Seattle U, Pacific, or Oregon

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
15 to 32

Seattle U, Pacific, or Oregon

Postby 15 to 32 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:14 am

I've narrowed my list down to 3 schools. Some help on what people on here would view as the best pick would be greatly appreciated.

Just a basic bio: I'm 22, married, and have a 3 year old daughter. That needs to be taken into consideration on costs.

Seattle U - Part Time
- As of now no scholarship (working to get an offer)
- Love Seattle and wouldn't mind making a permanent move there (practicing)
- Highest Ranked of schools looking at
- Family in Tacoma that works/visits Seattle regularly
- Most Expensive all around (tuition, cost of living, etc)

Oregon - Full Time
- Also no scholarship offer as of now
- Never visited Eugene but have been to numerous other parts (not just Portland) of Oregon and liked it
- Closest family is about an hour away
- Sports and Entertainment Group that interests me (I know this is a pipe dream)
- Working while going to school would be very difficult
- Middle in terms of cost of tuition and ranking
- Cheapest cost of living
- If I practiced in Oregon I would want to get into Portland - L&C has more power there

Pacific/McGeorge - Part Time
- Deans Scholarship (12K) and "Honors at Admissions" (Free Books for 1L)
- Never been to Sacramento though have family in the area that loves it
- Visited cities like San Francisco and San Jose and like them, heard they are much different though
- Family and close friends nearby
- Not sure if I would like to practice there

There are a lot of other things that goes into each school, obviously, but those are the main points of discussion.
Your opinions on selection would be greatly welcomed.

Retaking is a possibility but not one that I'm too keen on. I'd prefer getting a year of law school under my belt and trying my (razor thin) luck on transferring (back to Utah - UofU ideally) than sit around here at a crap in-between job and not get my legal education started.

Bronck

Re: Seattle U, Pacific, or Oregon

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 am

Why do you want to go back to Utah? Is that your most desired location for practicing law? If so, you should really go to a school in Utah from the start.

Honestly, none of these options are very good for the price (and Pacific/McGeorge should be off the table because you don't know if you want to practice in the region). A retake would (potentially) put you in a much better position.

15 to 32

Postby 15 to 32 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:28 am

Bronck wrote:Why do you want to go back to Utah? Is that your most desired location for practicing law? If so, you should really go to a school in Utah from the start.

Honestly, none of these options are very good for the price (and Pacific/McGeorge should be off the table because you don't know if you want to practice in the region). A retake would (potentially) put you in a much better position.

I'm from Utah and love the area (call me a freak). My original goal was to get into the U but I got rejected and am now figuring out what to do.

I'm traveling to Sacramento this weekend to get a feel for the area.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:37 am

]
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:54 am

Do not take on debt for the possibility of transferring- be patient (you are a parent after all!) and retake. Your debt after three years of law school will be in the mid to high six figures and there is no way to discharge it short of total paralysis. It will follow you and your family and be a serious drain on your finances and living standard.

15 to 32

Postby 15 to 32 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:58 am

Is it purely the debt that makes you guys think a retake is the better option or are there also disadvantages to these schools?

thank you for the feedback, btw

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:00 am

15 to 32 wrote:Is it purely the debt that makes you guys think a retake is the better option or are there also disadvantages to these schools?

thank you for the feedback, btw

It's the debt-to-employment prospect ratio as well as the fact that you want to live in Utah.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 am

15 to 32 wrote:Is it purely the debt that makes you guys think a retake is the better option or are there disadvantages to these schools?

It is debt combined with job prospects. Your most likely salary out of those schools will be in the 40-60K range. Yet you are paying sticker price at two of them and at Pacific/McGeorge there is a good chance you will be totally unemployed.

If you run the numbers on 150K in student loan debt (at 7.9% interest) and a 40-60K salary, it's frightening. That's $1200 in interest payments every month alone. By that time your kid will be starting school.

15 to 32

Postby 15 to 32 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Update:

I've ruled out both Oregon and McGeorge.
Oregon was full time and working that with the family was just impossible.
McGeorge was in suckramento. 'nuff said.

I've since been offered a $7K scholarship to Seattle U. Nothing substantial, but something nonetheless.

The question now is:
Do I go to Seattle U, part time, at that cost
or
Do I retake and try my hardest to get into the U

Thanks for any advice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:08 pm

15 to 32 wrote:Do I retake and try my hardest to get into the U

This.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”