The final showdown! Cornell or Vandy (same $ at both)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school should I take?

Cornell (CoA: 149,040)
70%
Vanderbilt (CoA: 135,438)
17%
Notre Dame (CoA:117,240)
3%
Run away from lawl school and never look back.
10%

Total votes: 94

bigeast03

The final showdown! Cornell or Vandy (same $ at both)?

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am

Alright, so I've narrowed down my list of schools to these three. I wasn't super interested in attending any school at sticker, but didn't really want to sacrifice that much in terms of job prospects for a full ride. As of now here are my choices:

Notre Dame with a $22,500/year scholarship
Vanderbilt with a $25,000/year scholarship
Cornell with a $25,000/year scholarship

So the scholarship amounts are all pretty similar, but CoA differs about 10-20k between each. I'm not sure if this a negligible amount, or something to consider. I have ties to North Carolina and New York and weak ties to Seattle (grew up all over the place!). Would prefer either BigLaw or some kind of government position (good luck with that, I know). So, given all of this, which would you choose TLS?
Last edited by bigeast03 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigeast03

Re: Help me choose! Cornell, ND or Vandy ($ at all)?

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Shameless bump.

The poll is pretty split between Vandy and Cornell- anybody want to elaborate on their opinions for these two? Should the CoA difference be a consideration?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Yeah ND has to be out. Pick whichever you like best of Cornell or Vandy.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Yeah ND has to be out. Pick whichever you like best of Cornell or Vandy.

Agreed. Not ND.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Yeah ND has to be out. Pick whichever you like best of Cornell or Vandy.

Agreed. Not ND.

Ditto. Im going to ND and a huge fan myself but for what you want it just doesn't make sense. Pick a region and go for it. Congrats.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:06 pm

If you want a good chance at biglaw, pick Cornell. NYC biglaw is what Cornell does. Also nyc is the biggest biglaw market so...

Also Cornell cannot really be reduced to the status of a 'regional' school. Sure most grads work in nyc, but then again most people who go to Cornell want nyc biglaw. The degree is geographically portable to a degree.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:10 pm

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:The degree is geographically portable to a degree.

Not so much to places you don't have ties to. And it's not a better choice for the South, even with OP's ties. So I still think the best answer is:

rad lulz wrote:If you'd prefer to work at a Southern firm, Vanderbilt. If an NYC firm, Cornell. Pick which region, and you've got your answer.

Is it weird that I didn't like you as Grizz but now like you as rad lulz? Did you suddenly become a softer individual or is it just the avatar change that is fooling me?

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you'd prefer to work at a Southern firm, Vanderbilt. If an NYC firm, Cornell. Pick which region, and you've got your answer.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:16 pm

NJPitcher

Postby NJPitcher » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:31 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Not so much to places you don't have ties to. And it's not a better choice for the South, even with OP's ties. So I still think the best answer is:

Is it weird that I didn't like you as Grizz but now like you as rad lulz? Did you suddenly become a softer individual or is it just the avatar change that is fooling me?

Glad u liek me I guess, but not sure how the rampant hazer from "Dazed and Confused" holding a paddle that says "FAH Q" presents a softer image.

He's smiling and you can see his eyes. That's all it takes to fool our weak little minds.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:43 pm

That's what I had figured. Thank you everyone for the input!

TBanks

Postby TBanks » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:58 am

SPAM REMOVED

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 am

TBanks wrote:SPAM REMOVED

Cool

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 am

lsatcrazy wrote:

Cool

Story

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:

Cool

Story

Bro?

I did it! First time!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:53 am

In case it wasn't obvious... don't quote spam.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm going to revive this thread because deposit deadlines are quickly approaching. After visiting both Cornell and Vandy, I'm more torn than ever. I felt extremely comfortable at Vanderbilt, and I definitely feel like being there would provide a better quality of life for me. However, I feel like Cornell's job prospects are markedly higher. Am I crazy to turn down the additional opportunities that Cornell may provide by choosing Vandy, particularly given the relatively equality of Cost of Attendance at each?

Help/input would be greatly appreciated!

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Quoting yourself is heroic. And I agree. You seem like the warm and friendly type as rad lulz

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:07 pm

top30man wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Quoting yourself is heroic. And I agree. You seem like the warm and friendly type as rad lulz

Agreed.

Also, OP have you tried to leverage more money out of Vandy using the Cornell scholly?

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Jaeger wrote: Also, OP have you tried to leverage more money out of Vandy using the Cornell scholly?

I thought that Vandy was pretty strict about not negotiating? If anyone knows otherwise, definitely correct me.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 pm

bigeast03 wrote:
Jaeger wrote: Also, OP have you tried to leverage more money out of Vandy using the Cornell scholly?

I thought that Vandy was pretty strict about not negotiating? If anyone knows otherwise, definitely correct me.

Ah, I think that's true actually. I'd still try though. Couldn't hurt.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 pm

bigeast03 wrote:I'm going to revive this thread because deposit deadlines are quickly approaching. After visiting both Cornell and Vandy, I'm more torn than ever. I felt extremely comfortable at Vanderbilt, and I definitely feel like being there would provide a better quality of life for me. However, I feel like Cornell's job prospects are markedly higher. Am I crazy to turn down the additional opportunities that Cornell may provide by choosing Vandy, particularly given the relatively equality of Cost of Attendance at each?

Help/input would be greatly appreciated!

I think that socially, you will more than likely be happy at both places and Cornell certainly does offer more security as far as hedging your bets on Biglaw. So, I think Cornell is the right choice here absent a desire for a particular southern market and even then, Cornell is not a bad choice. (Also I think Cornell will turn more heads, or get more people to pick up your resume more often than Vanderbilt, simply because of the name, in the Northeast and anywhere else but the South). If it is only QoL that's keeping you from Cornell, I would tell you that it is only 3 years, however, if you just don't want to be there, then you just don't want to be there, and Vandy does seems like a cool place to be for three years.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”