BU ($60k) v. GW ($75K) v. UT (sticker) v. Notre Dame ($75k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sprezz40

BU ($60k) v. GW ($75K) v. UT (sticker) v. Notre Dame ($75k)

Postby sprezz40 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Basically, the above. I was also accepted to WUSTL with $$ and am on the waitlist at Duke and GULC. I want to practice a niche area of the law, and Boston and DC with their proximity to cultural and government institutions are where I want to be. I went to a top undergrad and I wonder if I should retake the LSAT next year and aim for $$ at T14 schools. I have been out of school and am more than ready to dive into law school. My "gut" says GW and every alum I have talked to is happy with their choice and has a job doing what they want to do - whether in DC or not. However, I've also read some negative stuff on GW v. GULC on this forum. Any other alums or current students want to chime in? Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated.

bk1

Re: BU ($60k) v. GW ($75K) v. UT (sticker) v. Notre Dame ($75k)

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:02 pm

sprezz40 wrote:I wonder if I should retake the LSAT next year and aim for $$ at T14 schools.

GW is going to cost you 170k in debt even after that scholarship once you factor interest at graduation. BU would be 135k. If you had to take something I'd take BU but that's still 20k+ more than I'd want to spend on BU. But really you would be best off by retaking the LSAT and getting more money at better schools.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:36 pm

sprezz40 wrote:I want to practice a niche area of the law

Does one of these cities provide better access to the "niche area" so that you can intern in those orgs during law school? Your law school choices are in very different geographies.

sprezz40

Postby sprezz40 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Boston and DC do. GW is close to places like the Smithsonian and I have contacts in Boston. Hence, very torn. Given the niche field, I'm going to have to be open to various jobs. I may end up in a big law firm with an art law team, or in a public interest job. Hence my hesitancy at taking on a lot of debt. I know I want to go to law school the question is just is this fiscally and educationally wise to go now with these offers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”