USC ($$$$) v Cornell/UCLA ($$$) v Michigan ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC ($$$$) v UCLA ($$$) v Michigan ($$)

USC (w/ 40k/year)
19%
Cornell (w/ 30k/year)
42%
UCLA (w/ 30k/year)
11%
Michigan (w/ 18k/year)
28%

Total votes: 36

moneybagsphd

Re: USC ($$$$) v Cornell/UCLA ($$$) v Michigan ($$)

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:47 pm

bump to include Cornell scholly.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:56 pm

I actually think the Cornell money changes the game and makes it the new front-runner.

All of these options can get you back to California so you've gotta factor in personal preference. All else being equal, Cornell looks to be the most cost beneficial.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm

woeisme wrote:I actually think the Cornell money changes the game and makes it the new front-runner.

All of these options can get you back to California so you've gotta factor in personal preference. All else being equal, Cornell looks to be the most cost beneficial.

I'm not so sure. OP wants both reasonable hours and 6 figure pay. Not that that is ever true in biglaw but it seems to be decidedly less true in NYC compared to CA. I don't see a good reason to take Cornell over USC/UCLA when OP probably would never take a NYC firm.

It's not an easy decision, but I don't think the prestige of Cornell has any value to OP who would never take anything that that prestige can get.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 pm

woeisme wrote:I actually think the Cornell money changes the game and makes it the new front-runner.

Interesting. When I saw the award today, I wasn't sure if it was a "game changer" although I definitely recognized that it's competitive. After speaking with family/friends today, they also seem to feel that this offer is the new front runner. But I still have a few reservations (in order of importance).
1. Tuition at Cornell is more expensive. So I'm looking at paying 30k/year at Michigan and 25k/year at Cornell, which is about 15k-20k difference. Is this "game changing"?
2. I haven't had a chance to visit Cornell/Ithaca yet. Should I bite the bullet without visiting? I guess I could schedule a last minute trip, but I've been spending so much on travel lately that I'm hesitant.
3. Graded LRW section at Cornell vs. Ungraded LRW section at Michigan. I have also heard that the environment at Cornell is generally more competitive. Any truth to this?
4. I don't like the moral proviso attached to my Cornell scholarship-- "there is a moral obligation to repay the law school if future financial circumstances permit."

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:19 pm

1) Michigan
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Cornell

P.S. Have you visited Michigan and/or Cornell ? If not, try to visit while classes are in session.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:26 pm

I'd probably go Michigan because it would give you a "national" degree and your ties will get you back to CA. Good choices all around though,congrats.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:1) Michigan
2) UCLA
3) USC
4) Cornell

P.S. Have you visited Michigan and/or Cornell ? If not, try to visit while classes are in session.

I went to Michigan's ASW and loved it (not sure about Ann Arbor itself, but I had a great experience at the school). I haven't had a chance to visit Cornell.
Any reason you put UCLA above USC, out of curiosity?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Better part of town. Better national reputation, in my opinion. It really comes down to personal preference, however.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:1. Tuition at Cornell is more expensive. So I'm looking at paying 30k/year at Michigan and 25k/year at Cornell, which is about 15k-20k difference. Is this "game changing"?

Well yes and no. If you have a real preference for Michigan, then it's up to you if that preference is worth 15k-20k. To me it's definitely not, but to you it might be.

moneybagsphd wrote: I haven't had a chance to visit Cornell/Ithaca yet. Should I bite the bullet without visiting? I guess I could schedule a last minute trip, but I've been spending so much on travel lately that I'm hesitant.

I'm not sure. Some people love Ithaca, others really dislike it. It's a little college town with lots of art and gorges and waterfalls. It's not urban. Not sure what to advise about attending without visiting. I went to Cornell and I know that a number of my classmates had chosen to attend without visiting first. So, I mean, it's not unheard of. Note sure what to advise.

moneybagsphd wrote:3. Graded LRW section at Cornell vs. Ungraded LRW section at Michigan. I have also heard that the environment at Cornell is generally more competitive. Any truth to this?

Truth to the graded LRW, yes. Not sure if that's a basis for deciding on a law school though since, in any event, you're going to have to be doing the work. Truth to the more competitive environment at Cornell? I haven't attended another law school so it'd speculative for me to say, but I'd highly, highly doubt it. Law school is inherently competitive insofar as most people want to do well. But I found the Cornell student body to be extremely supportive and conscientious. Everyone shares notes, etc.

moneybagsphd wrote:4. I don't like the moral proviso attached to my Cornell scholarship-- "there is a moral obligation to repay the law school if future financial circumstances permit."

That's kinda weird. It sounds pretty unenforceable and silly to me though. I wouldn't get hung up on it.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Better part of town. Better national reputation, in my opinion. It really comes down to personal preference, however.

Hm. I wasn't really impressed by UCLA when I visited. I thought their ASW lacked substantive information about the law school. I'm going to USC's law day tomorrow, so we'll see how they stack up.

woeisme wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:1. Tuition at Cornell is more expensive. So I'm looking at paying 30k/year at Michigan and 25k/year at Cornell, which is about 15k-20k difference. Is this "game changing"?

Well yes and no. If you have a real preference for Michigan, then it's up to you if that preference is worth 15k-20k. To me it's definitely not, but to you it might be.

moneybagsphd wrote: I haven't had a chance to visit Cornell/Ithaca yet. Should I bite the bullet without visiting? I guess I could schedule a last minute trip, but I've been spending so much on travel lately that I'm hesitant.

I'm not sure. Some people love Ithaca, others really dislike it. It's a little college town with lots of art and gorges and waterfalls. It's not urban. Not sure what to advise about attending without visiting. I went to Cornell and I know that a number of my classmates had chosen to attend without visiting first. So, I mean, it's not unheard of. Note sure what to advise.

moneybagsphd wrote:3. Graded LRW section at Cornell vs. Ungraded LRW section at Michigan. I have also heard that the environment at Cornell is generally more competitive. Any truth to this?

Truth to the graded LRW, yes. Not sure if that's a basis for deciding on a law school though since, in any event, you're going to have to be doing the work. Truth to the more competitive environment at Cornell? I haven't attended another law school so it'd speculative for me to say, but I'd highly, highly doubt it. Law school is inherently competitive insofar as most people want to do well. But I found the Cornell student body to be extremely supportive and conscientious. Everyone shares notes, etc.

moneybagsphd wrote:4. I don't like the moral proviso attached to my Cornell scholarship-- "there is a moral obligation to repay the law school if future financial circumstances permit."

That's kinda weird. It sounds pretty unenforceable and silly to me though. I wouldn't get hung up on it.

Thanks. This is all really useful advice. I'm gonna look into booking a last minute trip to Cornell.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”