Temple (sticker in-state), w&l (7.5k/yr), UNC (sticker oos)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dmak118

Temple (sticker in-state), w&l (7.5k/yr), UNC (sticker oos)

Postby dmak118 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Hey everyone,

So my cycle has finally come to an end. These are the choices that I have, but there is some more info. Although, Temple is in state, I won't save in money in cost of living because I can't live at home (family issues). So, that makes temple 120k. W&L gave me a small scholarship of 7.5k. I'm lucky to have any money due to an abysmal undergrad gpa. I have some family in NC, so even though I will be oos i'm thinking i could use them as "ties" when oci comes around. My preference is on the eastern seaboard. I grew up in Philly all my life and I hate it, which is another reason why I don't want to go to temple. My goal is to do human rights work internationally. I understand the risks and difficulty of this field. I have connections/experience in the field (I'm fluent in two languages) and I am willing to hustle. I'm leaning towards w&l bc I like the small student body and they seem to have a decent program for intl law with some opportunities and internships. Temple and UNC don't seem to offer these kind of opportunities. I also understand that if things don't work out internationally I'd be happy to do PI here in America. Is W&L my best option here?

Easy-E

Re: Temple (sticker in-state), w&l (7.5k/yr), UNC (sticker oos)

Postby Easy-E » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 am

dmak118 wrote:Hey everyone,

So my cycle has finally come to an end. These are the choices that I have, but there is some more info. Although, Temple is in state, I won't save in money in cost of living because I can't live at home (family issues). So, that makes temple 120k. W&L gave me a small scholarship of 7.5k. I'm lucky to have any money due to an abysmal undergrad gpa. I have some family in NC, so even though I will be oos i'm thinking i could use them as "ties" when oci comes around. My preference is on the eastern seaboard. I grew up in Philly all my life and I hate it, which is another reason why I don't want to go to temple. My goal is to do human rights work internationally. I understand the risks and difficulty of this field. I have connections/experience in the field (I'm fluent in two languages) and I am willing to hustle. I'm leaning towards w&l bc I like the small student body and they seem to have a decent program for intl law with some opportunities and internships. Temple and UNC don't seem to offer these kind of opportunities. I also understand that if things don't work out internationally I'd be happy to do PI here in America. Is W&L my best option here?

Well, if you hate Philly, I'd say don't go to Temple. On the other hand, I don't know much about W&L. What was your LSAT? Is retaking an option?

dmak118

Postby dmak118 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 am

I got a 158(2nd time), and I have tendered my resignation at my current job(teaching abroad in japan). I'm also 25, so I really want to start my life.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:37 am

don't go to law school. none of your options are winners, and you have just as much chance of doing "international human rights law" if you go to culinary school.

hand to god, i'm being honest with you. do something else. you'll thank me later.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 am

dmak118 wrote:I got a 158(2nd time), and I have tendered my resignation at my current job(teaching abroad in japan). I'm also 25, so I really want to start my life.

How did you prep for the LSAT? Any school that takes you with a 158 probably isn't going to be worth it, unless you equate starting your life to having crushing debt and shit job prospects.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”