UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mbkc03

UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:56 am

Hastings hasn't offered me any scholarships and I will probably only get around 5k in grants. USF has offered me 25k/yr. Just wondering whether it's best to consider the rankings of the schools or make my decision based on the $. I certainly don't want to be in debt 150k after graduating from Hastings NOR limit my employment prospects by going to #104 ranked USF Law (vs #44 ranked Hastings). Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

If more info helps, I am 100% set on Army JAG after getting out of school for at least one contract (4 yrs active duty). I do not plan on staying the Army for more than 8 years (if you guys were going to bring up PSLR that Hastings has) and hope to be highly presentable to law firms in San Francisco after my service. I'm going to be living at home with my parents who are graciously throwing down 10k this year and I will be ONLY taking out loans for tuition.

bernaldiaz

Re: UC Hastings (close to sticker $) vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:07 am

mbkc03 wrote:Hastings hasn't offered me any scholarships and I will probably only get around 5k in grants. USF has offered me 25k/yr. Just wondering whether it's best to consider the rankings of the schools or make my decision based on the $. I certainly don't want to be in debt 150k after graduating from Hastings NOR limit my employment prospects by going to #104 ranked USF Law (vs #44 ranked Hastings). Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

If more info helps, I am 100% set on Army JAG after getting out of school for at least one contract (4 yrs active duty). I do not plan on staying the Army for more than 8 years (if you guys were going to bring up PSLR that Hastings has) and hope to be highly presentable to law firms in San Francisco after my service. I'm going to be living at home with my parents who are graciously throwing down 10k this year and I will be ONLY taking out loans for tuition.

That's well and good, but I'd make sure to have a good back up plan, because it is very competitive.

ilovesf

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:10 am

mbkc03 wrote:Hastings hasn't offered me any scholarships and I will probably only get around 5k in grants. USF has offered me 25k/yr. Just wondering whether it's best to consider the rankings of the schools or make my decision based on the $. I certainly don't want to be in debt 150k after graduating from Hastings NOR limit my employment prospects by going to #104 ranked USF Law (vs #44 ranked Hastings). Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Did USF offer you 25/k for more than just the first year? I am asking because I think a lot of their scholarships are only for the first year and that makes a pretty big difference.

mbkc03

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:11 am

ilovesf wrote:

Did USF offer you 25/k for more than just the first year? I am asking because I think a lot of their scholarships are only for the first year and that makes a pretty big difference.

25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:16 am

mbkc03 wrote:25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

Do you know what % that is? like top 40% or so?

mbkc03

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:19 am

ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

Top 28%

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:20 am

mbkc03 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Top 28%

:shock: That's a really high stipulation. Have you tried negotiating with them to lower it? I think USF with 25k could be a fine option, but not with that stip.

mbkc03

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 am

ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Top 28%

:shock: That's a really high stipulation. Have you tried negotiating with them to lower it? I think USF with 25k could be a fine option, but not with that stip.

Hastings is/was my #1 school but my coworker who's a 11' Hastings grad is accruing 13k in interest this year. Hearing this brain f**ked me and I definitely do not want to be in his position come 2015.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 am

Same scholly at USF. I've tried negotiating down the stipulation but they won't budge, so I will be looking elsewhere. Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”