is super expensive people!!

I am on wait list at UCLA Law, and have yet to hear back from USC. Chances are if I do get in, there won't be any money for me and I will be doing it all on loans.

Worried about that GPA stipulation at Loyola, but I really really don't want to be all the way in Irvine for living costs and personal reasons. I know UCI class size is better at Loyola.

Which is the best decision? Those are big scholarships, the tuition at Loyola and UCI is around 43,000. So this makes it super hard to decide.

kakaa001
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: Need Decision Help: UCI $$$ vs. Loyola $$$

Postby kakaa001 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:53 pm

First, have you tried negotiating scholarships with either? It might be worthwhile. Even if you only manage to negotiate the stipulations, I think you'll have a much better peace of mind.

IMO it seems to me like Loyola might be the way to go, just because you seem very debt averse and you want to practice in LA.

decisions/are/hard
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Need Decision Help: UCI $$$ vs. Loyola $$$

Postby decisions/are/hard » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, I am very debt averse. I just emailed Loyola asking if I can get stipulation removed or if I fall below a 3.2 if I can get at least 1/2 of the scholarship. They've yet to respond. I'll probably call in tomorrow if I don't get a response today, just because Loyola wants to know whether I'm keeping the scholarship by April 2nd.

I realize both decisions aren't amazing, but both schools are offering too much money to pass up and reapply again next year.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nobiggie, Tiddlywinks and 2 guests