Is a BS degree in chemistry adequate for patent law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
magicbunny

Is a BS degree in chemistry adequate for patent law?

Postby magicbunny » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:07 pm

So when people are talking about IP they usually talk about people with a phd in science... I'll start law school straight out of undergrad, major in chemistry with some good research experience (health-related governmental organization research internship and conference experience). Could this background give me an IP boost in job searching? I'm doing pharmaceutical research for senior thesis and have no problem reading patent documents.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be at Notre Dame in fall w/ half tuition scholly -- though the school isn't famous for IP, Indiana and nearby states seem to have a vast pharmaceutical industry presence, and I have ties to this region. Just to make sure that I made the best decision possible.

RobotGardener

Re: Is a BS degree in chemistry adequate for patent law?

Postby RobotGardener » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:10 pm

magicbunny wrote:So when people are talking about IP they usually talk about people with a phd in science... I'll start law school straight out of undergrad, major in chemistry with some good research experience (health-related governmental organization research internship and conference experience). Could this background give me an IP boost in job searching? I'm doing pharmaceutical research for senior thesis and have no problem reading patent documents.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be at Notre Dame in fall w/ half tuition scholly -- though the school isn't famous for IP, Indiana and nearby states seem to have a vast pharmaceutical industry presence, and I have ties to this region. Just to make sure that I made the best decision possible.

The answer is yes sometimes but probably not in your case.

A real IP boost comes at the higher ranked schools. Even there the boost is felt the most by people with engineering degrees and PHDs and to a lesser extent masters degrees. I have limited knowledge of the boost outside of the T14 but my understanding is that you can still get one if you market yourself correctly and have a PHD, computer science, or engineering background that is in demand.

I don't think it will help you much (it certainly wont hurt you though) at ND.

To put your self in the best position: pass the patent bar before you start school, market yourself to IP focused firms, go to a T14 if at all possible (especially Boalt and Stanford)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:36 pm

It is adequate, but consider that your competition for good jobs will generally have Masters in Chem. Engineering, or Chemistry, or Chemistry PhDs. I would recommend getting one of those if you want to be the most competitive. See if you can get a Fullbright and go to England or similar for a 1 year M.S.

ETA: I see you are already accepted to N.D. and thinking about going there. Can you get a Masters while there, as a dual degree? Or are you willing to go to school afterwards? You can probably get a job with just patent bar certification (that you should get this summer) but the more you do, the more competitive you will be.

magicbunny

Postby magicbunny » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Seems that ND does offer joint degrees, so I'll ask them about whether I can apply to graduate programs while attending law school at the same time. I would avoid doing a phd or master alone because I don't have a scientist personality at all, and chemistry is only one of my majors. I got it basically for...fun.

Thanks for your advice!

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:52 pm

What do you mean by 'Could this background give me an IP boost in job searching?'
I am sure you will be better off than non IP students at ND. Did i understand the question right?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”