Help with choosing a school. F2012.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LogicalBaozi

Re: Help with choosing a school. F2012.

Postby LogicalBaozi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:33 am

Tom Joad wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I can't think of a single US biglaw firm that has offices abroad that recruits fresh JD grads at OCI (exception being a couple UK firms in London). When I've seen recruitment ads for these offices for US JDs (no previous foreign degree, not LLM students), it looks like they normally take other big firm laterals or transfers from their other offices.

So unless the channels to hiring at these firms are TOTALLY different than traditional OCI and have DRASTICALLY lower standards than biglaw recruiting in the states (they may be), I don't think your plan is feasible given that these schools don't offer good biglaw prospects to begin with.

Talk to some associates at these firms if you can and figure out how they got there, especially if they have been hired DIRECTLY into the office (which is what you want).

I have no idea about your situation and I doubt anybody else knows exactly what your situation is, but I have a feeling this post could save you hundreds of thousands of dollars if heeded.

Agreed. Also looking into working abroad, and rad lulz is right on the money from what I've learned (talked to four associates currently working in Asian offices- two Tokyo, one HK, on Shanghai). Recruited into BigLaw at OCI or after a clerkship, and then lateraled abroad or something similar.

Looking at the personnel files for foreign offices, there are two types in BigLaw:
US JDs from similar backgrounds as their NY/DC counterparts, who are now abroad (i.e. not from T3 backgrounds, went through OCI)
Locals with degrees from top-tier local schools. I don't know which country you are from, but the BigLaw China/Japan/HK offices only take the best of the best of the locals- and they want them for LOCAL degrees and expertise, almost none of the ones I have seen (again, just browsing the online profiles, many offer search functions based on alma mater) have US JDs, especially not from Tier 3 schools.

Again, I have ONLY looked at American-based BigLaw firms.

I am assuming OP is interested in local BigLaw, rather than the foreign branch offices of American BigLaw. American BigLaw does not relax its standards for foreign offices, as far as I know. I have no idea how local law firms work in his region. I'm guessing they just need someone who has passed the Bar in an American state? A college buddy of mine took his T2 JD to Israel, got hired in-house by some company who just needed a counsel who understood American law, which even the best local lawyers can't compete with. Just different markets.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:47 am

rad lulz wrote:I can't think of a single US biglaw firm that has offices abroad that recruits fresh JD grads at OCI (exception being a couple UK firms in London). When I've seen recruitment ads for these offices for US JDs (no previous foreign degree, not LLM students), it looks like they normally take other big firm laterals or transfers from their other offices.

So unless the channels to hiring at these firms are TOTALLY different than traditional OCI and have DRASTICALLY lower standards than biglaw recruiting in the states (they may be), I don't think your plan is feasible given that these schools don't offer good biglaw prospects to begin with.

At CLS EIP few US firms recruit directly into their Asian offices. But those opportunities would not be available at the schools listed.

rad lulz wrote:Talk to some associates at these firms if you can and figure out how they got there, especially if they have been hired DIRECTLY into the office (which is what you want).

This is the 180 advice in this thread. If the home country firms are really looking for biglaw experience OP is shit out of luck with his current school choices.

Gavel

Postby Gavel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 pm

I divided the schools in groups i used "Tiers" not representing which tiers they are actually from. (in retrospect, that is confusing)

thanks for the input guys. will wait for other schools to reply and figure things out.

thanks again

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm

If job prospects and debt don't matter I don't know why you'd choose anywhere other than USD.

Scuppers

Postby Scuppers » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Malibu, bra. Malibu.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”