Fordham ($) vs NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MikeTheWilliams

Fordham ($) vs NYU

Postby MikeTheWilliams » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 pm

My options are NYU at sticker vs 20k a year guaranteed at Fordham.

Thoughts?

soj

Re: Fordham ($) vs NYU

Postby soj » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Do you want biglaw? 60K is a lot of money but a decent price to pay to more than double your chances of biglaw.

MikeTheWilliams

Postby MikeTheWilliams » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:51 pm

That's the plan. I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as you.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 pm

60k at Fordham still means COA there of 150k+. NYU sticker is not an attractive option, but with your split and no work experience, it's probably going to be your best option.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:02 pm

NYU no question.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:04 pm

I think the extra price is justified by the exponentially higher chance of getting NYC biglaw. NYU (along with CLS) dominate NYC firm hiring, and both make it very easy to secure a big firm job with halfway decent grades. The same can't be said for Fordham. Look, the debt burden will be big from either, so I think its smarter to pick the place where at least you wont have the pressure to have to finish in the top 20-25%. I think NYU is far and away the right choice. I should note that I might be a bit biased but I would give the same answer regardless.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I don't think there's any case in which taking the Fordham offer is justified. NYU, easily.

MikeTheWilliams

Postby MikeTheWilliams » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Everyone's saying stuff that makes sense to me. I think I was curious whether someone would make a good case for Fordham that I didn't think about. It seems not...

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Well Fordham does place reasonably well in NYC for its rank. However, it falls behind Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and GULC and in this order. So while Fordham does have access to the NYC biglaw market, you have a greater chance at NYU. Also sticker at NYU is worth it 100%. Just live frugally, pay off as much as you can with SA money etc.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:56 pm

MikeTheWilliams wrote:My options are NYU at sticker vs 20k a year guaranteed at Fordham.

Thoughts?

As a general rule, NYU at sticker is better than Fordham, with scholly
(the exceptions being if you're the recipient of one of the 2 full schollys they give out, OR if your long-term plans are best served by having minimal debt; neither exception is particularly common).

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:56 pm

it really shouldn't be a question. For all the notoriety Fordham gets for biglaw hiring, its not in the same ballpark as NYU, and its reputation lags by miles in the minds of bigfirm partners.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Bronck wrote:I don't think there's any case in which taking the Fordham offer is justified. NYU, easily.

Thus. The cavernous difference in job placement is not worth 60k.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Well Fordham does place reasonably well in NYC for its rank. However, it falls behind Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and GULC and in this order. So while Fordham does have access to the NYC biglaw market, you have a greater chance at NYU. Also sticker at NYU is worth it 100%. Just live frugally, pay off as much as you can with SA money etc.

Not sure where you are getting that from. A lot of the top schools place very well in NYC. Fordahm would fall considerably behind almost every top 14 school, especially after accounting for selection bias. Also, why are you including Georgetown on that list and not Harvard, Chicago, Duke, etc., all of which have more success in NY than GULC. Sort of a peculiar list, but the gist of your argument is still a good one.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:47 pm

dingbat wrote:
MikeTheWilliams wrote:My options are NYU at sticker vs 20k a year guaranteed at Fordham.

Thoughts?

As a general rule, NYU at sticker is better than Fordham, with scholly
(the exceptions being if you're the recipient of one of the 2 full schollys they give out, OR if your long-term plans are best served by having minimal debt; neither exception is particularly common).

FWIW Fordham is very generous with their yellow ribbon program for vets which means a vet can use the GI Bill to cover 100% of tuition and CoL there. CLS and NYU will not be covered to that extent. So, for a vet that wants zero debt LS Fordham > CLS & NYU

Beyond that, the chances of being able to pay debt off is better at NYU.

JC

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

kaiser wrote:I think the extra price is justified by the exponentially higher chance of getting NYC biglaw. NYU (along with CLS) dominate NYC firm hiring, and both make it very easy to secure a big firm job with halfway decent grades. The same can't be said for Fordham. Look, the debt burden will be big from either, so I think its smarter to pick the place where at least you wont have the pressure to have to finish in the top 20-25%. I think NYU is far and away the right choice. I should note that I might be a bit biased but I would give the same answer regardless.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Considering you're gonna need a big law salary to pay offer either debt within a reasonable time frame, you might as well double your odds and go to NYU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”