The Truth About Yale

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
slsorhls

Re: The Truth About Yale

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Sorry you didn't get in to Yale, bro.

If only I could use that "argument" on all the Stanford-lovers here who didn't get into Harvard because they couldn't hit 170 on the LSAT.

Postby 071816 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:03 pm

slsorhls wrote:

If only I could use that "argument" on all the Stanford-lovers here who didn't get into Harvard.

stop quoting that way

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm

slsorhls wrote:

If only I could use that "argument" on all the Stanford-lovers here who didn't get into Harvard because they couldn't hit 170 on the LSAT.

It's not an argument. I'm legitimately sorry you didn't get in to the best law school in the country, and now have to settle for Harvard or Stanford. I can imagine it's rough for you, bro.

first_world_problems

Postby first_world_problems » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:20 pm

slsorhls wrote:Fenwick & West
--LinkRemoved--

Anyone notice a school missing from their list? I wouldn't be surprised if other firms like Fenwick & West also skip Yale. I honestly think this one example is enough to debunk the "every employer in the nation will do whatever it takes to hire any Yale graduate" argument.

Sure, they probably accept resumes, and they'll consider them. But if they really cared about getting Yale grads, they would visit. It's that simple.

On the other hand, it's pretty clear that any firm anyone can think of visits Harvard. That's the advantage of graduating a larger class with diverse interests (i.e. not narrowly focused on academia).

Anyone who wants to put forward a degree rarity argument here can forget about it, by the way. Listen, Fenwick & West has a ton more associates and partners from Stanford than Harvard and maybe anywhere else, I'm sure. But that's self-selection. They probably have barely anyone from Harvard, and that could work in someone's favor.

Assuming that firms care about having at least 1-2 people from each top law school (as many have suggested on TLS), the same degree rarity argument launched against Harvard could easily go against Stanford here. Why take Stanford applicant A when they already have more than enough Stanford grads. Why not take Harvard applicant A when they barely have anyone from Harvard?

I still haven't seen any real evidence the degree rarity thing truly matters, but it seems like it could go either way if it did.

I think in reality there might be a bias for partners to hire people from their own alma maters.

What is your mission? Are you trying to disprove a ranking? Are you trying to justify why you did not apply to Yale (or if you applied, then why you were not admitted immediately, rejected, or waitlisted)? Can you explain to me how Fenwick's lack of attendance at Yale's OCI signals anything serious? Also, even if Fenwick doesn't attend Yale's OCI have you considered why that might be the case? Do you have inside-knowledge that Fenwick thinks Yale JDs are beneath them? You are making some wild assumptions with one example. It reminds me of the recent Olive Garden review, where this elderly woman glorified the Tuscany-flavor brought by Olive Garden based on one dish.

takehold

Postby takehold » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Image

+1.

Also OP, stop trying to project your preference for Harvard onto matters like this. It's pretty clear (if you really do have a choice between HLS and SLS) that you like Harvard better than Stanford or Yale. That's fine - go to Harvard. But your attempts to disparage Y and S are silly. People making a decision between these schools should value fit more than anything else, unless they have a really specific goal.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 pm

But your attempts to disparage Y and S are silly. People making a decision between these schools should value fit more than anything else, unless they have a really specific goal.

That's sort of my point. On the other hand, many TLSers don't agree with that. I'm pointing out why people should really take the time to consider the choices based on their values and/or goals and not believe the exaggerations.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:52 pm

slsorhls wrote:
But your attempts to disparage Y and S are silly. People making a decision between these schools should value fit more than anything else, unless they have a really specific goal.

That's sort of my point. On the other hand, many TLSers don't agree with that. I'm pointing out why people should really take the time to consider the choices based on their values and/or goals and not believe the exaggerations.

Maybe they don't OCI at Yale because they used to and found out that Yale students rarely chose them. How is your example proof of anything?

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Note they don't go to CLS either. They did 2 years ago, but this past year they didn't come. During the last year they came, they gave an offer out but that person did not accept.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:56 pm

What is your mission?

I've stated it over and over and over already on this thread. It's to disprove the commonly heard refrain that Yale is best for anything in the world, period, and other exaggerations accepted as fact on TLS.

Can you explain to me how Fenwick's lack of attendance at Yale's OCI signals anything serious?

I already pointed that out as well. It's not that serious. As an example from a larger set, it would indicate that Yale might not in fact be the best for anything in the world, period. Instead, the situation is more complicated. It's just one small example of a much larger set showing that.

In particular, as I mentioned, it means that if you were a Yale student interested in Fenwick you would have to go to somewhat greater lengths to apply/make connections.

Also, even if Fenwick doesn't attend Yale's OCI have you considered why that might be the case? Do you have inside-knowledge that Fenwick thinks Yale JDs are beneath them?

For the third time, that's already been answered as well. I think we should agree that it's simply because Yale has a smaller pool of graduates who tend to be narrowly focused on not-Fenwick things. It's not because Fenwick thinks Yale grads are beneath them. That's a ridiculous idea, and it's not something I ever suggested.
You are making some wild assumptions with one example. It reminds me of the recent Olive Garden review, where this elderly woman glorified the Tuscany-flavor brought by Olive Garden based on one dish.

Did you actually read anything I said, or are you just referring to the title and the evidence without my conclusion? I'm pointing out one example of a larger set that indicates the claim that Yale is best for anything in the universe, period, is overstated. It's hardly a difficult argument to make given the ridiculous strength of that claim. And that claim is made day after day on TLS. It really is accepted as fact in a lot of threads.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Maybe they don't OCI at Yale because they used to and found out that Yale students rarely chose them. How is your example proof of anything?

That's exactly what I said! I pointed that out earlier. It's not because they think Yale students are subpar.

The example is proof that as a Yale student, if you want to work at Fenwick and maybe other less-mainstream options, you may have to go to somewhat greater lengths than someone at Harvard, for instance. AGAIN, this is a simple, obvious advantage of going to a larger law school.

Apparently, insofar as it goes against mainstream, deeply-embedded 'rankings above all else, Yale best in the universe, period' TLS ideas, it invites a lot of negative feedback.
Last edited by slsorhls on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 pm

haha, Pierce.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 pm

They OCI at Hastings but not at Columbia.
They must think Hastings is a better school than Columbia!

I eat more jam than caviar - I must think jam is better than caviar.
(with this kind of logic skills, I don't know how you got a high enough LSAT score to get into any reputable school, let alone H or S)

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 pm

slsorhls wrote:

That's exactly what I said!!!! The example is proof that as a Yale student, if you want to work at Fenwick and maybe other less-mainstream options, you may have to go to somewhat greater lengths than someone at Harvard, for instance. AGAIN, this is a simple, obvious advantage of going to a larger law school.

But you are drawing te wrong conclusion. That means that Yale students have better options and aren't interested in Fenwick, which reinforces its status as the best law school if it means anything at all. This thread is so dumb.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 pm

There is nothing higher than the top of the mountain. Yale is better, bro. Sorry.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 pm

This is the stupidest thread on TLS.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 pm

They OCI at Hastings but not at Columbia.
They must think Hastings is a better school than Columbia!

I eat more jam than caviar - I must think jam is better than caviar.
(with this kind of logic skills, I don't know how you got a high enough LSAT score to get into any reputable school, let alone H or S)

Never once did I ever suggest, let alone claim, that this indicates in any sense whatsoever that Yale is a subpar school compared to the schools they visit. That's ridiculous. The point is simply that Yale isn't the magic bullet that many people suggest it is--that in fact a person may have to go to a little more trouble to go from Yale to various non-mainstream employment opportunities. The argument could be made that a Harvard grad would have a better shot at them through convenience and the wider distribution of HLS alumni, etc.

Postby 071816 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 pm

slsorhls, your reasoning skills are pretty shitty.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 pm

kaiser wrote:There is nothing higher than the top of the mountain. Yale is better, bro. Sorry.

Who made Yale the top of the mountain? USNWR?

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:06 pm

But you are drawing te wrong conclusion. That means that Yale students have better options and aren't interested in Fenwick, which reinforces its status as the best law school if it means anything at all. This thread is so dumb.

If you define "better" by mainstream tracks, then yes. Others don't define it that way. Others might genuinely be interested in less mainstream opportunities around the country. Those people may have something more to think about when deciding between Harvard and Yale. Not every student is 100% deadset on V5 or academia or whatever.
Last edited by slsorhls on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
kaiser wrote:There is nothing higher than the top of the mountain. Yale is better, bro. Sorry.

The USNWR is just a picture of the mountain.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 pm

There is nothing higher than the top of the mountain. Yale is better, bro. Sorry.

This is precisely the ridiculous TLS talk that my post is directed against. And it probably mostly comes from the rankings or something like that. Yale is not going to be the best choice for every single 0L, let alone every single admitted applicant.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:12 pm

ExpectLess wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

The USNWR is just a picture of the mountain.

See ASU at 26.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

The judicial branch.

and God.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:13 pm

slsorhls wrote:This is precisely the ridiculous TLS talk that my post is directed against.

This thread is what makes TLS ridiculous. I'm stoked you didn't get into Yale.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm

slsorhls wrote: Yale is not going to be the best choice for every single 0L, let alone every single admitted applicant.

No one on TLS seriously thinks this.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”