Loyola Chicago v. Case (both $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
puremorning

Loyola Chicago v. Case (both $)

Postby puremorning » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:07 pm

These schools have practically identical stats, but one is in Chicago and one is in Cleveland. Yet I am currently in Cleveland and have connections here whereas Chicago I have fewer. They would both cost me about the same to attend, and I'm going into public interest/government work so I plan to have my loans covered by LRAPs and the federal loan forgiveness program. That being said, anyone familiar with these schools want to offer up opinions? Please don't give me any pretentious responses like "don't go to law school unless it's T10."

magicbunny

Re: Loyola Chicago v. Case (both $)

Postby magicbunny » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:16 pm

personally I like Case better because there's less competition in the area. You'll only be facing some OSU kids in the job market and Case is a school with solid reputation. Chicago is way too crowded with T14 and midwest T30 people plus Kent/Depaul/whatever...

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:17 pm

magicbunny wrote:personally I like Case better because there's less competition in the area. You'll only be facing some OSU kids in the job market and Case is a school with solid reputation. Chicago is way too crowded with T14 and midwest T30 people plus Kent/Depaul/whatever...

True, that's been my main concern this whole time. I got burned by the job market when I graduated undergrad, so that's seriously my #1 fear right now.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:19 pm

If those are the only two options then Case easily (assuming you dont mind staying in Cleveland after graduation). LUC is a bloodbath right now.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:30 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If those are the only two options then Case easily (assuming you dont mind staying in Cleveland after graduation). LUC is a bloodbath right now.

Good to know! I'll be 28 by the time I graduate so it'll be settling down time, and Cleveland is a good place for that.

checkster

Postby checkster » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 pm

I was looking at these two as well for a while. With strong Cleveland ties I think Case is easily your better choice.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:23 pm

why are you considering LUC if you are from / want to work in cleveland? And have you looked into Case's LRAP? Don't take out a lot of debt at either of these schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Both are bad options, but Case is less so if you can go for cheap and are from Cleveland. Keep your debt low (biglaw odds are low) and hustle your ass off.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:Both are bad options, but Case is less so if you can go for cheap and are from Cleveland. Keep your debt low (biglaw odds are low) and hustle your ass off.

Yeah, I have no interest in biglaw...note the above "I'm going into public interest/government work"

Return to “Choosing a Law School”