Rutgers ($$$) vs William & Mary Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
midatlantic88

New

Rutgers ($$$) vs William & Mary

Post by midatlantic88 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:46 pm

So I've followed this forum for a while and found the advice useful and insightful, but I only recently got an account so I could ask this question. I've narrowed my choices down to two: Rutgers - Newark with a $10k per year scholarship an in-state tuition, or William & Mary at sticker. I think I can get in-state tuition at W&M, since I've lived in Virginia for the last year while attending school.

I'm interested in criminal law, particularly prosecution. I wouldn't mind living in either DC or NJ, but I have more ties to the NJ legal market than the DC market. Does the lower cost of attending Rutgers outweigh the enhanced career prospects of W&M?

Also, my understanding is that Rutgers is well-respected in the NJ area. Given that, which degree would give me a better shot of landing a job in NJ? Or even NYC?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Rutgers ($$$) vs William & Mary

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:53 pm

DC doesn't really need ties, but it would be tough to get a job there based on all the competition.

If you really want NJ, I'd say Rutgers. Even at in-state sticker, W&M is still going to put you almost 150k in debt at graduation.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:24 am

Without a compelling reason for W&M, the price difference is not worth it

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 am

midatlantic88 wrote:So I've followed this forum for a while and found the advice useful and insightful, but I only recently got an account so I could ask this question. I've narrowed my choices down to two: Rutgers - Newark with a $10k per year scholarship an in-state tuition, or William & Mary at sticker. I think I can get in-state tuition at W&M, since I've lived in Virginia for the last year while attending school.

I'm interested in criminal law, particularly prosecution. I wouldn't mind living in either DC or NJ, but I have more ties to the NJ legal market than the DC market. Does the lower cost of attending Rutgers outweigh the enhanced career prospects of W&M?

Also, my understanding is that Rutgers is well-respected in the NJ area. Given that, which degree would give me a better shot of landing a job in NJ? Or even NYC?
You're definitely going to want to check on the VA residency. I'm pretty sure you have to show you were living in VA for reasons other than going to school.

mrslaw2014

New

Post by mrslaw2014 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm a current W&M student and have a cousin at Rutgers. The job market is tough everywhere. Rutgers is in a tough spot and there is a lot of competition and its ranking doesn't help. That being said, W&M's rankings don't help much either. The schools does really well in the eastern VA and Richmond markets. We also make a strong showing in DC (a large percentage of our graduates end up in the DC area), but like others said, there is a lot of competition. If you want to be in NJ, go to Rutgers. Williamsburg and New Jersey have about nothing in common. If you are really stuck, I really recommend visiting W&M.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I would say RU-N pretty easily here. Undoubtedly better for NJ, and I'm not sure either school does well enough in DC to allow that to factor in. If you're really indifferent between NJ and DC, go to Rutgers and save money.

midatlantic88

New

Post by midatlantic88 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”