UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:56 am

Hastings hasn't offered me any scholarships and I will probably only get around 5k in grants. USF has offered me 25k/yr. Just wondering whether it's best to consider the rankings of the schools or make my decision based on the $. I certainly don't want to be in debt 150k after graduating from Hastings NOR limit my employment prospects by going to #104 ranked USF Law (vs #44 ranked Hastings). Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

If more info helps, I am 100% set on Army JAG after getting out of school for at least one contract (4 yrs active duty). I do not plan on staying the Army for more than 8 years (if you guys were going to bring up PSLR that Hastings has) and hope to be highly presentable to law firms in San Francisco after my service. I'm going to be living at home with my parents who are graciously throwing down 10k this year and I will be ONLY taking out loans for tuition.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: UC Hastings (close to sticker $) vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:07 am

mbkc03 wrote:Hastings hasn't offered me any scholarships and I will probably only get around 5k in grants. USF has offered me 25k/yr. Just wondering whether it's best to consider the rankings of the schools or make my decision based on the $. I certainly don't want to be in debt 150k after graduating from Hastings NOR limit my employment prospects by going to #104 ranked USF Law (vs #44 ranked Hastings). Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

If more info helps, I am 100% set on Army JAG after getting out of school for at least one contract (4 yrs active duty). I do not plan on staying the Army for more than 8 years (if you guys were going to bring up PSLR that Hastings has) and hope to be highly presentable to law firms in San Francisco after my service. I'm going to be living at home with my parents who are graciously throwing down 10k this year and I will be ONLY taking out loans for tuition.


That's well and good, but I'd make sure to have a good back up plan, because it is very competitive.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:10 am

mbkc03 wrote:Hastings hasn't offered me any scholarships and I will probably only get around 5k in grants. USF has offered me 25k/yr. Just wondering whether it's best to consider the rankings of the schools or make my decision based on the $. I certainly don't want to be in debt 150k after graduating from Hastings NOR limit my employment prospects by going to #104 ranked USF Law (vs #44 ranked Hastings). Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

If more info helps, I am 100% set on Army JAG after getting out of school for at least one contract (4 yrs active duty). I do not plan on staying the Army for more than 8 years (if you guys were going to bring up PSLR that Hastings has) and hope to be highly presentable to law firms in San Francisco after my service. I'm going to be living at home with my parents who are graciously throwing down 10k this year and I will be ONLY taking out loans for tuition.

Did USF offer you 25/k for more than just the first year? I am asking because I think a lot of their scholarships are only for the first year and that makes a pretty big difference.

mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:11 am

ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:Hastings hasn't offered me any scholarships and I will probably only get around 5k in grants. USF has offered me 25k/yr. Just wondering whether it's best to consider the rankings of the schools or make my decision based on the $. I certainly don't want to be in debt 150k after graduating from Hastings NOR limit my employment prospects by going to #104 ranked USF Law (vs #44 ranked Hastings). Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

If more info helps, I am 100% set on Army JAG after getting out of school for at least one contract (4 yrs active duty). I do not plan on staying the Army for more than 8 years (if you guys were going to bring up PSLR that Hastings has) and hope to be highly presentable to law firms in San Francisco after my service. I'm going to be living at home with my parents who are graciously throwing down 10k this year and I will be ONLY taking out loans for tuition.

Did USF offer you 25/k for more than just the first year? I am asking because I think a lot of their scholarships are only for the first year and that makes a pretty big difference.


25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:16 am

mbkc03 wrote:25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

Do you know what % that is? like top 40% or so?

mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:19 am

ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

Do you know what % that is? like top 40% or so?


Top 28%

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:20 am

mbkc03 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

Do you know what % that is? like top 40% or so?


Top 28%

:shock: That's a really high stipulation. Have you tried negotiating with them to lower it? I think USF with 25k could be a fine option, but not with that stip.

mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby mbkc03 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 am

ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:25k every year as long as I have a GPA above 3.2. 25k 1st year guaranteed.

Do you know what % that is? like top 40% or so?


Top 28%

:shock: That's a really high stipulation. Have you tried negotiating with them to lower it? I think USF with 25k could be a fine option, but not with that stip.

Hastings is/was my #1 school but my coworker who's a 11' Hastings grad is accruing 13k in interest this year. Hearing this brain f**ked me and I definitely do not want to be in his position come 2015.

skitlets
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:10 am

Re: UC Hastings vs. Univ. San Francisco $$$

Postby skitlets » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 am

Same scholly at USF. I've tried negotiating down the stipulation but they won't budge, so I will be looking elsewhere. Good luck!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 5 guests