IP Law: GULC vs GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC vs GW for Intellectual Property Law

GULC
74%
GW
19%
They are equal
7%

Total votes: 42

bbalcrzy23

IP Law: GULC vs GW

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Most of the discussions I've found on this are quite old.

I've contacted many IP attorneys, legal recruiters, and current law students and the responses have been all over the place. I'd like to start the discussion here.

Technical background + technical work experience.
GULC vs GW?

No scholarships. Sticker at both.

Some of what I've gathered:
GULC
+ T14
+ better for patent litigation
+ much better if you ever decide not to do IP law (not really applicable to me)
- not very IP focused

GW
+ highly ranked IP program
+ IP opportunities: classes, clinics, large IP alumni base
- lower ranking
- many IP students = more competition
- higher ranking due to less competition (probably bad logic although I've heard it from a few attorneys)
Last edited by bbalcrzy23 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t14fanboy

Re: IP Law: GULC vs GW

Postby t14fanboy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm

If both are at sticker there is no reason why you shouldn't go to GULC...

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:58 pm

My experience is out in California, but here is my take: In general, IP firms and practice groups are as prestigious-conscious as firms and practice groups in other areas of law. A GULC graduate will generally have an easier time getting a job in IP law than will a GW graduate.

The IP specialty rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly when one already has technical background and experience. Unless there's some significant factor you haven't shared (like a big scholarship at GW), you should go with GULC.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:30 pm

OP here.

I think the general consensus is that both schools would be pretty equivalent in DC. However, GULC would have more of a national reach if you want to leave DC for your first job.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:32 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:I think the general consensus is that both schools would be pretty equivalent in DC.

Whose general consensus are you referring to?

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
bbalcrzy23 wrote:I think the general consensus is that both schools would be pretty equivalent in DC.

Patent attorneys I've spoken with at firms in DC, particularly the large patent boutiques. I primarily spoken with mid-level associates. I plan on contacting a few hiring partners to get their perspective.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:43 pm

bk1 wrote:

I actually don't think he's far off here, bk. Patent law is a WHOLE different animal. OP should be able to get a great job regardless of where he lands in his class at either of these schools.

DF can probably provide more insight, though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Indifferent wrote:I actually don't think he's far off here, bk. Patent law is a WHOLE different animal. OP should be able to get a great job regardless of where he lands in his class at either of these schools.

DF can probably provide more insight, though.

Oh it was more that I thought he was implying some TLS general consensus and that's not something I had ever seen here (even in regards to IP). I didn't say anything else because I know nothing about IP.

Yeah I'd definitely ask some T14 IP posters on here what they think.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:35 pm

what was your undergraduate major? If it is anything other than electrical or computer engineering, you should go to GULC. If you have EE or similar, you're fine either way.

zylaxice

Postby zylaxice » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:15 pm

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as someone in almost the same situation. I would love to hear insight from anyone interested in IP at either of these schools.

hurldes wrote:what was your undergraduate major? If it is anything other than electrical or computer engineering, you should go to GULC. If you have EE or similar, you're fine either way.

Just curious, why did you single out these two fields? Just because those backgrounds are stronger in IP than a chemical or mechanical background?

dood

Postby dood » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 pm

as a GW IP 3L who was successful at securing a big firm IP job, id still go with GULC if both at sticker, for these reasons:

1) more opportunities at higher ranked vault firms. some of top vault firms dont interview at GW but do so at GULC. if u decide IP is NOT for you, you wont be limited.

2) GULC name = more national reach, though i would argue GW for solely DC IP, since so many IP practioners in this city are GW grads. but u'd better be sure though, see below.

to sum up 1 and 2: a lot can happen in 3 years of law school. i.e., fall in love and decide to move to NYC with girl (unlikely, but not unheard of situation) -> u'r gonna wish u went to GULC when u'r searching for job. my general life policy is always to leave as many doors open as possible.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:43 am

hurldes wrote:what was your undergraduate major? If it is anything other than electrical or computer engineering, you should go to GULC. If you have EE or similar, you're fine either way.

Mechanical engineering. Work experience in power generation industry.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:10 am

bbalcrzy23 wrote:Patent attorneys I've spoken with at firms in DC, particularly the large patent boutiques. I primarily spoken with mid-level associates. I plan on contacting a few hiring partners to get their perspective.

Wanted to point out that this is the equivalent of "jumbo shrimp," you should talk to big_shrimpin. Ok, you can get back to your GW trolling now.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:59 am

bdubs wrote:
bbalcrzy23 wrote:Patent attorneys I've spoken with at firms in DC, particularly the large patent boutiques. I primarily spoken with mid-level associates. I plan on contacting a few hiring partners to get their perspective.

Wanted to point out that this is the equivalent of "jumbo shrimp," you should talk to big_shrimpin. Ok, you can get back to your GW trolling now.

Huh?

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 am

zylaxice wrote:I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as someone in almost the same situation. I would love to hear insight from anyone interested in IP at either of these schools.

Just curious, why did you single out these two fields? Just because those backgrounds are stronger in IP than a chemical or mechanical background?

well I can't actually say much about chemical engineering so perhaps I should have included that major also. But I do know that mechanical engineers are having a lot harder time finding IP jobs than electricals. For this reason, better go to GULC.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 am

bbalcrzy23 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Huh?

He means it's an oxymoron.

But either way talk to big_shrimpin. Always gives good general and GW-specific advice.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 am

monkey85 wrote:
bbalcrzy23 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Huh?

He means it's an oxymoron.

But either way talk to big_shrimpin. Always gives good general and GW-specific advice.

Ya I got that. Was confused about the GW trolling comment.

How do you classify a firm like Finnegan? It's a large firm which does everything relating to IP.....not a patent boutique?

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 am

Why is this?

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 pm

To me, I just always assumed Finnegan is BigLaw. I actually applied to work there as a paralegal, but didn't get the job since they weren't hiring at that point. I work at WilmerHale now, which is right across the street from GW Law. I actually know a lawyer who has worked at Finnegan for a while. He says it's a great place to work.

I am not in law school yet (haven't even taken the LSAT), but I would always choose Georgetown over GW. Not that GW is a bad school, and yes I'm aware that IP is its specialty.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”