The Truth About Yale Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: The Truth About Yale

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Geneva wrote:
slsorhls wrote:Yale has students who strike out at OCI. Yale has disenchanted, upset students. I could list a lot more.
Could you? Please do. This is the first I've heard about YLS students that struck out at OCI.
A riveting thread started by an insightful poster on a groundbreaking, important issue, subsequently necro'd by compelling necessity.

slsorhls

New

Post by slsorhls » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Geneva wrote:
Geneva wrote:
slsorhls wrote:Yale has students who strike out at OCI. Yale has disenchanted, upset students. I could list a lot more.
Could you? Please do. This is the first I've heard about YLS students that struck out at OCI.
I actually wanted to see if slsorhls could back up his/her claim. Still waiting...

(Am thrilled about SLS, but want to fully examine all the pros and cons of potential schools because law school is a big investment. I want to figure out my personal preferences re:HYS so that I have a decision ready in the event that 1) I get into H, 2) I get off Y's wait list.)
Yes, I've spoken to a Yale student about this. No school is in a world apart such that employers hire blindly. Their offer rate isn't 100% and that's probably impossible.

And public interest jobs are hard for everyone.

Dale

New

Post by Dale » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:26 pm

What I have never seen on TLS is a Yale student whining because they could not find employment. I’ve read where some CCN and PBV 2L-L3Ls claim they were still looking, but never someone from Yale. The worst I have ever read about Yale is that someone claimed that he/she knew of a Yale grad doing doc review. . . no idea of it was true or not.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:36 pm

OP has unearthed the cold, hard truth folks: Yale is a rancid, festering TTT in decline, and reputable employers such as Fenwick are running away from Yale in DROVES.

AttaBoy

New

Post by AttaBoy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Twit

New

Post by Twit » Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Samara wrote:
soj wrote:I can't wait to see slsorhls and TaipeiMort debate.
Somebody throw up the maroonsignal. Maybe if we start talking about how Chicago doesn't even have the highest biglaw placement in its own namesake city. Man, what a TTT.
+1.

Somebody get TaipeiMort.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm

I can't believe this thread is still alive lol

mathrev

New

Post by mathrev » Tue May 01, 2012 8:20 pm

So I was fortunate enough to attend the last YLS ASW and it was mentioned that the 4 students seeking jobs but were unemployed were all having personal issues. For example, I think it's excusable that a Yale student who was diagnosed with cancer can't get a job because he/she is too sick to get one....

I just want to add to the argument that those seeking corporate jobs might be better off going to Yale. Given that most Yalies go to PI or Academia, there is less competition for corporate jobs at Yale. At Harvard a clear majority wants to do corporate, and it appears to be a much more competitive environment.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Twit wrote:
Samara wrote:
soj wrote:I can't wait to see slsorhls and TaipeiMort debate.
Somebody throw up the maroonsignal. Maybe if we start talking about how Chicago doesn't even have the highest biglaw placement in its own namesake city. Man, what a TTT.
+1.

Somebody get TaipeiMort.
Harvard has everyone visit because it has a bigger class and a larger pool of top-end students than any other school. Firms like Fenwick don't go to Yale's OCI because they know there are only 10 VC-focused people, who will all be gobbled up by WSGR and Cooley, and maybe Gunderson. The Yale class probably can't sustain a third or fourth VC firm.

Also, something important to mention is that unlike the other T6 and Penn, NU, and Berkeley, Yale doesn't really have a huge number going into business/small transactions work. The group going into Yale isn't skilled or tailored to go into this type of law (background in business or tech). They are generally going into lit, big deals, academia, policy think tanks, management consulting, etc. This means that you wont see as many tax, HR/Benefit, VC, PE, etc. firms at Yale's OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”