The Truth About Yale Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: The Truth About Yale

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm

slsorhls wrote:As an example from a larger set, it would indicate that Yale might not in fact be the best for anything in the world, period. Instead, the situation is more complicated. It's just one small example of a much larger set showing that.
What larger set? I see only a single link to a single firm.
slsorhls wrote:In particular, as I mentioned, it means that if you were a Yale student interested in Fenwick you would have to go to somewhat greater lengths to apply/make connections.
MY GOD, SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE TO SEND AN EMAIL. THE HUMANITY!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:15 pm

slsorhls wrote:
But you are drawing te wrong conclusion. That means that Yale students have better options and aren't interested in Fenwick, which reinforces its status as the best law school if it means anything at all. This thread is so dumb.
If you define "better" by mainstream tracks, then yes. Others don't define it that way. Others might genuinely be interested in less mainstream opportunities around the country. Those people may have something more to think about when deciding between Harvard and Yale. Not every student is 100% deadset on V5 or academia or whatever.
And not everyone should choose Yale. Many people choose other schools instead. What's your point? Yale still places the best in meaningful employment metrics.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 pm

What a bizarre OP.

It's either well-executed, slow-burning flame, or [and this is what I like to imagine it is] some weird little dude who spent hours upon hours scouring the internet for some strange sort of anti-Yale validation.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 pm

slsorhls wrote: Yale is not going to be the best choice for every single 0L, let alone every single admitted applicant.
No shit. You mean full tuition at Harvard is a better choice than Yale at sticker?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm

slsorhls wrote:
There is nothing higher than the top of the mountain. Yale is better, bro. Sorry.
This is precisely the ridiculous TLS talk that my post is directed against. And it probably mostly comes from the rankings or something like that. Yale is not going to be the best choice for every single 0L, let alone every single admitted applicant.
I'll go further to suggest that Yale is not objectively the best choice. Every time they produce shitty numbers TLS simply blames it on self-selection.

Lawyers/Judges rank Harvard higher. Hell, even Leiter concedes at the very top Harvard is the best Law School period.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm

flcath wrote:What a bizarre OP.

It's either well-executed, slow-burning flame, or [and this is what I like to imagine it is] some weird little dude who spent hours upon hours scouring the internet for some strange sort of anti-Yale validation.
My vote is also for the latter.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
kaiser wrote:There is nothing higher than the top of the mountain. Yale is better, bro. Sorry.
Who made Yale the top of the mountain? USNWR?
Nature. Its easy to look around and pick out what is the "best" so and so. Its a lot harder to rank things past that. UsNews reflects that.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Yale is best for anything in the world, period.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Samara wrote: Yale still places the best in meaningful employment metrics.
We eagerly await your source(s) for the above, with rapt attention.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chiwachiwa

New

Post by chiwachiwa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:21 pm

slsorhls wrote:
Maybe they don't OCI at Yale because they used to and found out that Yale students rarely chose them. How is your example proof of anything?
That's exactly what I said! I pointed that out earlier. It's not because they think Yale students are subpar.

The example is proof that as a Yale student, if you want to work at Fenwick and maybe other less-mainstream options, you may have to go to somewhat greater lengths than someone at Harvard, for instance. AGAIN, this is a simple, obvious advantage of going to a larger law school.

Apparently, insofar as it goes against mainstream, deeply-embedded 'rankings above all else, Yale best in the universe, period' TLS ideas, it invites a lot of negative feedback.
El Paso, Texas Public Defender goes to OCI at Texas Tech, but not at Yale. For anyone who is interested in "less-mainstream options" like this, Yale is clearly the wrong choice.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
There's plenty of threads on this and I'm on my phone. Any differences between Yale, Harvard and Stanford are trivial anyway. I'm not interested in splitting hairs like this.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:24 pm

slsorhls wrote: The difference between Stanford, Yale, and Harvard here is probably minimal. But the point is that the claim that Yale is the best for anything in the universe is an exaggeration. Obviously, things are more complicated.
I don't know if this is a joke but outside TLS and arguably academia in the US, Yale is safely behind Harvard where it belongs.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:26 pm

Samara wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
There's plenty of threads on this and I'm on my phone. Any differences between Yale, Harvard and Stanford are trivial anyway. I'm not interested in splitting hairs like this.
This is like the standard argument from evangelicals who direct you to a quotation in the Bible every time you challenge their beliefs.

Give me a credible source independent of a TLS thread or a thread with the relevant links.

I do however agree that the differences are trivial and not worth splitting hairs over.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Gail wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
kaiser wrote:There is nothing higher than the top of the mountain. Yale is better, bro. Sorry.
The judicial branch.

and God.
Actually both made HLS number one. Yale is equal to or less than Harvard in both regards, not vice versa. Unless of course you want to argue the current composition of the Supreme court favors Harvard due to size.

AttaBoy

New

Post by AttaBoy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
slsorhls wrote: The difference between Stanford, Yale, and Harvard here is probably minimal. But the point is that the claim that Yale is the best for anything in the universe is an exaggeration. Obviously, things are more complicated.
I don't know if this is a joke but outside TLS and arguably academia in the US, Yale is safely behind Harvard where it belongs.
I understand that this whole thing is probably just a flame, but considering it took me five minutes to google this information, here you go:

2.5x SCOTUS placement per capita (http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... ment.shtml)
3x Academia placement rate per capita (http://leiterrankings.com/new/2011_LawTeachers.shtml)
2x AIII clerkship placement per capita (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=75513)

AttaBoy

New

Post by AttaBoy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Gail wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
The judicial branch.

and God.
Actually both made HLS number one. Yale is equal to or less than Harvard in both regards, not vice versa. Unless of course you want to argue the current composition of the Supreme court favors Harvard due to size.
First of all, this is the stupidest metric in the world. Second of all: 5 HLS judges and 3 YLS. You're pretty dumb if you don't understand why that favors Yale.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:36 pm

AttaBoy wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
I understand that this whole thing is probably just a flame, but considering it took me five minutes to google this information, here you go:

2.5x SCOTUS placement per capita (http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... ment.shtml)
3x Academia placement rate per capita (http://leiterrankings.com/new/2011_LawTeachers.shtml)
2x AIII clerkship placement per capita (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=75513)
Damn. Dat placement percentage.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 pm

AttaBoy wrote:First of all, this is the stupidest metric in the world. Second of all: 5 HLS judges and 2 YLS. You're pretty dumb if you don't understand why that favors Yale.
Why is it dumb? There can only be 9 judges. Do you understand the implications of this as it relates to per capita and class size if you decide to conveniently use that as the yardstick?

Also, there are more stupid metrics (none less stupid than the USNWR rankings, mind you). I could have - for example - assured you your next president will be an HLS grad. That would have been true and stupid but no less stupid than the rankings.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Yale punked everyone in one metric once:

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ement.html

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Harvard, Yale and Stanford are solid choices for law school. The end.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Lol never in my life did I think I could rile up a Harvard student (or prospective Harvard student) on the basis of academic inadequacy. In all honesty, I don't see the big difference between Yale and Harvard, but the fact that people could get that insecure and defensive about it is sort of depressing. Guess thats what happens when a kid is told he is the best at every step of his life, and then a group of internet folks start saying he is second best. It would be a shock to his system.
Last edited by kaiser on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 pm

AttaBoy wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Why are you showing me a Leiter ranking that has Harvard as number one by total numbers? Ask yourself how Harvard is able to stay at the very top or at the very least compete with a class size over 2 times the size of Yale's class.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Yale punked everyone in one metric once:

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ement.html
That's the thing...46.1% of a 550 class is 246 (rounded). 55.8% of a class of around 200 is roughly 112 (rounded). The former is over twice the latter, why don't people understand the implications of using per capita as a metric when considering a limited number of opportunities?

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:59 pm

slsorhls wrote:
But the reality is that people know Yale is narrowly focused and small.
What is this bullshit you keep blabbering? If anything, HLS grads are "narrowly focused" on BigLaw. Yale places a higher percentage of its grads in every other category of employment.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:00 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
AttaBoy wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Why are you showing me a Leiter ranking that has Harvard as number one by total numbers? Ask yourself how Harvard is able to stay at the very top or at the very least compete with a class size over 2 times the size of Yale's class.
U of Chicago is better than both. Ask taipei mort.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”