UCLA, Cornell, GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school is best?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 pm

UCLA w/ 17.5k year (OOS)
19%
Cornell (???)
69%
GW Law w/ 20k per year
13%

Total votes: 16

bobloblawlawblog89

UCLA, Cornell, GW

Postby bobloblawlawblog89 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Long-time lurker, first time poster - thought I would consult the collective wisdom of TLS. I am trying to choose between schools now. As of now, I am choosing between UCLA with 17.5k a year (2.5 GPA stip), GW with 20k a year (no stip listed), and Cornell. Cornell hasn't sent me a financial aid package yet. Some facts and preferences are outlined below:

1) Went to undergraduate school in the South
2) I have been working for a fairly large DC firm since August (graduated in May)
3) I am pursuing biglaw (see location preferences below), with clerkships being an option if my grades allow for it
3) I would like to work in DC after law school, but I don't want to seriously sacrifice overall job prospects

FYI, I am waitlisted at Georgetown (preferred), UVA, Columbia, and Michigan. I am riding out the WL at each of these places. Other than that, my cycle is complete. I appreciate any advice!
Last edited by bobloblawlawblog89 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Br3v

Re: UCLA, Cornell, GW

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:16 pm

bobloblawlawblog89 wrote:Long-time lurker, first time poster. Thought I would consult the collective wisdom of TLS. Trying to choose between schools now. As of now, I am choosing between UCLA with 17.5k a year (2.5 GPA stip), GW with 20k a year at GW(no stip listed, and Cornell. Cornell hasn't sent me a financial aid package yet. Some facts and preferences are outlined below:

1) Went to undergraduate school in the South
2) I have been working for a fairly large DC since August (graduated in May)
3) I am pursuing biglaw (see location preferences below), with clerkships being an option of my grades allow for it
3) I would like to work in DC after law school, but I don't want to seriously sacrifice overall job prospects

FYI, I am waitlisted at Georgetown (preferred), UVA, Columbia, and Michigan. Other than that, my cycle is complete. I appreciate any advice!

If want DC after grad I would think GW though I'm
Not sure how well they place in city considering it's a hard market to break and GULC

bobloblawlawblog89

Postby bobloblawlawblog89 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the opinion! You pointed out one of my main concerns. The competitiveness of the DC market is a big reason why I am considering school's outside of the area. I have looked at a handful of DC firms' attorney directories, and its not completely uncommon for Cornell grads to be listed.

bobloblawlawblog89

Postby bobloblawlawblog89 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 am

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 am

If your first preference is Biglaw and second is location, I'd go with Cornell. Hopefully the waitlists treat you well.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:47 am

Br3v wrote:f want DC after grad I would think GW though I'm
Not sure how well they place in city considering it's a hard market to break and GULC

I wouldn't risk GW just because it is located in DC.

We place about 20% in BigLaw at graduation (although total employment rates are really good, well above 90%). That composition is a mix of Top 10-15% or Top 1/3 + work experience. (see numbers here http://www.law.gwu.edu/Careers/prospect ... stics.aspx)

GW is a possible route to BigLaw, but go with a more certain horse for this race and bet on Cornell.

bobloblawlawblog89

Postby bobloblawlawblog89 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 pm

@Tiago: I am doing my best with getting in off the waitlists with LOCIs, etc. I agree, though - any admission via waitlist would be clutch.

@monkey85: Thanks for that link - it was very helpful. I take it you went/are going to GW now?

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

If Biglaw is your goal then stick with Cornell unless you get off the waitlist at Columbia. If you want DC then GULC would be your best bet if you get off the WL, but like you said, even Cornell grads can end up in DC. However, Cornell is known for biglaw placement in NYC, and if you go there you will have a very good chance of getting biglaw, just don't be in the bottom of your class.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”