Opinions on which school is best?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jaeger

Re: Opinions on which school is best?

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:12 am

I typed out a big long post about why you should maybe not go to law school but my computer crashed so here's the TL;DR version:

--LinkRemoved--

Don't go to law school or retake.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 am

JasonR wrote:Studying up and retaking is the only intelligent option you have. None of those schools are worth anything close to what you'll pay for them. Your odds of failing to find good work and being financially ruined by crushing debt are very high with any of those schools.

I agree with this with two caveats:

1) if OP negotiated a scholly, some might be worth it
2) if OP is still considered an OK resident, then tuition there is less than $20K.... if OP lives with family/friends, given the low cost of living, it might be worth it. Shame there are three law schools in that state, but I bet U of O probably dominates the legal market there. If OP wants small-law, OP might do ok.

ETA: checked out LST for U of O.... looks like only 60% of grads had full time JD required employment at 9 months. Possibly not worth taking out even $60K in loans for. Personally I won't take out more than $60K of loans unless I have a number above 70% for full time JD required jobs.

JVN30

Postby JVN30 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:25 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:What's your GPA/LSAT? Any reason why retake is not an option?

3.17 and 155...The reason retaking is not an option is I'm 2 years out of undergrad and would like to start towards my career...My goal is to work in a sports agency or to work in the sports legal field which is why Marquette is a very attractive choice. Oklahoma is very attractive due to its low costs and it has a good reputation in energy law which interests me as well, not to mention OKC has some major energy companies such as Devon, Chesapeak, and Sandridge where I have contacts.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 am

JVN30 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:What's your GPA/LSAT? Any reason why retake is not an option?

3.17 and 155...The reason retaking is not an option is I'm 2 years out of undergrad and would like to start towards my career...My goal is to work in a sports agency or to work in the sports legal field which is why Marquette is a very attractive choice. Oklahoma is very attractive due to its low costs and it has a good reputation in energy law which interests me as well, not to mention OKC has some major energy companies such as Devon, Chesapeak, and Sandridge where I have contacts.

OMG... you mean you would have to be 26 instead of 25 when you started lawl school??? Well that definitely justifies throwing away $80,000 to $150,000 dollars of your money on a 60-40 shot of actually having the career you want.

Alternatively, you could effing retake in June, or even wait a year and do so in October. Heck, if you do better in June you might get off some waitlists or even get some $$$ and go this year. 155 means you can almost certainly break 160 with practice.

ETA: Also, sports law is a very small field. Just FYI. Energy law might be a better choice.

ETAx2... wait, you are from OK... any chance you are Native American? Because if so, you underperformed your numbers.
Last edited by spleenworship on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 am

JVN30 wrote:

3.17 and 155...The reason retaking is not an option is I'm 2 years out of undergrad and would like to start towards my career...

No, the reason retaking is not an option is because you're being foolish and hardheaded. Not saying your 3.17 is gonna take you places but if you studied your butt off you could potentially crack T14 or at least get a lot better deals at these crap schools.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:43 am

Out of your list I can only really comment on St. Louis as I am originally from Missouri. SLU is actually a solid choice IF you want to work in St. Louis! A lot of st Louis firms see wustl as flight risks and slu has grads literally everywhere in that city. However, I would not go there if you don't have connections there or are not from there. I would also not go there unless you can substantially minimize debt.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:41 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:44 am

chiwachiwa wrote:Don't go to any of these schools. If you must, go where you get scholarship money.

Syracuse and Marquette are both great schools, but don't go unless they give you money. Barring some market-specific reason for attending (and scholarship $$$), forget the others.
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:46 am

PDaddy wrote:
chiwachiwa wrote:Don't go to any of these schools. If you must, go where you get scholarship money.

Syracuse and Marquette are both great schools but not great law schools, but don't go unless they give you a scholly. Forget the others.

FTFY.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:47 am

JVN30 wrote:

Sports law is almost non-existent unless you get into a biglaw firm that works for teams or leagues OR you used to be a college or pro athlete. It's on the same level of ridiculousness as international and constitutional law for career prospects.

Energy is a much better plan, but I'm not sure those are jobs you can get right out of law school. It seems like you need a few years or biglaw or working for a regulator before companies will hire in house. If so OK will probably not get you into a firm with a good energy practice. I would call up your contacts and ask them about the last few lawyers their company has hired- how many years out, where did they go to school, where did they work before?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50 am

Jaeger wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Syracuse and Marquette are both great schools but not great law schools, but don't go unless they give you a scholly. Forget the others.

FTFY.

No...they are great law schools, just not so great for jobs in this economy. OP will get a good education. The profs at both schools are amazing, as are their clinics and externships. I am assuming that OP really doesn't want to retake, which would be my first advice. And I have said that he should not go w/o scholarship money.

BTW...FTFY!

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:14 am

PDaddy wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

FTFY.

No...they are great law schools, just not so great for jobs in this economy. OP will get a good education. The profs at both schools are amazing, as are their clinics and externships. I am assuming that OP really doesn't want to retake, which would be my first advice. And I have said that he should not go w/o scholarship money.

BTW...FTFY!

If they're not great for jobs they're not great law schools. Nobody cares about the other ish if they're unemployed.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 am

Scottie2Hottie wrote:
chiwachiwa wrote:
Scottie2Hottie wrote:I know, personally, people from syracuse doing well, as well as, RU-N that do well in North Jersey/New York. Plus- you can get RU-N in state scholly all 3 years bc it is almost as easy as saying you live in NJ to admissions face-to-face

Define "doing well"

Know a Syracuse alum working lit boutique in DC and another who owns his own practice with multiple offices. Also, 3 RU-N grads, one is "Biglaw" and the other 2 work for small firms with average salary, but with instate tuition not a bad deal. Of course they could be lucky (idk where they finished). Any where you go you need to do well, bottom line, if you do well enough at most regional schools and keep your debt low as possible you should be alright.

Don't take anecdotal evidence as evidence of anything concrete. If you want to work in NJ (which I've said before, isn't as awful as TV makes it out to be), I'd say Rutgers. You can get in-state tuition by signing a 12 month lease I believe, though I'd still say retake and get more money.

checkster

Postby checkster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 am

So much bad advice in this thread.

I'm from near STL, looked at SLU for a bit. DO NOT come to SLU without significant ties / a LOT of money on the table. Its a good school, better than its current TTT status, but that doesn't matter because of how crazy tough it is to get a job in STL as an outsider. People on other TLS threads (Romo is a good example) will attest to how tough it is to break into this market. If you get a LOT of money, than maybe you can consider it, but this does not seem to be the case. I have ties, got 20k from them, and immediately crossed it off of my list.

If you are considering paying near sticker for Marquette because of their "Sports Law Program," do some more research. They will not get you "agency work." Also, Milwaukee can be a tough city to break into, but probably not on the same level as STL at least. If you get substantial money, Marquette can be an ok option if you can show that you want to stay in Wisconsin...and if you actually want to do that.

OU sounds like your best option, but if you are paying OOS, that's pretty rough. I wouldn't go anywhere near your other options.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 am

ou bro

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:00 pm

[quote="checkster"]So much bad advice in this thread.

I'm from near STL, looked at SLU for a bit. DO NOT come to SLU without significant ties / a LOT of money on the table. Its a good school, better than its current TTT status, but that doesn't matter because of how crazy tough it is to get a job in STL as an outsider. People on other TLS threads (Romo is a good example) will attest to how tough it is to break into this market. If you get a LOT of money, than maybe you can consider it, but this does not seem to be the case. I have ties, got 20k from them, and immediately crossed it off of my list.

This is pretty much exactly what I said. I looked at romo, looks like he goes to wustl. I have had numerous wustl people in person tell me a lot of firms see them as flight risks to places like Chicago. Wustl gt even harder to get st louis job if no local ties. However, there are Lots of alumni from slu in st Louis. They dont see them as much as a risk because somebody from sluisnt exactly gettinga job outside the city. Hence why I said you could go if have money and ties and would be happy with region.

All said op, get into a t14 OR figure out what you want out of your degree and go to the region you are happy building a career with money. I would suggest not relocating from where you have significant ties either.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:40 pm

JVN30 wrote:

3.17 and 155...The reason retaking is not an option is I'm 2 years out of undergrad and would like to start towards my career.

That's a terrible reason. One year doesn't mean shit. Just a few more points on this test would be the difference between going to one of these lesser schools for free or being likely financially ruined by crushing debt as you struggle to find a decent job. If you really busted your ass, and got, say, a 168, you could go to a much better school for free, and you'd have options in the T25/T30. With a 168, you're basically a lock at WUSTL.

If you want to go to law school, there's only one thing you can do to radically change your career and earnings potential at this point, and that is to retake the LSAT. Otherwise, you're just hurrying up to fall on your face.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”